SANParks' commercialization strategy: new tourism projects

Information and Discussion on Development Plans in National Parks
Toko

SANParks' commercialization strategy: new tourism projects

Post by Toko »

Next SANParks’ eco-tourism projects to provide self-generated revenues from commercial operations:

(1) In line with the Strategic Plan for Commercialization, SANParks plans a Public Private Partnership (PPP) for a Paragliding Tourism Opportunity in the Swartvlei River in the Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park for commercial purposes.
Link

(2) Another PPP is for an annual 5-day multi-stage mountain bike event in |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park with canoeing on the Orange River. The event will utilise existing tourism facilities at |Ai-|Ais Resort, De Hoop and Sendelingsdrift with a mobile camps at Gamkab valley. The concession can as well organize MTB tours for groups throughout the year.
Link

iNdlovu

Re: SANParks' commercialization strategy: new tourism projec

Post by iNdlovu »

O-/ O-/ Maybe that's why they are logging all the tall yellow woods, so that the hang gliders don't get hooked up in the trees. ;-)

Strangely enough I applaud them on these two initiatives, the garden route NP is very much a sight seeing park with a bit less of an emphasis on wild animals and the Richtersveld park can only benefit from more tourists (Mountain Bike riders). It is about rugged scenery which will not be effected very much, and of course the Orange river, is all about guided canoe trips. Some parks will lend themselves to this kind of commercialization, but parks like Kruger & KTP are all about the wildlife, so leave them as is.

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Toko

Post by Toko »

iNdlovu wrote: O-/ O-/ Maybe that's why they are logging all the tall yellow woods, so that the hang gliders don't get hooked up in the trees. ;-)
No, in the designated area on the Swartvlei River are no tall trees. \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Not knowing either area too well, I was going to ask how these initiatives would impact on the surrounds, but you have answered my question iNdy! \O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Mountain biking and canoeing is allowed in the Richtersveld NP, that's ok, I only don't like the idea of events in any of the parks :-?

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Toko wrote:Mountain biking and canoeing is allowed in the Richtersveld NP, that's ok, I only don't like the idea of events in any of the parks :-?
Like 'Skukuza' cricket tournaments INSIDE Kalagadi Park...DISGRACE deluxe ...Those organisers have zero sense of place Ei Ei Ei Ei

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

We need to be a bit realistic here. The fact that SanParks needs big money to run our parks can not be questioned. The fact that the good old ANC government has priorities far removed from conservation cannot be denied. I cannot fault SanParks in making use of SOME parks to help in raising funds instead of flogging Kruger & KTP to death.
All I'm saying is that Richtersveld is predominantly used by 4X4 drivers to challenge the difficult trails in the park, so why not include mountain biking & canoeing, it isn't going to change the face of the park.
As long as the paragliding enthusiasts aren't expecting fancy accommodation etc which would ruin the pristine nature of the Garden Route NP, no harm done and it may just generate some extra income for SanParks which they do need.
I see it as applicable commercialization in those two parks, unlike resort hotels in Kruger which will not generate any income anyway and flies in the face of the whole ambiance of Kruger & KTP which is about wilderness and not resort holidays.

The cricket, bicycle races, marathons in either Kruger or KTP are idiotic in my opinion but are not the brain children of SanParks, but rather the members of their forum, so I question their thinking, just sad that SanParks allows it to happen -O-

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Toko

Post by Toko »

I agree, MTB and some outdoor activities are not bad.

But what is the difference between cricket, bicycle races, marathons in either Kruger or KTP and MTB event in the Richtersveld -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I do not know Richtersveld at all :-? Is there any wildlife?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

The nature of the park Toko. The Richtersveld is about rugged scenery, very out of the way and very few visitors.It is a 4x4 playground and not much else. Completely non-commercial with only remote camping sites etc. In otherwords it lends itself to outdoor activity such as offroad (4X4) trails and MTP trails.Unlike Skuks which is like a small town in the over crowded south.

Lis other than dessert creatures like snake & lizzards there is little game.

Return to “Proposed Developments in National Parks”