Animals killed in Vehicle Collisions

Discussions on Vehicle Accidents in the Kruger National Park
Sprocky

7 Impala slaughtered by speeding contractor

Post by Sprocky »

Posted by Penny on Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 am

I am so upset at reading this and btw I cannot even find a listing for these plumbers - maybe the locals on this forum could tell us who owns Vusa Plumbers and if there are any connections to other Contractor's or anyone else? This has just been posted on the FB page of Kruger Park Best Place on Earth

Just saw how a contractors vehicle from VUSA Plummers CC overtook me at high speed, only to drive over twelve impala at the junction of Paul Kruger Gate road and the staff village. This white piece of trash then just wanted to drive off until I removed the keys out of his ignition. Unfortunetly 4 dead impalas and another eight that need to be put down as there backs are broken. I ask with tears in my eyes, what is going on in this place, as nobody can keep to the rules of the park...

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: 7 Impala slaughtered by speeding contractor

Post by Richprins »

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lowvelder Article:

Impala killer receives fine
The dead impala lie on the road, while SANParks staff check for dead animals next to the road. The vehicle responsible for the accident can be seen in the vicinity, facing Skukuza camp. Photo: supplied.

07 May 2012 | Nicolene Smalman

SKUKUZA - The driver who killed seven impala in the Kruger National Park (KNP) last week was fined R2 500.

Mr Ernest Hickman (51) of Shivers Contracting Company collided with the herd on the Kruger Gate - Skukuza Road on Wednesday.

The accident happened at about 17:30 when he was driving towards Skukuza. Eyewitnesses stated that he overtook their vehicles at high speed, only to slam over the poor impala at the junction of Paul Kruger and Skukuza Staff Village roads.
Hickman was in the park performing maintenance work at the abattoir.

"SANParks not only grieves for the loss of the impala but is also saddened that such an incident took place in a protected area, which is meant for safeguarding of these animals. We have decided to take action against the offending driver; who has been charged with failure to comply with the management rule, Nema: Protected Areas Act, 57/2003 as well as inconsiderate driving to other road users by driving fast on the road and getting involved in an accident, which led to killing our impala," Mr William Mabasa, head of public relations in the KNP said in a statement.

Impala, especially fighting rams tend to chase each other in the bush and over the roads, mostly when they are in their rutting season; either to gain dominance over each other or to round their female counterparts to join up their harems.

"We'd like to appeal to the public to always be on the look-out for all kinds of species while driving on the roads in the park as they are a general site; therefore please remember that these animals have a right of way," Mabasa continued.

He added that strict measures had to be taken against Hickman as they cannot afford to allow this sort of behaviour by anyone, including their business partners.

"We expect this move will act as a deterrent, while we also hope and pray that a similar incident will not repeat itself in future," concluded Mabasa.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Pic from Kruger2Canyon FB page

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

News24

It was an accident - driver who hit impala
2012-05-08 11:07

Polokwane - The driver of a delivery truck who was fined R2 500 after he hit and killed at least seven impala in the Kruger National Park says it was a freak accident and he's innocent.

Beeld reported that Earnest Hickman, 51, was apparently only driving at 52km/h but this was too fast, said a SANParks spokesperson.

According to SANParks, speeding was the cause of the incident.

Freak accident

Hickman said it was a freak accident, “I feel awful, but I’m innocent.”

He claimed he and seven colleagues in two vehicles had exceeded the 50km/h speed limit slightly in order to make the Skukuza gates, which closed at 18:00.

He said the impala had come “out of nowhere” and run across the road.

He tried to brake, but the trailer was heavily loaded and he couldn't stop in time.

"If I could have avoided the accident, I would have. I feel I am being unfairly crucified for something I could not control."

Beeld last week reported how American tourists had seen the accident and reported seeing impala fly through the air as well as lots of blood.

The Star reported that SANParks officials are now considering banning him from entering the park.

Shivers contractors is based in Polokwane.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lowvelder today:

Fine was the highest they could give

The Kruger National Park says that R2 500 was the maximum they could fine Mr Ernest Hickman with after he has killed seven impala last week

08 May 2012 | Nicolene Smalman

SKUKUZA - The Kruger National Park (KNP) says that R2 500 was the maximum fine they could issue Mr Ernest Hickman with for killing seven impala last week.

Looklocal and Lowvelder’s Facebook page has had unprecedented reaction since yesterday after publishing a follow-up on the killing of the animals on the Kruger Gate/Skukuza Road last Wednesday. The majority is saying that Hickman (51) should have received a much bigger fine and harsher punishment.

Ms Laura Mukhwevho, a spokesman for the KNP, upon enquiry said that R2 500 was the maximum they were allowed to issue by law. "However, the issue of taking further steps against Hickman is still under discussion by management at this stage. We are viewing this matter in a very serious light."

Hickman works for Shivers Contracting Company in Polokwane in Limpopo which does maintenance work at the parks’ abattoir. He was on his way to Skukuza when his vehicle, which was pulling a trailer at the time, hit and killed seven impala at about 17:30.

Ms Shirley Weir, owner of Shivers, this morning said that Hickman did not hit the Impala. "The animals actually ran into the bakkie and trailer. They panicked for some reason and came running out of the bush. The damage to the side of the vehicle testifies to this."

She said that Hickman wasn’t driving fast at all and added that the tracking device fitted in the vehicle indicated that he had travelled at a speed of only 52 km/h.
Weir undertook to supply Looklocal with a copy of the tracking report as well as photos which would indicate the damage to the vehicle’s side.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

SKUKUZA - The saga surrounding the incident in the KNP where seven impala were killed by a vehicle continues.

SANParks indicated on Tueaday afternoon that, following on the highly publicised impala accident of May 2, and the R2500 fine imposed on the responsible driver for the charge of reckless driving, KNP Management further considered the recommendations of a final report into the incident.

Based on this, a further penalty amounting to R21 000 was imposed on the main contractor, Kgokole Mmakole Trading & Projects CC (whose sub-contractor is Shivers Contractors), for failure to comply with the Code of Conduct in respect of the death of seven (7) impala.

In addition, a ban of five years was imposed on the driver of the vehicle involved, prohibiting him from entering the Park for whatever reason.

The Managing Executive of the KNP, Mr Abe Sibiya said "I am completely saddened by this incident and would like to warn all contractors, suppliers, staff members and guests to strictly adhere to the rules and regulations of the Park. Otherwise, severe action shall be taken against any perpetrator without exception. People cannot be allowed to continue to disobey the rules and go unpunished."

"We will up our ante and there will be more arrests and harsher penalties for transgressions in the Park", Sibiya concluded.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ms Shirley Weir, owner of Shivers, this morning said that Hickman did not hit the Impala. "The animals actually ran into the bakkie and trailer. They panicked for some reason and came running out of the bush. The damage to the side of the vehicle testifies to this."

She said that Hickman wasn’t driving fast at all and added that the tracking device fitted in the vehicle indicated that he had travelled at a speed of only 52 km/h.
Weir undertook to supply Looklocal with a copy of the tracking report as well as photos which would indicate the damage to the vehicle’s side.

No such evidence has been provided to the Lowvelder! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Flutterby wrote:Image
Pic from Kruger2Canyon FB page
Just noticed something, look how long the skid mark is, -O- -O- 52 km/h Ei

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I don't know how long after the incident this photo was taken, but the cops are already there. Now take a look at the Impala on the left, half off the road, lying down with it's head up. This animal must be suffering, could someone not have done anything to help it? Either take it to a vet or put it out of it's misery. O/

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.

Return to “Vehicle Accidents in Kruger”