Tamron 150-600 Review

Discuss the technical side of photography
PJL

Re: Tamron 150-600 Review

Post by PJL »

If you're looking at a brand new Sigma 150-600 contemporary version then I would say go for it if you can get it cheaper than the Tamron. I really don't think there's a huge amount of difference in image quality between the 2 from what I've heard and read about them. Generally over here in SA, the Sigma is slightly more expensive than the Tamron, so it's good if you're able to get it cheaper \O

mattie010

Post by mattie010 »

Sounds good! It is brand new and from a good webshop which does provide the normal Sigma warranty. Did a little comparising in a shop and am pretty sure I will order it this week! :)

PJL

Post by PJL »

mattie010 I bet you can't wait to try it out O/\
Let us know your thoughts on it \O

mattie010

Post by mattie010 »

Sooo.... New problems in front of me. I just found out that (at the same webshop) they sell the tamron now and it is even way cheaper. PJL (and others?) does it really make no difference? The finetuning is not something I want to spend 2250 Rand (150 euro) on. I think this is a great deal now, so might just go for the tamron, but really don't know it anymore now... 0*\ O**

Really am in doubt now, was going to buy the sigma this evening, but now the tamron seems to have the edge -O-

Sorry to bother you all lol ;-)

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

If it's cheaper, go for the Tamron! It's a very good lens and probably much the same as the Sigma, image quality wise.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
mattie010

Post by mattie010 »

Ordered the Tamron an hour ago, image quality wise it will be the same, but the sigma has some little advantages with panning and stabilizer modes. Otherwise, the tamron is way cheaper now. Will show some test images here once I am used to it. O/\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Enjoy your new toy mattie! [O]

PJL

Post by PJL »

Excellent Mattie O/\ O/\
mattie010 wrote:The finetuning is not something I want to spend 2250 Rand (150 euro) on.
Was that a feature of the Sigma version or something? Depending what body you've got you can do lens micro-adjustments - I have done so on my Canon 70D for the Tamron \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

One of my colleagues reads all the blurb about photography and according to him, the Sigma Sport lens is not much better than the Tamron or Sigma Contemporary. Certainly not enough to warrant the extra price tag! If I was going to get a 20k plus lens, I'd be waiting for the new Nikon 200-400 (correction 200-500) and even then I'd be checking out the comparisons before I forked out that sort of cash.

The Nikon D7x00 series and up also allows lens fine tuning so you don't need it on the lens itself.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Tamron. I have been posting my bird pictures taken with my Tamron on the following Topics. Pics before April were taken with a Nikon D5100 and since are with a D7200.

Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary
Rondebult Bird Sanctuary
Marievale Nature Reserve

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

PJL wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:34 pm If you're looking at a brand new Sigma 150-600 contemporary version then I would say go for it if you can get it cheaper than the Tamron. I really don't think there's a huge amount of difference in image quality between the 2 from what I've heard and read about them. Generally over here in SA, the Sigma is slightly more expensive than the Tamron, so it's good if you're able to get it cheaper \O
The Tamron G2 version is THE go to Wildlife lens ..The G1 is a non starter ..The G2 is the biggest find of my photographic career and first non Nikon big lens and it really delivers
Tamron-SP-150-600mm-G2-Side-Switches.jpg

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”