New Territory

PJL

New Territory

Post by PJL »

Last week we spent a couple of nights in Addo with my parents who are over for a visit. We decided to upgrade a bit and treat ourselves to a stay at Nyathi camp - new territory for us :-0

Nyathi is outside the main game area to the north - in the same concession area as Riverbend Lodge.

It has its own private dirt road and gates into the main game area for easy access, rather than needing to travel round to the main camp to enter the main section of the park. \O

We entered the park via the south gate and not surprisingly our first sightings were warthog lol
There are plenty of baby piggies in the park at the moment as well :yes:

Vukani and Ngulube loops were both relatively quiet, but Lismore waterhole had a couple of elephant drinking O:V

There was no particular rush to get to the main camp for check in, so I decided we should explore the access road through the park in search of lions. We had been on a slightly dry run of luck when it comes to cats, so I was keen to see if we could track down Josie and her clan somewhere. The fire base side was quiet, but there was plenty of game down near Arizona. As we arrived there was a big herd of buffalo crossing the road and a big eland bull trundled off a short distance before glancing back at us

The eland must have got a bit mixed up because its herd was on the other side of the road so he quickly trotted back to join them whilst the buffalo looked on slightly confused lol

In the dip of Arizona dam itself we were thrilled to find a number of very little eland with their herd O/\ O\/ O/\ O\/
I don't know how they do it, but normally the eland seem to hide their little ones until they are almost fully grown :-?

TBC

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: New Territory

Post by Mel »

I don't think, I've ever seen eland calves as young as these! Wonderful :-0

So, you visited Addo over the crazy season lol Well, at least at night everybody was out of your way.
Would you have some photos of the accomm as well? Might be a nice change for a future trip :-0
(Depending on how steep the price really is...)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well done, Peej! \O

Buffalo are permanently confused... lol

So lovely that Addo continues to expand! O/\

Just remind us, does one ever see leopard there? --00--

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

nice to visite the other part of Addo NP O/\

with so interesting sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Nice sightings to start! \O I don't think I've ever seen an eland calf! :-? ^Q^

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Fantastic ellie and buffalo shots, PJL \O

plus warthogs but my favourites are the incredible close ups from the elands and even with calves X#X :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The eland bull looks enormous :shock: And it is nice to see calves too ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
okie

Post by okie »

Wow , that is one big eland ^Q^ ^Q^

Enough is enough
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm I don't think, I've ever seen eland calves as young as these! Wonderful :-0

So, you visited Addo over the crazy season lol Well, at least at night everybody was out of your way.
Would you have some photos of the accomm as well? Might be a nice change for a future trip :-0
(Depending on how steep the price really is...)
Yep we visited in crazy season, but it worked out quite well in the end. Somehow it never felt too busy - some dodgy weather probably helped us with that ;-)
And yes I'll certainly be sharing some accommodation pics. Nyathi is a well kept secret in that it's not really that much more expensive than cottages at the main camp. Currently about R300 per night difference if it's for 2 people \O
Richprins wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 pm Well done, Peej! \O

Buffalo are permanently confused... lol

So lovely that Addo continues to expand! O/\

Just remind us, does one ever see leopard there? --00--
This area of Addo has been part of the 'greater addo' park for many many years, but we've only had SP accommodation available for the past couple of years :yes:
Hmmm.... leopard. Well there seems to be some suggestion of a few individuals in the main game area although none have been seen to my knowledge for about 5 years or more. One was seen on the Nyathi side relatively recently by someone travelling outside the park ironically. It was relaxing in a dry riverbed not far from Riverbend Lodge.
nan wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 pm nice to visite the other part of Addo NP O/\

with so interesting sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks nan! Definitely nice to explore some other sections \O
Flutterby wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:11 am Nice sightings to start! \O I don't think I've ever seen an eland calf! :-? ^Q^
They do seem to keep their little ones very well hidden. I've only ever seen calves once before O:V
Pumbaa wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 pm Fantastic ellie and buffalo shots, PJL \O

plus warthogs but my favourites are the incredible close ups from the elands and even with calves X#X :ty:
Thank you Pumbaa. Great to see such a mass of eland around. They seem to be doing very well in Addo overall \O
Lisbeth wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 am The eland bull looks enormous :shock: And it is nice to see calves too ^Q^ ^Q^
He was a very big chap Lis :yes:
I wonder how much he weighs :-?
okie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:17 pm Wow , that is one big eland ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks okie... nice to have you tagging along \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Our plan was to grab a bite of lunch at the main camp restaurant so we started heading into the north of the park. S did very well to spot a well-hidden scrub hare which then took off at lightening speed once it realised its cover was blown

Wayne's Valley had a lone elephant bull wandering along next to the road, as well as a secretary bird on the hunt O:V

There wasn't too much else happening until we reached Gwarrie pan where there were many elephants hanging out. This chap had his war paint on and did his best to look menacing whilst walking towards us ^Q^ ^Q^

Near the Woodlands dam there was an elephant carcass. We had heard that it had been involved in a fight a few days earlier and broken its leg so had to be put out of its misery :-(
It didn't look like too much predation had been taking place so we figured we would check it out over the next couple of days to see if anything turned up.

Lunch at the restaurant was very enjoyable and we were then able to check in to the Nyathi accommodation at the main camp reception. I think we somehow got a new person on the desk as it seemed to take forever to get it all sorted but eventually we came out with info about how to get there as well as a gate remote for the camp. Something I hadn't realised is that the gates between Nyathi and the main game area only operated between 6am and 6pm, whilst people staying at the main camp had access to the park from 5:30am to 6:30pm. Thankfully at this time of year it doesn't get light until after 6am so it wasn't too much of an issue for us, but something visitors should be made more aware of perhaps.

There are 'residents only' gates from the main camp to Nyathi via an access road just past Domkrag dam. As we made our way round that direction this leopard tortoise crossed the road with a fair bit of lunch still attached to him lol

After a short drive down the access road beyond Domkrag we were at the gates where a chap opens/closes them for you as you make your way across the railway line & main road which separate the 2 sections of Addo. These chaps were monkeying around on the railway line, but they were apparently on the right track ^0^

After that it was time to see what the Nyathi section has to offer....

TBC

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”