Walking with Lions (December 2015)

PJL

Re: Walking with Lions

Post by PJL »

We thoroughly enjoyed a bite to eat and a very welcome swim to escape the heat of the day. On a positive note, the pool was probably about the best condition I've ever seen it which is quite an achievement given the high use and how murky it had been for years ^Q^ ^Q^

Our afternoon drive was planned out based on being back at Aardlam, Mel & Gibson in good time to hopefully see them get up. We also had a booking at the restaurant which had been made for 6pm. Not exactly the best plan in my opinion as the gates closed at 6:30pm, but in order to keep family peace I kept quiet O/ O-/ --00--

As it was still pretty hot we opted for the guarantee of elephants down at Hapoor. Whilst watching the herds there was a jackal trundling around - presumably hoping some of the little hoglets would move away from their parents, but no such luck

Amongst all the activity, this mother brought her calf round the waterhole and close to our car O:V

I think someone must have had their trunk stepped on or something as suddenly there was a big commotion and the little one had the fright of its life and ran off

Round the back of the waterhole, Valli Moosa was chilling out. He seemed to give one of the youngsters a bit of a nudge as if to say 'you're too old to be drinking milk' lol

I was keen to get back to the lion to ensure we didn't miss any action like the day before. There wasn't much to see along the way until we got to the Woodlands dam. Some sharp eyes spotted another scrub hare in the shade, whilst a jackal came down to the water to drink ^Q^

Back near the lions there were a few cars around but not the pileup I had feared. After quizzing a few other drivers, no-one seemed to know where the lions actually were. We presumed the other side of the same bushes where we had seen them earlier. Sure enough at least one of the boys had a paw sticking out, but then suddenly Aardlam appeared from somewhere else entirely.

She took a stroll across a nice open area towards the boys

I was hoping she might get the boys to come round the other side of the bushes, but instead she kept moving and was heading towards Domkrag dam itself. This is one of those 'get out of your car at your own risk' lookout points and although there is fencing surrounding the parking area, it's basically so low that even a tortoise could hurdle it if required --00--

We swung the car up and hopped out in different directions. The main lookout area is down towards the water, but there's a section off to the side which is even more exposed that I ventured off to first and I'm glad I did because Gibson had got up and was meandering in my direction... this really was a lion on foot experience :shock: O/\

In hindsight it would have been best to watch him for longer, but I was convinced Aardlam would appear by the water at any moment so went over that side. Unfortunately she was playing games with the spectators and she somehow disappeared. -O-
It was probably less the spectators and more about the zebra herd which came down to drink - she must have been watching them quietly somewhere. The zebra seemed unaware of the lion due to the wind direction, so they were enjoying a good dust bath and evening drink.

The general consensus amongst the spectators was that we were about to see a chase and possibly a kill when some wingnut opened their car door, set the alarm off and scattered the zebra far enough away that the lions wouldn't stand a chance. I popped back to the 'exposed' viewing area but couldn't see any lion out that way and only found out later that Gibson was lying down the other side of a bush just 10m away from me :shock: :shock: O**

It was getting close to our 6pm cut-off so we decided to hop back into the car and see if we could figure out where the lions had moved to. This time Aardlam was visible again on the edge of the slope up to the viewing area

Again she got up and was walking in the direction of the dam, so we repeated the crazy car manoeuvring to get back to the viewing area. We could see her walking just below us through the bushes but just as she was about to come out into the open she had second thoughts and turned around 0= 0= 0*\
We had run out of time, but it was becoming a bit of a circus by this stage so I wasn't too sad to leave. Plus we had had some great sightings during the day already....

PJL

Post by PJL »

PRWIN wrote:looks like we could be coming that way Nov/Dec O\/ O\/ O\/ O\/No Kgalagadi and Etosha next year O\/ O\/ O\/ O\/
Exciting news \O \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great sighting of Aardlam and Gibson. \O

Love the ellie pics too. ;-)

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Oh, Mel&Gibson...I get it now! =O:

Waterhole kills at Addo...who would have thought it when we were kids, eh! :shock:

Bit of a thrill walking with lions! :yes:

Great pics again, PJL! X#X

And good grammer and speling! ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

You are a real risk seeker lol Not sure if I ever get out anywhere in that park in the future. O-/ (Just kidding!)

