Mountain Zebra - Doornhoek Guesthouse

Information & Discussions on Mountain Zebra National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Mountain Zebra - Doornhoek Guesthouse

Post by Mel »

(View when going up on the Kranskoop Loop)

The Doornhoek Guesthouse is situated about 5 km south-west of the main camp. It's an unfenced accommodation overlooking a dam. If you've ever wondered what the second building is for (like I did before we stayed there in March): It is used as an emergency unit for guests and the attached barn serves as a storage facility. The emergency accommodation is exactly that... it's quite basic and rustic. lol But it does even have a braai!

Doornhoek Guesthouse was re-opened in October 2015 after restoration that became necessary when it burned down in September 2013. (A photo of the fire can be found in this news article) Fortunately enough, a lot of the old (antique) furniture could be rescued and put back in again after a successful restoration that paid close attention to the original details. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ For example the yellowwood ceilings and floors that used to be in there before the fire have now been built in again. Not sure how they managed to get hold of it as it is a protected tree, but maybe it has to do with the fact the Doornhoek Guesthouse falls under the national heritage?! The tiles have come all the way from Italy and resemble to the originals almost to the dot.

The building itself was built in 1836/1837/1838 (depending on your source) and used to be a farmstead.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Mountain Zebra - Doornhoek Guesthouse

Post by Mel »

Doornhoek Guesthouse

Overlooking the dam to your half left

Looking at Rondekop to your half right

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The living room

There's definitely no shortage of drinking glasses :shock:

The bedrooms no. two and three go off from the living room.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The kitchen

Well-equipped!

The Details

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bedroom with 2 single beds (off the kitchen)

Would have loved to nick that lol

One of the two doors at the back (the other is in the kitchen)

Antechamber of the ensuite bathroom

The only bathtub in the house

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bedroom no. two with a double bed

This one has got an ensuite bathroom too, but I didn't bother to take any photos because it looks just like the bathroom in bedroom no. three which is shown in the following post. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bedroom no. three, also with a double bed.

And the ensuite bathroom, which also got a kind of an antechamber.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bedroom no. three is the red circle on the left. Since it has a window door, it is the brightest of all bedrooms.
The ensuite bathroom reaches to the back, but the bathroom window is on the left side of the house.

The yellow circle is the spacious living room. Behind it is bedoom no. one and part of the kitchen.

Bedroom no. two is the green circle on the right and the bathroom is basically behind the bed you have seen
in the earlier post. Also the rest of the kitchen is situated behind those rooms.

The price for this accommodation currently is ZAR 2600.00 (ZAR 2800.00 in peak season).
But from November 2016 the price will rise quite steeply: ZAR 3100.00 (ZAR 3300.00 in peak season)

Not really reasonable to book it just for the two of you, but quite fun and therefore definitely worth it. lol
At least when you aren't as unlucky as we were. O**

Puff Addy

Post by Puff Addy »

The normal MZNP lodgings are good value, one of the best values in all of SANParks, but at 3100 per night as of this coming November, Doornhoek is, as they say in German, ein Beschiss! A rip-off!

Toko

Post by Toko »

Nice view, but the inside styling is not my cup of tea lol

Return to “Mountain Zebra National Park”