Kruger Park Sightings IPHONE IPAD APP

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
graham

Re: Kruger Park Sightings IPHONE IPAD APP

Post by graham »

That "diversion" can easily be removed by Latest Sightings if they delayed all cat posts.

Interesting - I was looking at my honeyguide map, and they have an app as well. "In order to avoid congestion and and unnecessary rushing to sightings, the synching of lion and leopard sightings are delayed by 12 hours".

I would rather spend the whole day without a single sighting than rush around with my face in a phone. 0=

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja of course, Graham. \O

But others do like that,and they pay their entry etc, so who are we to dismiss them out of hand? I'm just saying that the speeding/congestion thing is multi-faceted, and open to debate/facts. What is an undisputed fact is that the apps provide a lot of joy for people worldwide who can not go to the park.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Not sure if any/many OSV use the app but I have seen a number of OSV's on the recent trip openly using radios for sightings that I would say radios are probably allot more of an issue regarding traffic flows and congestion as they work while they are far away from camps .The app and all cellphones only work where there is signal .I personal don't use it-have played with it and used it before going to the park to plan -prefer to find my own when in the park but to each their own. I agree with R.P. that there seems to be some kind of agenda behind the current Sanparks assault on Latest sightings and pretty sure there is/will be some financial reason behind this that will become apparent O** O** As far as speeding goes enforcement of the existing rules can sort that out but again in a 7 day trip recently I saw 0 speed enforcement operations during peak period -O-

graham

Post by graham »

Lets not confuse the issues.

Latest Sightings is a great idea for trip planning etc but I wish they would delay posts for cat sightings so as to remove any chance or accusation that people are using the app to speed to sightings.
OSVs using radios are a separate problem. This needs to be stopped but is not a reason for saying that using the Latest Sightings app is ok. It is a typical SA response that we condone one action because another is worse or similar. If you support LS then don't complain about OSVs using radios.

In November I saw two speed traps in an 18 day stay.

graham

Post by graham »

Richprins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 pm But others do like that,and they pay their entry etc, so who are we to dismiss them out of hand?
I don't follow this argument. Paying the entrance fee has nothing to do with it. Would you agree if I said visitors should be allowed to take in alcohol for drinking at picnic spots (obviously not the driver =O: ) and that glass containers (beer bottles) should be allowed in swimming pools?

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

The original press release from SANPARKS included both the app as well as use of radios as well .The discussion should cover all aspects IMHO -O- viewtopic.php?f=79&t=446&start=560#p482695
\O Glad that you saw some traps .I was expecting to see at least one after the issues earlier this year and during the busiest days of December to see at least one - we were down south with the highest concentration of vehicles and did not once see any enforcement.

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

graham wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm
Richprins wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 pm But others do like that,and they pay their entry etc, so who are we to dismiss them out of hand?
I don't follow this argument. Paying the entrance fee has nothing to do with it. Would you agree if I said visitors should be allowed to take in alcohol for drinking at picnic spots (obviously not the driver =O: ) and that glass containers (beer bottles) should be allowed in swimming pools?
:no: :no: dont ask R.P. that question it might not turn out the way you expect --00-- --00-- =O: =O:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

graham wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm

The thing is the app is NOT illegal, no matter how they make it out, while radios are illegal and enforcable. :-0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Discussion on plans to cut cellphone reception here:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 69#p483569

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”