Elephant Ears and Newbies

Moggiedog

Re: Elephant Ears and Newbies

Post by Moggiedog »

Thank you guys for staying with my stop/start trip report. I have had endless computer problems and connection problems to the forum - but hopefully all sorted out.

Always decisions, decisions, decisions - especially when more than one family/group are involved. Finally duration and start time were agreed on and BIL and SIS could go and book the boat. We had decided on a motor boat and not a mokora. We wanted to traverse more of the river than we could in a mokora and my going by motor boat we could cruise and stop when there was anything of interest to see.
Loaded with our sun downers and cameras we headed to the jetty to embark on our trip away from dust and mud. Every one was in very high spirits and looked forward to letting someone else do the 'driving"
We were soon on our way and passing the lodges for people who prefr less pimitive accommodation than a tent.
ImageImage
The scenery was fantastic and as always - plenty of bird life around.
ImageImageImageImage
Plus the odd elephant thrown into the mix.
All to soon we were homeward bound - and once again the debate started on whether we should extend the trip by an hour or two. As some of us were on a budget we were concerned about the additional cost - the captain - of course- was all too eager to have us on board for an extra hour or so. Finally sanity won and we headed for home.
ImageImage
Safely off the boat the obligatory group photo! With the exception of a few who do not like to be in front of the lens.........
Sometime though they do happen to be at the wrong place at the right time (for other people's cameras)

After a twilight walk to perform the necessary - on my return I think I was asleep even before my head even hit the pillow. From a deep, deep sleep to the sound of a howling gale and what at first sounded like heavy rain beating down on the tent I was up and awake in a flash. Once I gathered my scattered wits about me I realized it was impossible that storm had broken overhead - totally the wrong time of the year. I patted around for some form of light when it dawned on me the shadow over my tent was in the very distinct shape of an elephant.
Now if you have ever tried to open a tent zip silently - you will know it is a physical impossibility. Centimeter by centimeter I slowly pulled the zip for the window before I realized the side of the tent was pushed inwards. Peering through the small opening I had managed to make I came nose to leg with an elephant.
Moving across the tent I again slowly opened the door and poked my head outside. The big grey ambled across the door of the tent and stopped to examine what we had on our table. Hardly daring to breath - I could see the couple opposite trying to signal to me. They could not see my tent - just elephant.
He slowly walked across to my SIS and BIL's tent and examined the rubbish bag that had been put on the top of the vehicle. With an almighty crash he had the bag on the ground and examined everything in the bag. Finding nothing to his taste he delicately examined their table without knocking any item over. By now the people opposite could see I was unharmed and quickly ducked bag into their tent as ellie investigated their table. He then slowly walked back to my tent and every time he flapped his ears he clipped my tent with his ear - it felt as if I was being buffeted by a strong wind. I am not sure how long he stood there before he walked across the camp site - and with a sound like a pistol shot snapped a couple of tonnage strain nylon rope and disappeared towards the next camp site. What was amazing - he had stepped over the rope where my tent was without any damage and proceed to rub his head on the tree behind my tent.
With alarmed calls everyone was calling out to find out if I was now the shape of "road kill" or I was still plump and round and jolly. We laughed about the fact that Newbie, BIL and SiS had slept through it all!
I settled back down into my bed, awed by the experience - but then the reality hit and my heart was pounding like a ten pound hammer. I must admit in retrospect it was a bit of a frightening experience - and the first time I have ever had elephant "ear conditioning" in my tent...............

The first thing I did the following morning was to move my bed to the middle of my tent!

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Well..... :O^ :O^

I will sleep in the car, thank you. :-?

This was a life time experience, maybe never to be repeated. How many toes does an ellie have. :-0

Your sightings from the boat was great. Lovely birds. ^Q^

Really enjoy your 'wild' travels.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
pooky

Post by pooky »

Wow moggiedog - what an experience 0*\ \O \O

They are not called gentle giants for nothing ^Q^ ^Q^

Great pics from your boat trip \O \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Scary stuff, but a story to tell for years!! \O \O

Toko

Post by Toko »

nose to leg with an elephant
:shock: :shock: :shock:

not for the faint- nosed O-/

Great episode, Moggiedog O:V O:V O:V

nan

Post by nan »

thank you Moggiedog for sharing O/\
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And here I was thinking that the ellie encounters could hardly get any closer for you lot
than they had been before. But an elephant ear conditioning is definitely a bit out of
the ordinary! I think, you were very brave. I might have just passed out in order not to
start screaming and screeching like a little girl. :-0

Great experience and great narration of it! O0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

As you may guess - the main topic of conversation before we hit the road - was the visit by the elephant and the fact that people actually slept through all the excitement.
This day we were driving in convoy to check out some of the road conditions as we had been told the route we had planned to Savuti may be a bit tricky also it just happens to be one of the nicest drives in Moremi.
Totally different terrain from our previous days driving - although there was still plenty of mud pools to play in.
Once again I warned Newbie about his following distance - which only lasted a few moments before he was too close to the car in font. Mental not to self - keep your trap shut!
General game was plentiful. Elephant and buffalo, buck and giraffe, zebra and warthog but still no cats.
ImageImage
We came to the conclusion we were jinxed. The few people we had spoke to had seen lion on kills - we hadn't even heard a lion! In fact predators in general were extremely scarce.

