Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Polentswa

Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Post by Polentswa »

The approach road into Shimuwini has some beautiful koppies and this one has my favourite Leadwood tree as Sentinel

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
nan

Post by nan »

it must be fantastic... to be there at Christmas O/\ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lunch looks yummy! \O

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Sitting in the shade one Dec after an early game Drive ..watching Mr Paradise Flycatcher feeding the chicks outside No 7 ...(Our unit) ..The orange background is Hut 8
Last edited by Dewi on Sun May 10, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo removed due to exceeding forum limit size.

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Posted on FB by Johan van der Walt:
SHINE 1993 – 2015.
During the mid-nineties (about 1995) a tiny Grey Duiker was abandonded by its mother at Shimuwini and raised by Brenda Watts, wife of the Camp Manager at that time, Frank Watts. The little Duiker ewe was first named Cupie and later renamed Shine.
Shine has never left camp for long and became a fixture to all guests as she sauntered close to welcome every guest at their cottage. An interesting fact is that Duikers usually do not get much older than 12 years at most in the wild and Shine reached the incredible (for a Duiker) age of about 22 years. Shine was in a very good condition due to a variety of factors like an abundance of food, no stress, water availability and a friendly environment. She was a guest of honour at every small wedding and function at Shimuwini.
Christo Knox, Camp Manager of the beautiful Shimuwini, told me last year that their greatest concern was that she would fall prey to a Leopard before she dies of old age. Christo informed me that sadly this happened about a month ago. She fell prey to a hungry Leopard. Shine will be sorely missed by all who knew her.
I will truly miss her warm welcome at the camp and her social calls at my cottage on my next visit to Shimuwini in 2016.
Here is a few photos of my last visit to Shimuwini with Shine visiting me on my stoep.
PS. I just received a message from Stoffel Joubert that was in touch with Brenda Watts today, therefore I have amended this article because it meant that Shine was actually 22 years old - incredible - herewith:

Stoffel Joubert - Johan , I just got hold of Brenda and gave her the sad news...She is now living in Hazyview .. She said that 'Shine' was born in 1993....
Finally some input from Brenda Watts who raised the little Duiker:
Brenda Watts: I am happy to have given the gentle little creature her life. I was called to Mbyamithi by Gwen Louw - April 1993. A duiker had been killed by a leopard and the little one had staggered into the camp. I didn't hesitate...I fetched her and she never looked back. Her umbilical cord was still attached. I have so any fond memories of her. She simply stole my heart and I am the richer for having had her in my life.

nan

Post by nan »

I saw that on FB.... sad... sad... but nice story 0/0

Alf

Post by Alf »

Sad to know that shine won't be there next time we visit Shimuwini but this camp is calling me O** O**

..0.. ..0.. ..0.. ..0..

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Prinsadam was there this weekend...they stopped at a low-water bridge on the access road to look at a bateleur when his son spotted this! :-0

q.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

wow... a beauty :-0 ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

He looks very sleepy ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Camps of Kruger”