Crime on Table Mountain

Information & Discussions on Table Mountain National Park
PRWIN

Re: Crime on Table Mountain

Post by PRWIN »

https://www.facebook.com/notes/cyndie-m ... 6236426591

BEWARE...Tokai Forest Parking

Cyndie Montgomery Elliott·Monday, March 14, 2016

People, please still be very wary of Tokai Forest. Even though it's busy, the rubbishes are still up to no good. I parked there around 1pm yesterday to take a dog for a walk. It was busy and I thought it would be safe.
Well...... upon my return to my car approximately 15 minutes later, I find a man sitting waiting in the backseat of my car. His friend was parked next to my car with his engine idling. I have no idea how they managed to disarm my alarm, but they totally messed up my lock.
I'm still in shock and I'm grateful that I had a very brave German shepherd with me who will remain my hero..... One would think that there would be more security allocated to this area, especially after the tragic incident earlier that week.
I am absolutely impressed with the fantastic service and friendliness at Kirstenhof Police Station. I managed to give a full description for the registration, make, model, colour, etc. of the car, as well as a description of the suspect seated in my car. I am unable to pass the information as this is a case that is pending.
This is just a warning to everyone to please be very careful. I don’t even want to think or imagine what could have happened to me had I not had my very brave canine by my side.

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

:shock:

Would have been interesting to know how he got the guy out of his car (if at all...)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

SP are eventually going to lose tourist dollars very fast....

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

9 Stabbed

Safety measures to be discussed after hiker stabbings - TMNP

2018-01-14 22:24

Jenni Evans

Cape Town - Table Mountain National Park officials will meet on Monday to discuss further safety measures after nine hikers were stabbed during a brutal robbery this weekend, TMNP spokesperson Merle Collins said on Sunday.

"We are very appalled by the incidents," said Collins.
"Obviously we are working very closely with [the police]."

According to police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana, the nine hikers were robbed and stabbed in the St James Peak area, near Kalk Bay, on Saturday by two men who appeared to be hikers.

"All the victims sustained stab wounds and were taken to medical facilities for treatment," she said.
"A case of robbery with a weapon other than a firearm has been opened for investigation."

The alarm was raised at about 9:20 on Saturday when four people called for help after they had been assaulted and stabbed, said Johann Marais, spokesperson for Wilderness Safety and Rescue.

First indications were that there were serious injuries with a medical doctor, who also hiked in the area, assisting.

WSAR said the attackers had initially looked like hikers when the party encountered them.

"They joined the group and having walked with them for about thirty minutes the two males suddenly attacked the original group participants and stabbed or injured at least five persons which the Skymed helicopter hoisted or flew out," he said.

Later reports were received of elderly stabbed victims in the vicinity of the amphitheatre too, indicating that the hikers may have split up as they tried to run for safety.

One woman was taken with a 4X4 to a place where Skymed could lift her out, and in total the chopper medical rescue service lifted five hikers out for emergency medical treatment.

Collins said the meeting on Monday would be to establish exactly what happened, and what else can be done regarding safety there.

Police have warned people not to try and approach the attackers if they are spotted, because they are armed and dangerous.

Instead, call the local police or Crime Stop on 08600 10111, and the information will be treated as strictly confidential.

As early as Friday the TMNP issued a safety warning to hikers, explaining that 75% of the 25 500ha park is open with multiple access points and crime from the City of Cape Town was spilling into "natural and remote areas on the Peninsula".

It said the park has a Visitor Safety Team, a ranger corps and a dog unit with 12 trained dogs.

It is also a member of the Table Mountain Safety forum which includes the SA Police Service, the Department of Community Safety, the Metro Police, Law Enforcement and civil society.

"Working jointly [with] the above departments we seek to keep crime to a minimum and address safety concerns across the Park."

However, some users of the park gave these assurances short shrift.

The last security warning on the TMNP website was posted on November 2, 2017, for Noordhoek Beach past the Kakapo wreck, the the Peers Cave area, and the Hout Bay and Noordhoek side of Chapman's peak.

The emergency number is: 086 110 6417 or 107/021 480 7700.

The TMNP urges people to report crime to the police and to open a case to get a docket for every incident.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... p-20180114

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kevin Brandt | about 2 hours ago

CAPE TOWN - Community crime-fighting body, the Table Mountain Security Action Group, says it will meet with law enforcement bodies to address the prevalence of attacks on hikers.

A 56-year-old man was stabbed to death while hiking with his wife at the Echo Valley above Kalk Bay on Sunday.

This comes two weeks after a group of nine people were ambushed by knife-wielding attackers in the Silvermine Nature Reserve.

Attacks on hikers seem to be on the increase and many residents now say that they’ve had enough.

At least 85 attacks on hikers have been recorded over the past twelve months.

According to police, the assailant in this latest hit was dressed in a security uniform.

The recently established Table Mountain Security Action Group’s, Andrè van Schalkwyk, says it’s time for decisive action to be taken to stop these attacks.

"We're not playing around anymore. This coalition represents people who use the park. There are a large number of organisations that want to engage, that want to help. This the big message at the moment but we are also taking responsibility for our own safety now."

SANParks previously stated plans are being rolled out to address the scourge.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/29/crime-fight ... er-attacks

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Parly committee concerned attacks on hikers will hurt CT tourism

Tourism Committee chairperson Beatrice Ngcobo says tourists may become too afraid to visit Cape Town, South Africa's key international tourist destination.

Lauren Isaacs | about 7 hours ago

CAPE TOWN – Parliament's Tourism Portfolio Committee is concerned that the recent spike in attacks on hikers on the mountain may affect tourism.

A 56-year-old man was stabbed to death while hiking with his wife at the Echo Valley above Kalk Bay on Sunday.

This comes two weeks after a group of nine people were ambushed by knife-wielding attackers in the Silvermine Nature Reserve.

At least 85 attacks on hikers have been recorded over the past twelve months.

Tourism committee chairperson Beatrice Ngcobo says that tourists may become too afraid to visit Cape Town, South Africa's key international tourist destination.

“We’re worried about that because Cape Town is one of the cities that has got a lot of tourists. Now if tourists are repelled by South Africans, it means that we’re going to drop the level of tourism. It also paints a very bad picture about South Africa as a whole.”

http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/31/parly-commi ... ct-tourism

okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:Kevin Brandt | about 2 hours ago

CAPE TOWN -

This is a personal friend of Serena , who works for me -- very sad :-(
The attacker was dressed in a Sanparks uniform , and after killing the hiker , robbed him of some of his clothing - obviously so that he could change out of the uniform 0*\
We should not be surprised if hikers start taking firearms with them and start shooting at the attackers :O^

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There is nowhere left to go O/ They must be desperate to attack hikers; if you go hiking you certainly to not take a lot of money with you, max. a photo camera 0-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The WC people should adopt a more realistic approach now, maybe? O**

okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:The WC people should adopt a more realistic approach now, maybe? O**
Hmmmmm..... what are you trying to say 0*\
Does it then also mean that SA citizens should adopt a realistic approach -O-
Or does it mean that the rest of South Africa have already adopted a " more realistic approach " :O^
And what does a realistic approach mean :-? And to what :-?
Does it mean that crime is bad/terrible and we should accept it as a bad case and nothing can be done about it 0*\

Enough is enough

Return to “Table Mountain National Park”