Lion festival day for sure. ^Q^

Hope your dinner was as nice as your sighting day! Can you still recommend going there? Reckon, we might be in for a treat this time for a change if the food is still well edible. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Richprins wrote: And good grammer and speling! ^Q^
0*\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lions again, PJL,

but that ellie calf stole my heart and Villa Moosa too X#X X#X X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I just adore the mini ellies O/\ O/\

When did Valli Moosa break a tusk? :-(

Aardlam is a grand lady ^Q^ ^Q^

A pity that the lion sightings at the end was a bit messed up. Did nobody try to kill the guy who made the alarm go off? :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote:Great sighting of Aardlam and Gibson. \O

Love the ellie pics too. ;-)
Thanks Flutts O0
It was great seeing so many ellies - unlike the rest of the country, most of the year has been quite wet here so we haven't had the big herds turning up for quite a while :-)
Richprins wrote:Oh, Mel&Gibson...I get it now! =O:

Waterhole kills at Addo...who would have thought it when we were kids, eh! :shock:

Bit of a thrill walking with lions! :yes:

Great pics again, PJL! X#X

And good grammer and speling! ^Q^
The penny finally drops O** O** =O:
Yip - big thrill. Even more when you find out later just how close you had accidentally been --00--
Mel wrote:You are a real risk seeker lol Not sure if I ever get out anywhere in that park in the future. O-/ (Just kidding!)

Lion festival day for sure. ^Q^

Hope your dinner was as nice as your sighting day! Can you still recommend going there? Reckon, we might be in for a treat this time for a change if the food is still well edible. O**
The restaurant is now a Cattle Baron - part of a chain. So the food seems to be fairly decent again, and the service seems to be ok. In my opinion it's a bit overpriced in comparison to some of the steak houses in PE, but then there isn't exactly an alternative at the camp so we were happy enough. \O
Lion festival continued... ;-)
Pumbaa wrote:Lions again, PJL,

but that ellie calf stole my heart and Villa Moosa too X#X X#X X#X
The little ellies really are fun to watch. Valli is a treat as well - he's such a gentle giant. A few of the ellies in the park (including Valli) apparently know some of the guides quite well - whenever they are seen up close, the guides will talk to them and the ellies remember them. A good friend of mine who guides in the park has a particular ellie which will purposely approach his car for a chat if he's around :shock: ^Q^ ^Q^
Lisbeth wrote:I just adore the mini ellies O/\ O/\

When did Valli Moosa break a tusk? :-(

Aardlam is a grand lady ^Q^ ^Q^

A pity that the lion sightings at the end was a bit messed up. Did nobody try to kill the guy who made the alarm go off? :evil:
Valli broke his tusk over a year ago now. It's a bit of a shame, but he's still very impressive!
It really was a shame about the car alarm... no-one seemed to be in fighting mood but there were a lot of comments made --00-- --00--

PJL

Post by PJL »

Our last day in the park started out quite overcast and misty. We were hoping that the lions would still be somewhere around Domkrag so we headed off in that direction. They had probably only walked about 2km from where they had been the night before and were lying quite close to the road but again looking very flat :O^

Melvin was closest and was showing off what lions do best - sleeping

We figured they would probably get up and move for shade if/when the sun came out, so went for a detour round to Gwarrie & Rooidam to see whether any hyena (D's favourite) were around but unfortunately it was all quiet except for a black shouldered kite.

The clouds were starting to break up in places so we ventured back to the lions and didn't have to wait too long before the sun had its desired effect :-0
With some big yawns and a bit of stretching, Melvin forced himself to wake up. O/\

The plants surrounding him are called tall white squill. They only pop up for a few months of the year, but there were loads in this particular area which made for some interesting focus issues but very scenic portraits of this handsome chap O\/ O\/

Gibson was also starting to wake up and went for a little wander

Meanwhile Mel was milking the photographic opportunity before deciding enough was enough and moved off behind a bush

Aardlam finally made an appearance and as Gibson approached her she showed quite a bow of submission 0: 0:

Then it was tails everywhere as they moved off to join Melvin.... we had timed it just right as they weren't seen again that day much to the frustration of the day visitors 0' --00--

It was time to go and pack up our tent but on the way back to camp we found a big tusker of a different kind, as well as a buffalo right next to the road O:V

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”