Stock Libraries

Discuss the technical side of photography
Sprocky

Re: Stock Libraries

Post by Sprocky »

Michele, get in there...

These two images just sold a few minutes ago in South America...

Use this link when you register...

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=1762706

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Wow..lovely images Sprocky....
Yes I will get in there..when I can call my life my own again....thx for the link...:)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Nice...well done! \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I'm also in the process of submitting to Dreamstime and iStockphoto.

iStockphoto only require 3 images to be submitted for approval so I gave them 3 of the images that Shutterstock said were OK O**

Dreamstime seem to work a bit differently. They don't require a sample of your work, you can just submit any pictures you want to. They then restrict the number of pictures you can upload per week depending on how many rejections you get.

Sprocky : Have you filled in a W8-BEN US tax exemption form? I didn't see this mentioned on Shutterstock but it seems that if you don't complete one (before you ask for SS to pay you) the US IRS will deduct 30% of your commission as tax. :shock: :shock:

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

BluTuna wrote:I'm also in the process of submitting to Dreamstime and iStockphoto.

iStockphoto only require 3 images to be submitted for approval so I gave them 3 of the images that Shutterstock said were OK O**

Dreamstime seem to work a bit differently. They don't require a sample of your work, you can just submit any pictures you want to. They then restrict the number of pictures you can upload per week depending on how many rejections you get.

Sprocky : Have you filled in a W8-BEN US tax exemption form? I didn't see this mentioned on Shutterstock but it seems that if you don't complete one (before you ask for SS to pay you) the US IRS will deduct 30% of your commission as tax. :shock: :shock:
BT, I don't want to shoot Dreamstime and iStockphoto down, but take a look at the SS forum and read there what people that submit to them think. iStock have just had another case of claiming money back from contributors. SS is the most difficult one to get images accepted on, but they also have the best sales. Take a look at News24 and other news sites, they mainly use Shutterstock images.

I haven't filled in the W8-BEN US tax exemption form yet, but I will when the time gets closer. \O

Have another go at Shutterstock, even post a few pics on their forum for critique, it helps a lot when you hear from the pro's about what works with a stock image. They will give you technical guidance, I use a lot of their tips and i am now getting almost no rejections.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I am going to take another shot at SS, the guys on the forum say it's best to submit 10 new images for approval so that's my task for this weekend. I also plan to put them on the forum's critique thread for their advice before submitting them to SS.

As far as Dreamstime and iStockphoto are concerned, they are second prize after SS. SS is not exclusive so I will put some images on the other two just to see how they go.

I'm going to leave that tax form until I need it - bureaucrats! :O^ :O^ 0*\

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I have just had a look and SA has a 0% tax withholding treaty in place. I have asked the question on the SS forum and I will let you know once I have an answer. \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

From what I see on the Dreamstime site, you have to complete the W8-BEN form in order to get the exemption but I'll be very interested to hear what the SS guys say!

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I just read it through again and it looks as if it must be completed to exclude a person from the tax. You were right. \O

I have submitted mine, it takes a few seconds.

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

BT, I'm trying DT as well. Submitted one of my rejected shots from SS to see what happens. O** If they accept it, I will send all my rejects that way as exclusive. \O

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”