Night noise

Information & Discussion on Hluhluwe/Imfolozi
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Night noise

Post by Richprins »

Ratels!

I can only guess... 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

If it sounds like an Impala then its a leopard ...same sound ..or it could be an Impala ..Either one sounds the same ..sawing wood sound of the leopard and the rutting grate of an Impala ram ..Indistinguishable to the untrained ear

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Ratels make a mewing sound and normally they are silent but they are very noisy walkers thudding around at night

ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Peter Betts wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm If it sounds like an Impala then its a leopard ...same sound ..or it could be an Impala ..Either one sounds the same ..sawing wood sound of the leopard and the rutting grate of an Impala ram ..Indistinguishable to the untrained ear
Thanks Peter Betts. It wasn't a sawing wood sound. It sounded like a very short, sharp explosion of air. It could have been an impala warning I suppose but it didn't really sound like an impala. Short and very sharp.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

An Impala warning is similar to all other antelope warning snorts

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Possibly a Puff Adder.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

OK thanks Peter and Sprocky. I think the mystery may have been solved - an antelope (think a puff-adder is more of a hiss than this) - or may remain unsolved until I hear it again and can record it . . . .

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Definitely not a ratel O**

Possibly an impala or a nyala alarm call for a hyena as there's plenty of all 3 in camp :-?

There are many bushpig that cruise around camp at night but they have a "deep low growl" =O: as an alarm call.

It could be a zebra alarm call as they hang around in the tented section at night - google and see if it sounds the same X#X

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

\O \O

Return to “Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”