Elephant Relocations

Discussion on Elephant Management and poaching topics
Klipspringer

Re: Tembe Elephants moved into Addo

Post by Klipspringer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Funny SANParks post on FB
Hi. My name is Tembe. You may have seen a number of photo's of me in the last week. This is my video debut. Friends of Addo: I didn't see many vehicles or people where I came from, so I'm still very intrigued by them. Please keep a safe distance from me until I get more used to them.
and the videos shows how to keep a safe distance =O:

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Good example =O:
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Flutterby
Site Admin

Post by Flutterby » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:08 am

A change of underwear needed? O**

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:18 am

Not for me, I have tried to have elephants passing like that.....almost and there were even tinyphants ;-) In Addo it is possible \O
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 55 times
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Interesting them having a sprig of spekboom on the dashboard! :twisted:
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am

I don't remember any sprig of spegboom :-? You cannot even see the dashboard lol

Klipspringer

Post by Klipspringer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Vincent has broken his tusk 0*\

Photo by John Vosloo, FB Addo Elephant National Park - The Home of the "BIG 7"
Vincent 27 sept 2019.jpg

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 pm

:shock:

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Re: Elephant Relocations

Post by Lisbeth » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Eleven Blaauwbosch elephants relocated safely to new home

BY GUY ROGERS - 22 NOVEMBER 2019 - HERALD LIVE

Eleven elephants were successfully transferred from Blaauwbosch Private Game Reserve to their new home near Makhanda on Thursday.

After being darted and loaded at Blaauwbosch, situated at Kleinpoort between Uitenhage and Jansenville, the animals were trucked to Buffalo Kloof Game Reserve where they were released.

The Aspinall Foundation’s Dereck Milburn, who co-ordinated the operation, which was backed by the provincial environment department and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said the jumbos had weathered the journey well.

“They’re looking super chilled and are already feeding.”

The smoothness of the transfer followed on a day of high drama on Wednesday when Blaauwbosch’s owner, United Arab Emirates Sheikh Khalaf Ahmed Khalaf Al Otaiba, applied for an urgent interdict to halt the pending removal of his animals.

The matter went to the high court in Makhanda and an order was eventually handed down by judge Gerald Bloem on Wednesday evening, dismissing the application with costs, thereby allowing the removal to go ahead.

The operation, which was co-funded by the foundation with American Chris Holcroft’s Wild 911, followed repeated warnings from the authorities related to how Blaauwbosch was being managed.

In court on Wednesday, the sheikh’s counsel, advocate Lila Crouse, said the removal of the animals amounted to the forfeiture of valuable property without a forfeiture order.

She argued the animals were in no imminent danger from the drought because they were being fed lucerne and water was being provided.

But advocate Ivana Bands, for the SPCA, said renowned wildlife vet Dr William Fowlds had found that the removal of the animals was urgent due to the state of the reserve.

Concerns raised about insufficient water and forage, lack of maintenance on perimeter fences and not having the correct Protected and Threatened Species permits had also not been adequately addressed.

Buffaloes and a giraffe are also due to be transferred from Blaauwbosch to other reserves.

Return to “Elephant Management and Poaching”