Tamron 150-600 Review

Discuss the technical side of photography
Peter Connan

Re: Tamron 150-600 Review

Post by Peter Connan »

BluTuna wrote:Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one. I think that alone is enough to warrant the continued use of BBf.

My Nikon only has the single AF-L/AE-L button on the top right which can be reassigned to AF-ON. It looks like the D7xxx range is the same.
If you really need an AE lock, I think you can program the Function button to do this? Never use it myself.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Peter Connan wrote:
BluTuna wrote:Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one. I think that alone is enough to warrant the continued use of BBf.

My Nikon only has the single AF-L/AE-L button on the top right which can be reassigned to AF-ON. It looks like the D7xxx range is the same.
If you really need an AE lock, I think you can program the Function button to do this? Never use it myself.
I've used it once or twice but can do without it. I use the Fn button to control ISO.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Looking at AE lock , think I will use it only when doing photo stacking, will be doing that in April in the Rigterveld. I would love to try this lens :-( :-( out

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

PRWIN wrote:Looking at AE lock , think I will use it only when doing photo stacking, will be doing that in April in the Rigterveld. I would love to try this lens :-( :-( out
Manual exposure will do it!

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

BluTuna wrote:
PRWIN wrote:Looking at AE lock , think I will use it only when doing photo stacking, will be doing that in April in the Rigterveld. I would love to try this lens :-( :-( out
Manual exposure will do it!
;-) Thinking of trying both :-)

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

BluTuna wrote:
Peter Connan wrote:

I've used it once or twice but can do without it. I use the Fn button to control ISO.
I shoot in two different modes. Either in Aperture Priority with "Easy ISO" enabled (which means that you can change the ISO by turning the second control wheel, without having to press any buttons), or in Manual with auto-ISO enabled...

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

At the moment I have switched to the D800 (Top Native ISO 6400 with plenty noise at 1600 and that's on FX ..WHAT was I THINKING???) and a very slow 80-400 F4.5 - 5.6 (Great fair weather lens well after sunrise ) This is an example of what a bog standard situation at 06h40 in Winter Aug month in Kruger sun almost rising ..Auto ISO runs up to 3200 (Nikon D3S plus 500 @ F4 giving 1/500th sec ) On my current rig @ f5.6 and ISO 400 to give the same no noise on the D800 ..result No pic possible ..Operation get back to where I was is well under way O/\

My Studio camera D800 and Nikon 80-400 f5.6 AFS G combo wouldn't be able to get this at all...light too dim ..a walk in the Park with the old F4 lens and a camera that could give ISO 10 000 noise free..Thats why I worry about these new lenses at F6.3 wide open vs F4 in low light??? like the Sigma 150-600 and the Tamron
Last edited by Dewi on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo removed for exceeding forum limit.

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
PJL

Post by PJL »

Polentswa wrote:Thats why I worry about these new lenses at F6.3 wide open vs F4 in low light??? like the Sigma 150-600 and the Tamron
If you're aiming to get back to your 500mm f4 kit etc then you certainly don't need to worry about the sigma/tamron options.

Personally I'm still really enjoying the tamron. Yes it's not perfect in low light situations, but I've not found any major issues with focus speed in those cases and my camera can produce some acceptable images up to ISO6400 such as the one below (by acceptable I know that's a personal statement... some would find the noise too much).

There's a price difference of about R100,000 between say the tamron and a nikon 500mm f4 (it's similar on the canon side as well). I'm unfortunately not in a position to spend that kind of money so I'll happily make do with my alternative \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I bought a D7200 a few weeks ago and the focusing problems I was having with the Tamron and the D5100 have gone away. Like you said PJL, it was an incompatibility between the lens and camera.

I'm really loving the new camera and lens and have noticed an improvement in image quality with the new, outstanding sensor (for a crop frame camera) that the D7200 has.

Noise, blur or a soft image only really matters to me if I'm showing the image at a size where these faults are visible. I feel that many photographers have a mindset that every picture they show has to be pin-sharp when viewed at 100% even if they are only going to display the uncropped image on their TV or share it on facebook as a 800x600 resize.

Wouldn't we all love to own prime, Nikon/Canon, lenses - I wish I had the R200k+ spare to buy a full frame body plus the lenses. Unfortunately, unless I win a substantial amount on the Lotto it ain't gonna happen!

And PJL, excellent Leopard shot \O

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Sure I will be spending a lot of time around this thread in the months to come and learn from it...

My birthday present has arrived (much too early lol )

A Canon 70D and 600 Tamron lens... O/\ O/\ - Thanks for showing me what it is capable of BT. X#X

Will try it out in the park this weekend. \O

O/\ O/\

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”