Krugertripping this Summer...

nan

Re: Krugertripping this Summer...

Post by nan »

wow Heksie ^Q^
love the green Snake... superb color, superb photos O/\
the second sunrise is magnificent O\/
like too the Hyenas O/\
and of course the Comb-billed Duck O\/ (I still have to find one 0*\ )
and... and...

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I thought you had ducked on this TT ;-) You are a few behind now --00--

Great sunrise pics ^Q^ ^Q^

The junior hyena seem very relaxed O:V

Not sure on that snake :-?

Too tired for a dop around the fire :shock:

Hey, you must give me a shout when you head south on the 18th. Maybe we can link up on your way down O/\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, that was a huge herd of ellies!! :shock: \O \O Love the hynies!! ;-)

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Guys I'm so sorry, I've been very bad, but now I have made a pledge that I will at least spend 1 hour every day on the forum so that I can make up for everything...
Eish man 0:

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Wheres you been Heksie? Just awol I hope and nothing untoward. \O

Looking forward to the rest of your TT. 0()

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 27… a long day’s drive pays off
6 January 2013
This morning everybody is up early and ready to explore the south as we have our first full day here were apparently everything is happening, not like we had a dry spell the past few days…
It was an anonymous decision that we would travel the S28 then check out Dukes waterhole and take the S130 to have a brekkie at CB.
The drive starts out slowly and not a lot is to be seen but as we get near Dukes waterhole we stumble upon a huge herd of buffs.

And just after that we came upon a car with very friendly Krugerians telling us that 2 lionesses just crossed the road. We missed them but as we move slowly forward we catch them drinking water from a small puddle just before then S130 intersection and then they look in our direction and immediately start running in the other direction. We turn our heads into the direction they were looking at (which was in front of us) and got a lekker skrik as well…

As this meneer were strolling in our direction and was too close for comfort…

We reverse and wait till he decides to get off the road and then turn unto the S130. We see a few general game and then a car waves us down from the front. He informs us that there were lions with a kill just before CB and there aren’t a lot of cars so we will have a great sighting. Very excited we thanked them and then we were on our way again. Well, uhm, we knew that we reached the sighting as there were a lekker traffic jam that greeted us by the time that we got to the camp. But the good thing was that the lions were spread out so no matter where you parked, you had a sighting. We took a few then moved on. We had some left over chicken sosaties and fresh rolls, then we were on the road again. Some more cars and lions that we had to pass…

We got a cheeky ellie on our way back that gave my mum a big skrik, I had such a laugh and got to take a kiekie of him.

Then also a an European roller with a kill.

We were back in camp by 10:00 and chilled a bit. Whilst reading our neighbours very excitedly called us over as there were a spotted bush snake right next to their camp. I went ballistic, grabbing the camera and calling the fam to join me. Sorry if I went a bit overboard with the kiekies…

We left the serpent after I got my full and relaxed a bit. By 1:00 it was scorching hot and I decided that I would rather drive around then sweat in camp so I shooed my mum and sis into my car and we were off again. We took the S130 again and about 6km on the road got a JJ, with 2 more cars in the road. We slowly crept near and was soon informed that there were a leopard sleeping under the branch…

Do you see him? Cause we definitely didn’t, so we sat, and waited, and the JJ left after 30 minutes… And every now and then a tail flicked and we waited, then something strange happened. We heard someone screaming, it was in one of the other cars, we peered out of the windows and checked how the girl in the car twice tried to get out of the car, she was screaming at the top of her lungs (maybe some love gone wrong) and the omie in the bakkie next to us started swearing/shouting at them to be quiet… so they just took off. And then it happened…

We were very excited as we were able to see a leopard now and we were only 2 cars. Then after a few minutes the crazy mobile returned, there were enough space for them to get past us but the women hooted for us to move so I reversed and then she decide to stop in my spot, the bakkie-oom then shared a few words with her and then rushed off again. The leopard was not happy with the commotion so he stood up and lucky for us, we were facing the right direction so we followed him, he then sat down and yawned a few times and showed off.

After a about 20 minutes or so, he stood up and walked off. It was about 3:00 now and I was so glad that I decided to take a drive rather than stay in camp. We also made a decision that we would take the S29 for our afternoon drive, so we turned around and were on our way back to LS. We didn’t even drive 1km when about 6 cars came from the front, they just missed the leopard sighting and we were blessed not to sit in such a huge traffic jam.
The afternoon drive was full of general game, it was calm and quiet, a great way to end a fantastic day in the South. We also got to tick a rhino today as well which was a bonus as I don’t really see so many in the Park. But then when we got to the end of the S29 we were surprised by another amazing sighting. I heard ‘yelping’, something I’ve heard before on the Disney DVD ‘African Cats’ and I just knew what it was. I couldn’t see anything but I crawled slowly up and down just listening intently. Then it appeared….
Not a great sighting but a first for my sis and proof that we saw one.

The time was ticking and we had to leave him otherwise we wouldn’t make it to the gate in time but we were so happy with our day. That night we had dinner with Leachy at his hut and it was great kuiering with another forumite again. I was already missing my camping crew of the first two weeks…
We talked till late and it was off to bed again as another early morning awaited.
To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Sorry Dewi, I've been hectic busy, school, we are only 2 accounting teachers at our school and one went on maternity leave now so I have grades that Inever did before, so it is planning all the way. I don't want to be unprepared for my classes as well as it we are busy practicing for a revue and it is blah blah blah. a bit is my fault as well as I just didn't make time for the forum... But I have been missing you okes so much I just had to plan better so every night I will gooi 'n draai on the forum :-0

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

You can't be bad...you are a teacher! :-)

0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Hahahaha thanks RP, that is what you think?
teachers can haak-uit every now and then as well...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Heksie wrote:teachers can haak-uit every now and then as well...
We have to! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”