To camp or not to camp

Information & Discussions on Camping
okie

To camp or not to camp

Post by okie »

Hmmmm...... Hah ! IMHO , camping sucks :O^
I really do not know what all the hoo-hah is about camping 0*\
It seems to be all about suffering discomfort , even after having brought the whole caboodle with you from home , including the latest high-tech kitchen sink :shock:
Firstly , it takes up oodles of time setting up camp , erecting tents , and deploying equipment all around the in order to make things " liveable" and life more " comfortable" during your stay .
Man , the stuff you see in these setups are amazing to behold 0*\
You see small families , digging themselves in next to the fence ( what for , only they know -O- ) , erecting a site that eventually looks like a whole neighbourhood , including its own in-house TV room , surrounding area lit up like a christmas tree .

I just cannot for the life of me understand why people bring the city to bush -O-

For me , I enjoy the comfort of a bungalow .
I do bring along a couple of paraffin lanterns , which I hang up outside while making/preparing/braaing food outside . Of course , the bungalow lights are switched off while we are busy outside .
And for mozzies ? On the farm I extract essential oils like Khaki-bush and Lavender , which I then blend with the paraffin for the lamps .
It smells good and works much much better than the so-called " Citronella oil " which you buy in stores . That stuff is about 99 % paraffin and 1 % citronella , and hellishly expensive 0*\

I do have a duel battery system in the Landy to keep my freezer going , and to keep the beer cold .
Therefore , power outages do not bother us at all . If necessary ( and only if necessary ) I can also plug in a string of LED lights into the duel-battery socket and also light up the neighbourhood -- but why bother :shock:
And , at bed-time , we can sleep easy on comfortable and soft(..ish..) beds , which is much much more kind to these old bones :O^
Oh , and we have an inbuilt shower , plus toilet lol , so , no need to use a potty =O: =O: =O:

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Re: Load shedding in Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

I agree with you okie! :yes: \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

100% agreed okie! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
harrys

Post by harrys »

:O^ :O^ 100% disagree camping is awesome if you know what you do, you don't need all the fancy stuff I camp to get away from all the technology and It takes 20 min to set up camp with a caravan and about 45 min with the tents. When you camp you don't have to carry your stuff into the accommodation everything is where you want it and within 30 min you can relax with a beer, wisky or wine no hassle ^0^

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

If it takes 45 minutes how can you drink after 30 minutes already? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

If you stay in a bungalow you can have a beer as soon as you arrive and unpack later! :twisted:

harrys

Post by harrys »

Richprins wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:31 am If it takes 45 minutes how can you drink after 30 minutes already? :-?
Use your imagination, that's when you use a caravan ^0^ and 55 mins with a tent.....OK ^0^

harrys

Post by harrys »

Flutterby wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am If you stay in a bungalow you can have a beer as soon as you arrive and unpack later! :twisted:
You still have to carry your stuff to the bungalow after the beer and then you won't be in the mood :twisted: O**

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Carrying stuff to the bungalow is a lot easier than setting up a whole camp! ^0^

okie

Post by okie »

Camping and caravanning is also extremely expensive and certainly not worth it .

To buy a caravan and tent etc etc costs a lot of money . Taking into account capital expense , plus finance cost/loss of interest on investment , as well as return on investment over time ( which is basically NIL ) , then the only people who get value out it , are those whose sell the equipment .
And that is not even taking into account the actual use of it , which is only a few time per year , and sometimes , if at all .

Business-wise , you do not set up a whole factory , paying thousands and thousands for it , and then only using it for less than 10 % of the time . That's the easiest way to go bankrupt 0*\

And renting them costs as , or even more than the costs of staying in comfortable accommodation .
PLUS , the extra cost of pulling the damn appendage behind you :O^

Enough is enough

Return to “Camping”