Flutts, The Brat and Mommo - OUR BEST TRIP EVER

Bush Brat

Re: Flutts, The Brat and Mommo - OUR BEST TRIP EVER

Post by Bush Brat »

Sept. 29 2010 – Johannesburg to Orpen – Part 2

We left the lioness behind, enjoying the birds and more buffs.

Ground Hornbill

Yellowbilled Kite

A very vocal starling.

Just before Tshokwane we saw more cars stopped. There was an impala in a tree – a dead one! We scanned the whole area but couldn’t find the culprit who had put it there – what a pity! :-(

While we were stopped Mommo got talking to someone coming the other way who told us he had seen a leopard and 2 cheetah within 500 metres of each other near Kumana Dam. It was on the route we were planning on taking and of course I wanted to get there immediately, but it was still a bit of a drive, and who knows if they would still be there! -O

A lone hippo at Mazithi Dam.

By this time it was quite hot and we had been in the car since 3am!! This was thirsty work! IO

As we approached Kumana we could see a few cars were stopped. Something was still there!! I spotted them right away - two cheetah lying in the shade!! O/\ Some of the others took a bit longer – too much thirst quenching perhaps? ^0^ I was so excited (not to mention the rest of us) - our last trip was the first time we had seen cheetah, and now again! O/\ O/\

And, no more than 300 metres away, an even bigger traffic jam! Could we really be that lucky??? We watched the cheetah a bit longer, but it really didn’t look like they were going anywhere so we decided to see what was up ahead… 0() 0()

nan

Post by nan »

wow 2 Cheetahs O/\ O\/ O/\ O\/ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
nice picture of the Ground Hornbill ^Q^ and nice bird too, I like them \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The ground hornbill is a stunner! O:V

But that suspense again! :twisted:

Now what was there up the road? 0()

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Lovely cheetah sighting - nice and in the open.

Please do not do this to us on a weekend nogal - the suspense of what was up ahead. 0' 0'

0() 0() 0()

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I know, I know!! O\/ O\/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

^0^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Post by Toko »

Bush Brat wrote: ... to see what was up ahead… 0() 0()

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

nan

Post by nan »

me too... maybe =O:
thanks to Toko :-?

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

OK, OK, OK!! ^0^
Thanks for all the replies guys and my reply to you guys is the next installment because that is all what you want - I am sure! -O ^0^

Sept. 29 – Johannesburg to Orpen – Part 3

We approached the next traffic jam slowly, scanning the bush. We assumed it was a leopard from what that man had told us earlier. I was the one who spotted it…..in a tree right next to the road. O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

Our first view...

We were quite far from it at first, but people kept leaving and we got closer and closer until we were virtually underneath it! O/\ O/\ O/\ O\/ O\/

Not sure if it was male or female but it was so beautiful so I will call it a ‘she’! She changed positions a few times but seemed quite unconcerned with all the mayhem below. Although, it did look as if she wanted to get down a few times, and probably would have if there had been fewer cars.

We had had a fantastic leopard sighting on our last trip of 3 leopards in the road but in terms of photographic opportunity this was even better! By this time Rex and Johanna were almost speechless – lion, cheetah and now leopard!! What are the chances? We stayed with her for about 45 mins, and then decided we had better move on. We had been in the car all day and still had to check in and unpack, and who knows what else we might still see!

We made quick trip back to the cheetah but they were still in the same place. Moving on we turned off to show Rex and Johanna the baobab tree and then carried on to Nsemani. There was a croc out the water and an ellie who had just finished drinking and was heading back to the road. When we caught up with him, we noticed he had a floppy left ear.

We eventually arrived at Orpen at about 5.20 after a very long day. Check-in was quick and efficient. This was our first time at Orpen , and we found it utterly charming. We were in Unit 13 – a family bungalow - which had 2 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a lovely big verandah. We could see the waterhole quite clearly and lots of animals came down to drink throughout the evening.

We lit the fire and settled down to enjoy our first night in Kruger, and Rex and Johanna marveled over their first day in the African bush. My mom had made a potato bake, thinking there was an oven (there was one in the pic on the website ) but there wasn’t! So we filled a pot with water, put the lid on upside down, put the potato dish on the lid and covered it with another lid – voila - “’n boer maak ‘n plan”! This was accompanied by pork chops, boerewors and avo salad – delicious.

After dinner, we decided to take one last walk to the waterhole before collapsing into bed. Not a minute after getting to the fence, something came to drink – at first we thought it was a lion, but then realized it was a leopard!!! More unbelievable luck!! O/\ O/\ Although, even with everything we had seen, we had not found the Big 5 – no rhino! -O-

My mom went to shower and when I got out I gave the waterhole another peek, and saw a hyena!! Everyone was in bed by now, but of course I had to check it out, so it was back to the fence in my PJ’s!! I now wanted to stay up all night but I was finished, so it was off to bed. Tomorrow was another day! 0() 0() 0()

nan

Post by nan »

wow wow wow this Leopard O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”