Flutterby

Re: Overwhelmed with Kgalagadi

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks for reposting Pedro...I know it's a mission! :ty:

The meerkats sure give good entertainment value! =O: \O

pedro maia

Post by pedro maia »

Thank you all for the comments, and ot wasn´t that hard to repost, it was only one "episode".

pedro maia

Post by pedro maia »

After the wonderful meerkat sightings there wasn´t much to be seen until Twee Rivieren, with the exception of these pale chanting goshawks.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Then we had a decision to make, we were quite tired but we arrived at TR before 17:00 and although next morning we would still make a (half) morning drive in the park chances are that we won´t return there any time soon so I thought it was worth it to drive a little bit in the Nossob road, so we had a snack and a beer at Twee Rivieren and went back to the road.

It was a good decision because not far from the gate there were some cars and that usually means cats, and it was the case, in the other bank there were three lions, one male, which seemed to be still young since his mane wasn´t fully developed, and two females, one of them with a collar, maybe they were the same three lions that broke inside the camp the other night but of course that may be just me speculating.

They weren´t as close as we would like but it was still a very nice sighting and with the binoculars we could see them pretty well.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
The male was clearly in the mood for love so he tried his chance with one of the ladies
6.jpg
But she wasn´t at the same mood
7.jpg
Cropped picture
8.jpg

pedro maia

Post by pedro maia »

And she didn´t let him do what he wanted to do
9.jpg
Another cropped picture
10.jpg
11.jpg
And she moved away
12.jpg
And there they were, the girls to one side and the boy to the other and we had to go away without knowing if there was another round as we couldn´t miss the gate closure.
13.jpg
That night it was braai night
14.jpg
With the lamb chops and the borewoers we bought at Sitzas and a nice syrah from the western cape
15.jpg
And before going to bed my daughter and I made some experiences taking pictures of the stars, these are the best we could do, we missed a good tripod, we forgot to change to the small lens which would be lighter and there´s much we need to learn as well.
16.jpg
17.jpg
Anyway I must say I never saw such an amazing sky, we were lucky to be in KTP during the new moon so there were only stars to be seen and it was just incredible, the milky way unbelievably lighted.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Nice that you saw lions \O

If I did not know it was stars I'd say Modern art ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The lion lady against the lion laddy lol lol lol

What unit did you stay in at Twee? Never saw a braai like that anywhere in the camps so far.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Pedro did not stay at TR, but outside the park.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Always nice to see lions. \O Good attempt at the stars...I tried once and it came out black! :O^ lol

pedro maia

Post by pedro maia »

Lisbeth wrote:Pedro did not stay at TR, but outside the park.
Indeed, at the Kgalagadi lodge, 5km from the gate.

pedro maia

Post by pedro maia »

Flutterby wrote:Always nice to see lions. \O Good attempt at the stars...I tried once and it came out black! :O^ lol
It´s not easy but the result could be worst, at least it looks like modern art, as Lisbeth said, although I´m not sure if that´s a good thing lol .

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”