Kalahari Reflections March 2014*

GavinW

Re: Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post by GavinW »

Sorry about the short post last night. I was really tired :o0ps:

We left camp at first light and headed south as one does from KTC

First up this morning was this gemsbok kicking up some dust in the valley.

Followed by this Martial Eagle, which was pointed out to us by some friends from Cape Town who we bumped into. (Such a small world!)

Surprisingly, Blondie and his cronies were still hanging around the Craig Lockhart waterhole.

We stopped briefly to admire them, but we were keen to get down to the Gemsbok kill to see what was left of the carcass.

Not much, but lots of action.

The local black backed jackals were having a field day,

and when they moved off a bit, the white backed vultures would come in for their share of the spoils.

We really found this interesting, especially the interaction between the two groups, hence the overkill in the number of photos:

After a while we carried on down further south..

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

March 14 continued

Firstly I need to explain that I am currently in the busiest time of the year at work with a whole lot of exhibitions happening for the next week, so I apologise in advance that I won’t be posting again for a week or so (Unless I get a lucky break which I doubt)
O/

But then they say all good things come to those who (have to ) :twisted:

We decided after a while to leave the black and whites to their squabbles and scraps of food and to carry on south to see what else lay in store for us.

First up at Dalkieth was this stunning herd of springbok. It was one of the largest bookie herds we had seen so far. Just wondered where the cheetahs were!! :-?

As we carried on we met up with Eric and his SO who told us to look out for a lion high up on the dune on the 14th loop. We thanked him and carried on

Along the way this Martial Eagle was posing nicely for us, but facing the wrong way.

Talk about a bum shot!!

We waited and waited for it to turn around, but it had us on total ignore, and eventually took off and flew away.

Then we spotted Enrico’s lion. A big chap high up on the dune. Asleep.

We waited about 15 minutes before he got up and moved down the dune to some shrubbery which offered a bit more shade.

Typical cat!!

At Thirteenth borehole we met up with Will and Jubee, and after chilling with them for a while, Will pointed out the next arrivals at the waterhole

All I could say was Wow Wow Wow

Wildies are my favourite!!

After that adrenalin rush we carried on to the dead trees of Kamqua, had a quick break and headed back.
Near Urikaruus we saw this sleepy chap

And if you thought that the owl was sleepy, back at Craig Lockhart these guys continued to take the cake.

We left them, returned to camp and quickly followed their examples.

Our evening drive down to Craig Lockhart produced a pic we need to post especially for Chris and Kelly Collie

As well of that evenings sunset

The lions were doing the same old ,same old

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Day 10: March 14 A day of contrasts

Ok so I am going to sneak in a tiny postto help turn the page :twisted: (Sorry mods!!) :o0ps:

The morning started like any other KTC morning with a stunning sun rise

Today we were moving the 50 or so kilometres down to Urikaruus for one night. Our original booking had us staying at Uri for 4 nights, but that got negotiated out the window and we had to settle for only one. Still one night is better than none.

We decided to go out for our usual morning drive…., how predictable, before returning to pack up camp (sorry the chalet - old habits ), do some shopping etc at Mata Mata and then head down to Uri.

Surprise Surprise, Craig Lockhart delivered yet another lion. \O
This time a really, and I mean really smelly female, who was looking a bit worse for wear.

It appeared as if she had some sort of skin infection. She was not a very happy lady.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Lisbeth wrote:
Mel wrote: Wonder if the one coming down from the dunes was Old Badmouth? -O-
Judging from the photos that I have seen, it looks like him. Another lion with the left side of the mouth hanging down would be hard to find ;-)
that is if he is still alive. We last saw him in 2012 on a kill, and it seemed as if he still had the infrastructure of a pride around him then

He was very far away this year so I cannot confirm that for sure -O-
Hope so though

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Day 10 : We carry on south

We left the lady at Dalieth as she wandered off being carefully watched by the locals

One thing about the Kgalagadi at this time of year are the flowers on the side of the road

Including the bug!

A bit further down the road there was a small road block. One tourist insisted that he had seen a cheetah up on the dunes, but nobody was convinced... digital zoom has it's advantages \O

This trip produced very few giraffe sightings, but this was the best we had.

We returned to camp, and the Urikaruus waterhole had these visitors while we had lunch.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

To continue......

After a bit of R and R at Urikaruus, we decided to wander down south that afternoon to se what was going on between the two Dune Roads.

One thing we noticed was that whilst the Kgalagadi was really green north of Urikaruus, and also south of Achterlonie, the section between the two dune roads was really dry. I suppose the rain gods just forgot that section of the park -O-

As a result our trip was relativley quiet.

except for this Swallow tailed Bee-eater who was on display

and a lioness, on the far side of the riverbed, playing with /eating?? a tortoise.

With another wonerful day under the belt we headed back to Urikaruus for our only night at the camp.

All was quiet that evening, but that was not important.

We just soaked up the fact that we were privilaged enough just to be there. :dance:

Wishing I was in the KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'm quite positive that your cheetah is Lisette. O\/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Thanks for helping turn the page X#X

Was that Dakotah???

Leaving Urikaruus is always hard. In the past we usually spent our last or second last night at Urikaruus, which has made it even harder to leave knowing that our holiday was almost over.

This year was different however, as we were not quite finished. We still had six nights to go at Rooiputs. That in itself was a new challenge as we were going back into our tent after having spent the last four or so nights in accommodation.
Something we had not done before.

Early coffee and an early drive down south was on the agenda.

All was pretty quiet animal wise, but the birds did not disappoint.

These two eagles, a tawny and a snake eagle, were doing their early morning ablutions in a puddle in the road near Rooibrak,

We also saw this pygmy falcon

A snake eagle

And a herd of gemsbokke

We returned back to camp, packed up the Jap and set off for Rooiputs..

We decided to head north first.

We went as far as 14th borehole before turning around to head back south.

Just before the start of the 13th borehole loop we spotted a car on the side of the road watching a leopard!!! Wow, we were so excited. O\/

Then two things happened at once. Firstly the leopard decided that the other car had got too close and headed off across the road and up the dune, and as I was attempting to get a better view of it, I pulled over to the right hand side of the road to get a better vantage.

Next thing a SAP policeman pulls up alongside me and proceeds to lambaste me for parking facing against the oncoming (non existent) traffic.

I mean really. :shock: :shock: :evil:

All this ,while we were trying to watch the leopard, which quickly disappeared over the dune.

Debs managed to get two proof pics of the leopard

I don’t normally swear, but I had a few choice words for that $@#$%^&^R$

We wondered if we hadn’t just met up again with Dakotah, a leopard we had seen and had had the privilege of naming way back in May 2008, who had been seen recently in the area.

Here are a few pics of him back then.

What do you think?

Wishing I was in the KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Methinks, you found Tsamma \O The spots on the outer right hind leg fit well and so do those at the end of her tummy
(that what's visible in your photo).

I guess, we better watch out next time in the park with the SAPD around. :shock:

Great raptor show! ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Mel wrote:BTW, Gavin, can we use your leopards and cheetahs for the KTP sighting threads? 0:
And actually any plants, insects, reptiles and so for all our reference books. O**
No problem at all Mel, glad to be of assistance :-)

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”