Discuss the technical side of photography
ExFmem

Re: Macro Photography

Post by ExFmem »

:ty:

okie

Post by okie »

I also on occasion like to do Macro , but those animals in Kruger ( especially elephants ) just don't allow you to get close enough to them O**

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

okie wrote:I also on occasion like to do Macro , but those animals in Kruger ( especially elephants ) just don't allow you to get close enough to them O**
=O: =O: =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O:

Dindingwe

Post by Dindingwe »

Thanks to all, especially to Exfmem, for these good tips and advice on macrophotography. I am rather a beginner in macro and I don't have many oppotunities to practice : it is not recommended to get out of one's car in the Kruger to photograph a bug and even on foot in the camps, I take my tele-lens (which can make actually good close-up pictures) and not the macro-lens.

Here are some of my attempts :

Red-headed Fly (Bromophila caffra), at Shinqwedzi camp, with the Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, at f/2.8
IMG_5752.JPG
Yellow Semislug (Elisolimax flavescens) with Scale insects (Coccoidea sp.), in my backyard, with the same lens, at f/13
IMG_3992-1.jpg
Pearl Emperor (Charaxes varanes), at Skukuza camp, with the Canon 200-400mm f/4, at 300mm f/5.6
1O4A5215-2.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Was it deliberate to only focus the red head of the fly?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dindingwe

Post by Dindingwe »

Hmmm, I can't really say that. I did what I could without thinking to much. Afterwards, I told myself that I should have closed the aperture to have a greater depth of field. But given its position, at f/13 or even at f/18, the fly would never have been completely sharp. All in all, I am not unhappy with the result of the black body being blurred. The detail that I would improve is the "mouth" just beneath the head and the right eye of the fly that should be a bit clearer in my opinion.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Actually it is rather impressive :shock: lol I like the snail a lot \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ver naas, Dingwe! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Dindingwe wrote:Hmmm, I can't really say that. I did what I could without thinking to much. Afterwards, I told myself that I should have closed the aperture to have a greater depth of field. But given its position, at f/13 or even at f/18, the fly would never have been completely sharp. All in all, I am not unhappy with the result of the black body being blurred. The detail that I would improve is the "mouth" just beneath the head and the right eye of the fly that should be a bit clearer in my opinion.
Great start, but as you say you should have opened your F/stop for the first two, also have a look at focus stacking in macro, this will also help with giving a good depth of field \O

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”