"Commercial Tents at Pretoriuskop "

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: "Commercial Tents at Pretoriuskop "

Post by Richprins »

It is with the papers, Flutts, hence a sort of reply coming so far... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The private operators booking system is clouded in mystery and controversy for many years now, a long and exhaustive thread here: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=533

But it is reasonably clear that they have to register as operators, at a fee, and can make block bookings for existing accommodation, including campsites. But certainly not utilising those campsites indefinitely. They could, theoretically, book a string of campsites for a month or whatever, but the rules and logic suggests that they must forfeit accommodation (before final payment after deposit) at least a month before the date.

I suppose nothing prevents ANY individual from booking accommodation, paying in full, and if they don't pitch up, so be it, their money is forfeited.
(Maybe one could check on the prescribed limits regarding numbers and duration of bookings)

This is why accommodation appears suddenly a month before, even in peak season, or more months before, as smaller operators don't even pay the deposit. Many campsites fall under the same scenario, and operators sometimes barricade areas off early on the day of arrival in camps without marked and numbered campsites, although that is often also a bunfight, to make sure there is space for when a group of tents is pitched that afternoon. I don't have a massive problem with that, as the tents only appear later and obviously the group wants to be together.

Many campers get drunk and make noise...in my 30 years experience! lol

My problem, however, is that this operator is rather cynically paying for maybe 4 campsites per day, to be conservative, at base rate R300 per campsite of R1200 per day, which is nothing, and spoiling it for others. (I don't think PK has numbered campsites, and there is no real limit on how much space is allocated for a tent, so 4 can easily cover much of the fenceline)

There are also major question marks regarding the organisation of osv drives after hours. All operators obviously have their own vehicles, and have an extra half hour outside gate times for day trips only, which means that overnighters' drives can only be conducted in SP vehicles. OSV operators do outsource their vehicles and drivers to Kruger in peak periods, but only for excess normal tourist demand.

As said above by others, this is a new sour loophole, for money. (Actually been going there for maybe a year or more now, but on small scale)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Disgracefull...Silence from Sanparks is deafening...

somabhula

SEMI permanent Tents Pretoriuskop

Post by somabhula »

It would appear that the semi permanent safari tents now along the perimeter fence (upper and lower) camping area at Pretoriuskop were erected and are for hire through
a private operator not Sanparks?????

Corruption, backhanders and collusion AGAIN???

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
somabhula

Post by somabhula »

So I can book a camp site for 11 months of the year, park the trailer and rent it out for Rx per day, and no one will say anything, and with the profits buy more and more trailers/caravans etc to continue doing the same????

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Just seen the prices posted on a link that they are reselling these sites for :shock: also note the date offered is beyond the 11 month booking window as pointed out on the other forum :-? O** O-/

https://www.nightsbridge.co.za/bridge/b ... 2018-03-13
screencapture-nightsbridge-co-za-bridge-book-1490727719706.png

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Completely crazy prices 0- 0- For a TENT 0*\

Adventurous? :-? there is a high metal safety net =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Still can't believe SANParks is allowing this!! 0*\ 0*\

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:On the Sanparks forum only RobertT and another two members have commented, very strange :-?
This is shocking in my book, hence I can only assume, if you aren't a cheerleader you aren't welcome :-? so the silence will slowly become deafening as Sanparks, at the moment, seem to be heading down the wrong road for the current client base.

An overpriced rip off to catch foreigners and there has to be more to this story and if not it's a scandal

Return to “Camps of Kruger”