AW Social media

All the information you need to enjoy this forum. (FAQ's & How To's)

Adding linking & sharing forum posts on a social media platform like Facebook / Twitter?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

I prefer that we dont link to any social platforms leave the forums separate from social media platforms .
19%
I think that this change should be made to the forums to allow sharing of posts on social media platforms.
44%
I dont have a clear opinion on either choice .
38%

Total votes: 16

PRWIN

Re: AW Social media

Post by PRWIN »

\O

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Tina, we have no intention to put up "like" buttons only the links on the top of the page \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Although, this is something that might be concerning:

From FB Terms of Use
Special Provisions Applicable to Social Plugins

If you include our Social Plugins, such as the Share or Like buttons on your website, the following additional terms apply to you:

We give you permission to use Facebook's Social Plugins so that users can post links or content from your website on Facebook.

You give us permission to use and allow others to use such links and content on Facebook.

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Lisbeth wrote:Tina, we have no intention to put up "like" buttons only the links on the top of the page \O
Hi Lisbeth ,the like buttons are part of the linking process of the modification .There would be a like and share option to link to the topic.
Last edited by RogerFraser on Thu May 21, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Flutterby wrote:Although, this is something that might be concerning:

From FB Terms of Use
Special Provisions Applicable to Social Plugins

If you include our Social Plugins, such as the Share or Like buttons on your website, the following additional terms apply to you:

We give you permission to use Facebook's Social Plugins so that users can post links or content from your website on Facebook.

You give us permission to use and allow others to use such links and content on Facebook.
Maybe I am reading it wrong its just saying that if you add the features (like & share) you will be sharing information onto FaceBook which can then be used .I feel that this is the expected behavior of this functionality . Its really nothing different from allowing the google bot to index the forums .Those links are shared with anyone who uses google to search for any topic header or keyword on the forum .

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Tina wrote:
RogerFraser wrote:I don't see any negatives personally but I guess am used to the formats of both technologies and think they can be used together to grow the forums reach .I think there may be some members who are not sure or exposed to the social media platforms that may fear change but in reality if you don't want to share anything you don't have to click on the share button on the forum you can still use the forum the same way as you do now .
Actually, I don’t think that this is correct.

SANPforum introduced the like button and as part of the discussion some legal implications came up which caused the withdrawal of it. Please, check this topic
Facebook like button
Hi Tina

I don't think it was the legal discussion causing SPF to remove it .It was removed as the members were against it being implemented without discussion :
Hi all,
Due to general discontent with regard to this new feature, we have decided to remove it indefinitely.
Thanks
There have been a number of detailed online discussions around the use of IP and copyright in social media especially facebook.I dont intend to go through them all .The basic end result of it is even if your image or other IP is posted onto a social media platform it in no way removes your copyright to that IP but the organisation may in some instances use that media for their own promotion .As I understand it it would not be facebook selling your IP they may have a top trending image or place it higher up in rankings to promote their platform .These organisations are after all for profit so they need to promote their platforms as much as possible too.

Some reading :

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2013/01/w ... dition025/
https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
http://digital.community-journalism.net ... story-with
http://gawker.com/5963225/that-facebook ... sharing-it

This functionality also does not change the fact that I can copy a forum post url and paste it into Facebook already and do the exact same as the button .The posts are public domain once posted so the link can be shared manually already the button just makes it simpler to do .

*----EDIT---*

Another interesting point of the SPF discussion the like and share options are only sharing links to the forum not the actual content .So to access the content a FB user has to come back to the forum to actually access the information .

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, Roger! I think the SPf facebook page has a whole different set of issues... :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I often paste links to the forum on the AW FB page, don't seem to have been any problems yet. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

So, we got 7 votes for sharing forum content on social media and 3 against it. :-?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Don't forget the 6 votes for "either way" -O-

Why are you :-? ?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Africa Wild Forum Information”