Using Heavy Camera Equipment

Discuss the technical side of photography
Dzombo

Scenic Mt Zebra Park

Post by Dzombo »

Fantastic photo \O

What camera equipment are you using if I may ask??

Peter Betts

Re: Scenic Mt Zebra Park

Post by Peter Betts »

Dzombo wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am Fantastic photo \O

What camera equipment are you using if I may ask??
Dzombo this was with my ex camera and lens ie Nikon D500 (DX Crop) camera and Nikon 80-400 lens ..The Perfect late afternoon dappled by high wispy clouds light made it POP and could be replicated with any Consumer class camera and kit lens provided you have set the correct settings in Manual Mode. I now use a Nikon D850 (FX Full Frame) camera and 2 Wild life lenses replacing the old one ie now using a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens (gives me the same reach on the new D850 as the 80-400 did on the Crop D500)and a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2 lens \O The big secret is you must NOT let the camera take the photo in Auto (Program or Aperture priority or Shutter priority) ..Its a recipe for disaster with generally dark flat pics as the camera does its own thing ..Manual Mode has been my best friend for years now and I get to take the pic ..not the camera

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Peter,

Thanks for the info.

I have a Canon 650D and the main lens I use is my Sigma 50 - 500
Do you not find the Tamron 150 - 600 a bit heavy?
It's my main problem with the Sigma. Difficult not to get camera shake in low light (and arguably ideal) conditions.

My general camera knowledge isn't good, especially if I am under pressure to take a quick photo.
I understand what the basic elements (aperture, shutter speed etc) represent individually
But I often make a mess of getting the right combination if I put the camera on full manual mode
So I tend to leave the camera on full automatic mode instead.

okie

Post by okie »

Dz , I also have a Sigma 50 - 500 , and it is heavy , and certainly much more so than the Tamron 0*\
I also have the same problem as you with settings etc , maybe even worse , because normally do the driving ( and spotting ) , and when I see something that I wish to photograph , I need to stop the vehicle , switch off , then get my camera from the back-seat , position bean-bag over window-sill , place the camera on it , aim , and find it the object , check the settings , adjust the settings , etc .
Then I find the object has moved or left of flown away 0*\ ..... then I swear , f... , f... , f... , or something like that , put the camera and bean-bag away , start up the vehicle and move on , or reposition the vehicle before trying all over again .

I just l..o..v..e photographing wildlife :O^

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Okie,

That sounds 100% like me!
It is sooooo frustrating.
And there is nothing worse than taking a shot, which in your "minds eye" was an awesome photo, only to download it at home, and it is blurred with camera shake!

okie

Post by okie »

That's the reason why I switch off the vehicle . The lens does have anti-shake built in , but the engine vibration still affects the pics 0*\

Enough is enough
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Dzombo wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm Peter,

Thanks for the info.

I have a Canon 650D and the main lens I use is my Sigma 50 - 500
Do you not find the Tamron 150 - 600 a bit heavy?
It's my main problem with the Sigma. Difficult not to get camera shake in low light (and arguably ideal) conditions.

My general camera knowledge isn't good, especially if I am under pressure to take a quick photo.
I understand what the basic elements (aperture, shutter speed etc) represent individually
But I often make a mess of getting the right combination if I put the camera on full manual mode
So I tend to leave the camera on full automatic mode instead.
Okie the Tamron 150-600 G2 is 1 Kg lighter than the Sigma Sport 150 -600 ie its 2 kg ...probably lighter than the 50-500 you have and the G2 Tamron is half the weight of my old 500mm f4 ..it weighs in at just a slight tad more than a typical 70-200 f2.8 ..Basically its a light lens and I got it for its superior optics compared to the likes of the Nikon 200-500 and the rest . I get to the gate 20 mins before opening and spend that time setting the camera ..and make a concious effort to stop every 10 minutes as the day lightens to increase the shutter speed and as a result NEVER have a panic situation as a good sighting arises...pic of the light /compact and stunningly sharp and accurate Tamron G2 150-600
Tamron-SP-150-600mm-G2-Side-Switches.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

okie wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 pm Dz , I also have a Sigma 50 - 500 , and it is heavy , and certainly much more so than the Tamron 0*\
I also have the same problem as you with settings etc , maybe even worse , because normally do the driving ( and spotting ) , and when I see something that I wish to photograph , I need to stop the vehicle , switch off , then get my camera from the back-seat , position bean-bag over window-sill , place the camera on it , aim , and find it the object , check the settings , adjust the settings , etc .
Then I find the object has moved or left of flown away 0*\ ..... then I swear , f... , f... , f... , or something like that , put the camera and bean-bag away , start up the vehicle and move on , or reposition the vehicle before trying all over again .

...I also do all the driving and photographing ..My camera and 2 lenses are placed ready on the passenger seat next to me and my wife prefers the back seat so she can get to both sides at a sighting ..Try that it speeds up the work flow at a sighting..Bean bag is always on the window sill in a drive ..ready for action
Last edited by Peter Betts on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

okie wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm That's the reason why I switch off the vehicle . The lens does have anti-shake built in , but the engine vibration still affects the pics 0*\
Yip you never take a pic with the engine running ..In fact all vehicles must have engines off at a sighting so as not to spoil it for others and avoid pumping carbon monoxide all over the wildlife

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Peter Betts wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm
okie wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 pm Dz , I also have a Sigma 50 - 500 , and it is heavy , and certainly much more so than the Tamron 0*\

..I also do the driving and photographing ..My camera and 2 lenses are placed ready on the passenger seat next to me and my wife prefers the back seat so she can get to both sides at a sighting ..Try that it speeds up the work flow at a sighting..Bean bag is always on the window sill in a drive ..ready for action..its a big 10 kg job so its a bit of a mission to remove it all the time
Badger Bag.jpg

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”