Advice for newbies?

Information & Discussion on Hluhluwe/Imfolozi
Flutterby

Advice for newbies?

Post by Flutterby »

The Brat, Mommo and I will be spending 3 nights at Mpila at the end of the month. O:V The last time I was there must be about 40 years ago, when Hluhluwe and iMfolozi were still separate parks and I only have vague memories of Hilltop camp and very hilly roads.

We are so excited, but someone on FB had this to say...
We were there in Jan....what a shock....the roads are riddled with pot holes and I'm not joking....the driver cannot look for animals as has to navigate the road....Believe me nothing has changed since you were there aged 5!!! No maintenance no nothing!!! The bush is beautiful but very disappointing!!! Let me know your thoughts!
Is this true? :-? :-(

Bush Brat

Re: Advice for newbies?

Post by Bush Brat »

Hope not!

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Unfortunately it's true, the roads are stuffed 0:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I don’t fancy the Hluhluwe section and have only done it 3 times, although the section between Memorial gate and Hilltop camp does produce good sightings at times.

I generally stick to the dirt section west from Mpila camp and the small section of tar from Mpila camp down to the Black Imfolozi River. Basically point 6i through to point 27i. This section has been the most productive for me, but it’s rather small, so one can almost travel all the roads in 1 full day.

Mpafa hide has no water in front of it at the moment, but Bhejane hide has had its water pump fixed, so worth a visit.

I find that the general game is very thin if compared to the southern parts of Kruger. In fact it’s more difficult to find just about everything except for wild dogs as they are fairly concentrated in this section with sightings almost every day. (On the Sontuli loop this morning)

The ellies can be crazy, cheetah and lion often at 17i..etc

More here

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1840

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3778

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks BC! I've heard from others that Sontuli loop is a good spot. \O

Are the roads ok to drive without a 4x4? :shock:

I assume that as Mpila doesn't have fences, there is no gate as well...but are "gate" times enforced?

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Sontuli loop is good, but the visibility is limited. The last 5km of the loop are the best IMO (section closer to 17i)

2 roads require 4x4 (Okhukho loop definitely 4x4), the rest are ok, but worse than any KNP road

No gate and 6am-6pm all year round. I have never seen anyone enforcing times 0:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

How do you make coffee in the morning if there's no electricity? O-/ O-/ Can't do without my morning coffee!! =O: =O:

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

Bushcraft wrote:I don’t fancy the Hluhluwe section and have only done it 3 times, although the section between Memorial gate and Hilltop camp does produce good sightings at times.

I generally stick to the dirt section west from Mpila camp and the small section of tar from Mpila camp down to the Black Imfolozi River. Basically point 6i through to point 27i. This section has been the most productive for me, but it’s rather small, so one can almost travel all the roads in 1 full day.

Mpafa hide has no water in front of it at the moment, but Bhejane hide has had its water pump fixed, so worth a visit.

I find that the general game is very thin if compared to the southern parts of Kruger. In fact it’s more difficult to find just about everything except for wild dogs as they are fairly concentrated in this section with sightings almost every day. (On the Sontuli loop this morning)

The ellies can be crazy, cheetah and lion often at 17i..etc
As long as I see wild dogs I will be happy! And is Mpafa hide the hide where you saw the attempted Lion kill with the warthog?
And what about the leopards, where can we see them? ^0^

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Leopard O** I have never seen 1 in Imfolozi 0*\ The Nyalazi Gate area seems to be the most consistent with about 1 reported sighting a month O**

Bhejane hide is where the lion wartie action took place.

Gas stoves Flutts and a large old style kettle provided, so coffee isn't an issue \O Remember plenty of your own lighting as the paraffin lamps provided are useless and one can't drink the water, so take your own. (Although I just boil the dirty water =O: )

I'm not sure what you need to know, so just ask away \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Is there hot water to take a shower in the morning? :-?

Return to “Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”