Using Heavy Camera Equipment

Discuss the technical side of photography
Peter Betts

Re: Scenic Mt Zebra Park

Post by Peter Betts »

Yes I have often used a Jacket ..We also had a Landy Defender 110 SW for 12 years and I padded up the console in between the 2 front seats and with Pillows on the back seat so I had a firm 'bed' for the camera and 200-400 lens (Big in Size) ..I admit that the back seat is very uncomfortable in a defender and an adult looks through the roof window ...But luckily my wife is my main source of finding stuff thats why I miss having her for my 2 hr early morning 'catch the light ' daily drives on my own at gate opening ..I then fetch her and she is by then up and about , Had her coffee , tidied the beds and packed the picnic basket which in the Defender and my current Hilux goes in the very back behind all seats ..Jane is more awake than me on our drives :-0 ..Shooting through the passenger window I cant use a Bean bag but my current lenses are light enough for me to bury my left elbow into the top right hand side of the passenger seat and my manually set high enough to prevent blur shutter speed combined with the Optical stabilisation of 3 plus stops ensure I am rock steady to get a pic like the leopard below shot through the passenger window on the left of the gate into Tamboti camp as we returned to camp ..Thats the trouble with program /auto modes ..The camera decides and couldnt care less that the sighting is on the wrong side and you are handholding and shoots at a slow shutter speed in most cases...Manual mode on the other hand ..you tell the camera to shoot at 1/1000 Sec
Dappled Light Leopard.jpg
..thats my experience anyway

Dzombo

Using Heavy Camera Equipment

Post by Dzombo »

@Peter Betts
@Okie

So thought I may as well start a thread here.
Peter, unfortunately your Mountain Zebra thread got derailed a bit - apologies 0:

As we were saying.
Getting sharp images using a big (heavy) lens can be very tricky.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Peter - seems I have derailed your thread a bit - apologies 0:

I have started a new one here:
viewtopic.php?f=105&p=420021#p420021
Perhaps one of the Mods could move the relevant bits of this thread over to the new one? -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Using Heavy Camera Equipment

Post by Richprins »

Tell the women to move that discussion here! ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That leopard is from MZNP? :shock:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Dzombo wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 pm Peter - seems I have derailed your thread a bit - apologies 0:

I have started a new one here:
viewtopic.php?f=105&p=420021#p420021
Perhaps one of the Mods could move the relevant bits of this thread over to the new one? -O-
No Probs from my side and I am looking forward to today guiding 2 x Americans in Addo

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Mel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 pm That leopard is from MZNP? :shock:
It is from Tamboti, Mello! Part of camera discussion! ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm Tell the women to move that discussion here! ..0..
Mind your language 0'

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Peter,

How many bodies do you use?
What lens for close up?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Sounds like an adult movie setup now, Dzombs... =O:

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”