Chatting away - Newbie once again begged me to wake him up if the elephant came into camp again. Laughing I stated it is impossible to wake the dead. He promised me that if he heard my voice in the middle of the night in the bush he would be instantly awake. Hadn't I heard this all before? I eventually promised I would wake him should anything out of the ordinary happen during the night.

As per usual - the bush runs in a different time zone to reality and the minutes and hours fly by way faster than in the real world - but this did not prevent us from enjoying what animals and birds came into view as well as the beautiful scenery we were driving through. The radio crackled and with it the air in the car - Leopard in a tree not far off the road. With a huge grin newbie looked at me - speechless (for a change). We were not that far behind the convoy - but a good enough distance that we couldn't see the lead car. Newbies first extinct was to floor the accelerator and get to the tree as fat as possible. I managed to convince him it would serve no purpose and we could land up by getting stuck if we didn't pay attention to the road and were speeding.Image
Once some of the water obstacles and sandpits had been traversed - there it was - surveying it's land from a lordly height in its tree

As usual way too many photo's were taken and far too much time spent watching a cat laze in a tree!

The rest of our drive was comparatively quiet on the animal front but certainly not a case of seeing nothing.
Back at camp darkness was overshadowing the light slowly and surely. Newbie decided it was too dark for me to walk to the showers so he kindly drove me down and waited to take me home.

Just after our evening meal - all hell broke loose in the camp down the way. Once again the banging of pots, car doors slamming and yelling and shouting. Ellie was once again looking for dinner. He decided the two legged creatures were making far to much noise and he ambled towards us. Once again he veered round our "fence" and disappeared into the gloom. He had obviously decided our tents/vehicles offered slim pickings and it was a waste of effort and time to revisit us.

Once again I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. It was roughly midnight when I went from a prone position to an upright position in an instance. I couldn't see a thing in the pitch dark and the first thought that went through my head was "Oh (word not fit for a family forum - he is back!). Then I realized it was a very strange sound that had woken me. Not for love or money could I figure out what the noise was. Baffled and confused I figured out it was two different sounds. A deep rumbling growling sound followed by a strange snoring snorting sound.
Last edited by Moggiedog on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

=O: =O: Thr snorting snoring sound can only be a man....

please don't keep us in suspense with the rumbling growling.. :O^

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

=O: =O: Amoli I was going to carry on but started having problems with coms - but I am back...

Various animals flashed through my mind but I couldn't place the noises at all. Deciding enough is enough I lay down to go back to sleep when my wits finally rejoined my brain! Shooting out of bed and once again attempted to open the zips quietly - as usual - mission impossible. The growling rumbling sound was coming from the elephant. I was trying hard to stifle my laughter as it sounded as if Newbie and his snorting snoring and the elephant were having a conversation. When Newbies snores stopped the growling sound from the elephant started - when the elephant stopped - Newbie snored. I stuck my head out of the tent and called in as loud a voice as I dared to Newbie to wake up. I was answered with weird snuffling sounds from his tent. I called again and again and again - each time a tad louder. By now the elephant was wide awake but Newbie slept on.......... So much for waking instantly if he heard my voice in the middle of the night in the bush...but I still love him :-)
On the verge of giving up I sat cross legged in the door of my tent enjoying the close proximity of the elephant when I realised the snoring had stopped. Then a ZZZzzzzzzzztttttttt noise of Newbie opening his tent. He was just about to crawl out when I warned him he would be crawling under an elephant belly!
Newbie looked like the smile of the Cheshire cat - gleaming white teeth in the darkness was all I could see of him, as he watched the elephant.
Once again the elephant was disappointed. Before we had retired for the night we ensured everything had been packed away and only naked tables tempted his trunk. He turned across the camp only to be confronted with the cover of one of the trailers hanging in his path. He flung the cover into the bushes as if is was a small piece of paper. It sounded like the sails of a ship in a hurricane as it sailed across the camp. He walked over to the far tent - plonked his bum on the bonnet of the vehicle - pushed his head into a tree and went to sleep. The people in the rooftop tent never uttered a sound. We knew they were awake because we could see the trailer rocking.
Newbie wanted to try and get photo's and was out of the tent with a camera. I hadn't told him the flash had been turned off. He handed me the camera to see what was wrong - I had no intention of fixinf the problem as I felt taking flash photo's of an elephant that was no more then 15 (if that meters) away from us was not the most intelligent of moves.
After a quick cat nap the ellie moved around to the far side of the camp knocking down the awning from the trailer's tent on his way - only to go back to sleep under the tree. This was my cue to go back to sleep as well.
Tomorrow was another day...............

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”