Addo - Main Rest Camp (Rondavel HL2)

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Addo - Main Rest Camp (Rondavel HL2)

Post by Mel »

The main camp offers a variety of accommodation for all kind of budgets.
But consequently, it has become a big and rather lively camp. At least throughout the day.

You'll find an Interpretative (spelling? ) Centre where the famous Hapoor is displayed.

Further there is a well-stocked shop (including curious) and a pretty good restaurant.
There is also a petrol station, which only opens at 7.30 am in the morning and ends business for the day before gate closing time
(Sorry, can't remember the exact hour anymore.)

Also, you can wander off to the look-out point which overlooks the waterholes or watch birdies at the hide.

The underground hide towards the waterhole is a joke!
All you see is the dam in front of the waterhole, making you see nothing, zero, nada of the waterhole itself.

We stayed in one of the rondavels which offer the best views on the waterhole.
The units are laid out for 2 people and have obviously undergone renovation since our first visit in 2007.
The walls had new paint and the old plastic chairs on the verandah were replaced by comfortable wooden chairs as you can see in one of the pics below.

BUT the units are quite small. They contain a double bed which can be made into singles.
There is one stool for putting a suitcase on and a build-in wardrobe. Furniture wise that's it!
You also get your sink in the bedroom and a very small shower / WC. In fact it is so small
that if you take your bath towl with you to dry off after the shower, it is halfway soaked from the moist.

The rondavel:

I kinda forgot to take pics from the inside, but I remembered to take photos from several units to the waterhole.

View from no. 2:

View from no. 3:
I was able to walk onto the verandah there as the new guests hadn't moved in yet,
when we got back from one of our morning drives.

View from between no. 3 and 4:
Sorry, couldn't walk up to no. 4 as it was occupied all the time.
But as you may be able to make out in this shot, the verandah lies lower than where
I was standing to take the picture. And you can see how much of the waterhole I saw from there...

The view from no. 1 is obstructed by fynbos on the right.

The views from no. 5 and 6 (seemed to be new additions) are not worth paying the money.
Unfortunately, I couldn't walk there to take a photo as the way they are located would have made for trespassing...

You'll have to take my word for it - if you are going to Addo and book one of the rondavels,
ask to be allocated to no. 2 or 3. They have the best views on the waterhole, with no.3 having
the further advantage of being the closest unit to the communal kitchen.

Talking about kitchen: Each rondavel has a seperate locked cupboard. Therefore you have
the utensils, pans and crockery at your sole disposal.

Poplap

Re: Addo - Main Rest Camp

Post by Poplap »

Thanks, Mel! \O \O \O

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
nan

Post by nan »

\O I will be there soon... I don't know wich one... no matter... it's to be there O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Poplap

Post by Poplap »

nan wrote:\O I will be there soon... I don't know wich one... no matter... it's to be there O/\

O/\ O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ O/\ O/\

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Mel \O \O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

I am looking to going to Addo in April next year.

Does the hut overlooking the waterhole have kitchen utensils, fridge etc etc..?

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Toko

Post by Toko »

Thr rondavels have only communal kitchen, you can book a chalet next to the fence (no 36 or no 37 are best), very well equipped with large kitchen and everything. We had the ellies feeding directly in front of us O:V , you do see even the waterhole, but it's a bit far -O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks Toko. Will see what I can get.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Anyone have any info on Unit 15 - CH2?

Is it suitable for 2 old fogies? I see it is R300.00 per night cheaper than the normal CH2. -O-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'm sorry, I can't tell you anything what you probably already know from the reservation website. 0:
I've only stayed in the bungalows overlooking the waterhole so far.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”