Into the Madding Crowds!

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Flutterby

Into the Madding Crowds!

Post by Flutterby »

As you all know,the Brat recently went on a school tour to Washington and New York City, and I decided to join him in New York at the end of his trip. This is probably as far removed from the bush that one can get - the crowds, the traffic and the noises were unbelievable :shock: - and their is precious little wildlife to be found but I thought some might enjoy seeing life on the other side of the ocean. \O

I'll start off with some pics from the Brat's trip and then move onto our "together" time. \O

There were 45 students ranging from Grade 9 to Matric and 6 teachers in the group. Here they all are feeling very excited before their 19 hour journey to Washington which included a 2 hour stop-over in Dakar. 0-

First sight of a typical yellow school bus.

The Washington Monument, built to honour America's first president, George Washington, is the world's tallest stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk.

According to the Brat, most of the buildings in Washington are built out of this light stone and in this same Greek-stlye architecture. He remarked on how clean Washington was, and that everyone is so patriotic, with US flags flying everywhere.

The Brat and a friend outside the White House. He was surprised at how small it actually was. Can you see the snipers on the roof, top right? ;-)

This is a 'protest' tent that was set up outside the White House in 1981 and has been there ever since. Apparently as long as there is someone living in that tent, the police cannot take it down! :shock:

You will find Cherry trees all over Washington (and New York), and we were lucky enough to be there when they were in full bloom. It is apparently illegal to pick the blossoms.

Their first museum was the Holocaust Museum which the Brat found obviously very sad but also very moving (I'm not going to show too many pics from here as they are very depressing. :-( )

Gates from one of the concentration camps.

The last room in the museum is lined with thousands of candles, and every day that the museum is open, from opening till closing, readers take turns to call out the names of all those that died in the Holocaust, making sure that the world never forgets.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Into the Madding Crowds!

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Excellent, Flutts!

Now AW will be closed down again because you revealed the snipers! =O:

Good info indeed! 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Interesting Flutt's. Nice photos too. \O

Lots of wildlife to see, especially in New York - Central Park excellent for Warbler migration this time of year & breeding Red-tailed Hawks & Peregrines on the buildings around the park. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

So very interesting Flutterby. Just love the school bus.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That's a great journey down the memory lane! Been there in 1998 and actually visited all the place you've shown so far as well.
And I so agree... The Holocaust Museum IS depressing. :-( But it's great to see that the tent is still up! O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

for me too, nice memories... ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
and like Dewi, I loved Central Park... and the seesaws O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Richprins wrote:^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Excellent, Flutts!

Now AW will be closed down again because you revealed the snipers! =O:

Good info indeed! 0()
The snipers are common knowledge RP, so I think we're safe for now. lol
Dewi wrote:Interesting Flutt's. Nice photos too. \O

Lots of wildlife to see, especially in New York - Central Park excellent for Warbler migration this time of year & breeding Red-tailed Hawks & Peregrines on the buildings around the park. \O
I obviously wasn't looking hard enough then, only saw a couple of birds in the park. -O-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

steamtrainfan wrote:So very interesting Flutterby. Just love the school bus.
Thanks stf. \O
Mel wrote:That's a great journey down the memory lane! Been there in 1998 and actually visited all the place you've shown so far as well.
And I so agree... The Holocaust Museum IS depressing. :-( But it's great to see that the tent is still up! O:V
As I wasn't with the Brat I've had to hear his version of things, but have heard the stories and seen the pics so often now that it feels like I was there. lol \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

nan wrote:for me too, nice memories... ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
and like Dewi, I loved Central Park... and the seesaws O/\
I have a couple of pics of Central Park later on. ;-) \O

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”