Lisbeth wrote:
The kids loved watching them
Only the kids? O**

Lovely pics of jackal and zebra ^Q^ ^Q^

The black wildebeests are very particular \O
Maybe not just the kids 0' =O: \O
Richprins wrote:What crisp pics, PZL! X#X

And a nice set of wheels there! :-0

Just when one thought those wildebeest couldn't get any uglier...bloodshot eyes! =O:
Thanks RP \O
Those wildebeest are funny creatures. Chasing themselves around in circles at times lol
nan wrote:Those Antelopes are much more hairs than in the Kgalagadi, especially Kudu, Springbok and Oryx :yes:

still have to see these Black Wildebeests O/\

^Q^
Interesting nan. I wonder how much of a temperature difference there is between the 2 places.... gets pretty hot in MZNP in summer as well -O-
Mel wrote:Awww... those squirrels ARE cute :-0

We didn't do Umngeni in April; still too traumatized from last year lol Although I will have to agree on the fantastic scenery.
Loved that part of the journey a lot. Not as many animals though as you saw.

But we did Juriesdam Loop for the first time. With great success... got my first black rhino EVER and it was a pretty good
sighting too O\/
I must admit Umngeni gets the adrenaline pumping in a few spots. There's always a slight concern on the higher sections that the car might end up grounded on some of the big boulders 0:
Nice that you got great sightings on Juriesdam... I've often found it quite empty but there's always the chance of seeing cheetah right at the end of the loop :yes:
Flutterby wrote:Some really lovely pics..as usual! \O
:ty: Flutts
Pumbaa wrote:What a great variety of bokkies you saw, PJL,

awesome shots plus cute squirrels and wonderful raptors X#X :ty:
Thanks Pumbaa. We saw many more raptors this time around than any of our previous trips... there are a few interesting ones coming up \O

PJL

Re: We Won An MZNP Game Drive

Post by PJL »

Back at camp we had a tasty braai for lunch and then decided to stretch our legs on the camp hike. Not the full loop this time, but just up to the top sections which have such stunning views ^Q^ ^Q^

The essential family selfie... our kids have definitely lost a few more teeth and grown taller since the last similar pic lol

The kids somehow snuck a swim in whilst I swapped our newly repaired tyre with the spare back at the chalet. We decided there was time before our night drive to do an afternoon trip around Kranskop loop which takes you right up into the mountains. The density of game drops somewhat, but the scenery is spectacular. On the first upper sections we saw zebra and a very proud-looking jackal buzzard. Anyone know why they're called 'jackal' buzzards?

Right up in the mountains we were lucky to spot some grey rhebok in a couple of places O/\ O/\

Towards the end of the loop we pulled in at Doornhoek dam which was a very peaceful scene O:V

On our side of the dam was a young reed cormorant and some shelduck ducklings O\/ O\/

On the far side was the resident fish eagle, and whilst we were enjoying the view a couple of raptors came cruising overhead - booted eagles in their pale morph I believe O/\ O/\

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Its name refers to the jackal because its call is similar to that of the black-backed jackal, which is a common resident in the South African countryside.
;-)

Have you ever seen the park in summer? Some more green would not hurt O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:
Its name refers to the jackal because its call is similar to that of the black-backed jackal, which is a common resident in the South African countryside.
;-)

Have you ever seen the park in summer? Some more green would not hurt O**
Well done Lis... I was hoping the question might be trickier for some O** O** =O: =O:
I haven't ever seen the park looking green. But it must happen for a few weeks of the year -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

At what level is it? (from sea level)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:At what level is it? (from sea level)
It's about 1000m above sea level at the lowest point... going up to almost 2000m at the back of the park in the mountainous sections.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:ty:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What brilliant pics again, PZL...each one a keeper! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey, not many forumites have man-childs, so well done! :-0

Personally I think the Jackal part comes from Jakkalsvoêl, the generic Afrikaans for buzzards, and the English just got lazy, as this one is endemic! lol

(Afrikaners were stoically unimaginative regarding naming animals, apart from a few strokes of brilliance! =O: )

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

And why is it called Jakkalsvoêl? O**

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Amazing shots from the jackal buzzard, PJL,

plus grey rhebok - You had incredible luck with your sightings \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”