Rhino Relocations

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Rhino Census and Rhino Relocations

Post by Lisbeth »

Apart from the stress on the animals and the enormous cost, will they be safe in Australia -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Toko

Post by Toko »

http://www.theaustralianrhinoproject.org/

http://www.theaustralianrhinoproject.or ... e_2016.pdf

Well, money might be better spent elsewhere -O- approximately $8 million, with the bulk of the cost going to air transportation. -O-

One could afford to protect an entire reserve in SA for a long while with these millions 0:

Toko

Post by Toko »

http://theaustralianrhinoproject.org/in ... -directors

The board of directors reads like a club of captalists, mine managers, entrepreneurs, bankers and multi-millionaires lol

I wonder how much environmental and social damage they are responsible for altogether --00--

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Someone has to come up with the money -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Toko

Post by Toko »

Another article about Australian Rhino Project with more details
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... 0614418338

Looks like they become zoo animals in safari parks

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Why Australia?

Although unconvinced anywhere is 100 per cent safe for the animals, Ray said he believes Australia’s strong border-security, the lack of comparable poverty and poaching-free history will make it a much safer option.

Roan adds that Australia provides a range of positives as the rhinos’ home away from home – a similar climate and habitat to Africa, vegetation with the potential to be used as browse, a lack of diseases and parasites that the animals would normally be exposed to and protection from poaching.

“Australia has abundant safety, land, resources (money, people) and is outside of the traditional poaching syndicate links,” he said, adding, “also – Australia will be harder and not as viable an option for syndicates to set up and travel to target one population.”
The "why" was on my mind... But to me the explanation sounds quite sensible.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Africa
Thursday 3 May 2018 - 9:30pm

Chadian Mamba 2 anti poaching unit that guard the park. Photo: African News Agency

CHAD - The Zakouma National Park in southeastern Chad's Salamat Region on Thursday, said they were fully equipped to ensure that the six rhinos from Addo Elephant Park, close to Port Elizabeth in South Africa, were safe.

With hours remaining before the rhino arrive, park manager Leon Lamprecht said they took extra measures to ensure the safety of the animals.

"By providing communities with the security they provide us with information and we react," Lamprecht said.

"We taking extra measures to protect the rhino, we have mobile guards outside the part and a radio system for communities to inform the park if they say a threat."

Chadian President, Idris Déby asked former South African president Jacob Zuma for 10 rhino in 2015. Zakouma National Park last had a rhino in 1972, after they became extinct.

Lamprecht said Zakouma had lost around 4,000 elephants in over eight years, but since African Parks took charge of the management of the park they had only lost 22 in the park and six in the past seven years.

"Within the next few years we should have an increase in rhino because of reproduction," Lamprecht said.

"Chadians will never be interested in poaching, they have never been involved in poaching activities because the punishment is so severe and their president has told them not to do it."

He said the rhino would be dehorned which made them valueless to poachers.

"They coming on a custodian agreement with the South African government. We have only brought in six to prove that we can handle looking after them."
While on a tour in a village located inside the park, the spokesperson of the chief, Musa Djazouli, said: "We hope that having the rhino will increase tourism, create jobs and build our economy".

Team leader of Mamba two Anti-Poaching unit, Daoud Abakar said: "I'm very happy to have rhinos back in Zakouma... I have only seen them in pictures and have done training in rhino protection in Rwanda.

Abakar has been a ranger in the park for 15 years.

Rhinos became extinct in Chad in 1972. African National Parks was found in 2000 and has been looking after the animals and community development.

He said that there was a special unit that would especially look after the rhino and the area that they would be living in.

African Parks and the government have partnered together in educating community members of a village close to where the rhinos will be placed.

African Parks has made it possible for tourists to come into Zakouma National Park and turn around the environmental crisis that was affecting them.

The staff at the park have managed to decrease poaching because of their intensive security measures, which is why South African National Parks (SanParks) has given them rhino.

The six rhino have been loaded onto a plane and will arrive in Chad Friday morning.

African News Agency
https://www.enca.com/africa/six-black-r ... ad-from-sa

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hopefully they will be protected properly O-/

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

6 black rhino from SA arrive safely in Chad

2018-05-05 10:51
Mxolisi Mngadi

Six South African black rhino have safely arrived in Chad, the Department of Environmental Affairs said on Friday.

The flight transporting the rhino as well as South African National Parks and African Parks veterinarians arrived in the Zakouma National Park in Chad shortly before 11:00 on Friday.

The rhino had been transported on Thursday from the Addo Elephant National Park, where they were held in bomas for three months.

Their arrival marked the first time in 46 years that black rhino will roam the central African country.

The last black rhino (Diceros bicornis longipes) in Chad was noted in Zakouma in 1972, with the species officially being declared extinct in 2006.

The department said there were no challenges encountered during the translocation of the rhino, which was "carried out under the watchful eye of the South African National Parks veterinarians".

Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa expressed joy at the rhino's safe arrival in Chad.

"I am delighted that South Africa's conservation success is able to contribute to the return of such an iconic species to a sister country. My fervent hope is that these rhino will serve as a catalyst for economic growth, particularly in the conservation and tourism fields, in Chad," Molewa said in a statement.

Molewa and Chadian Minister of Environment and Fisheries Ahmat Mbodou Mahamat had on October 8, 2017, signed a memorandum of understanding in the field of Biodiversity Conservation and Management in Pretoria.

They had also signed a memorandum of understanding which allows for the translocation of black rhino from South Africa to Chad as part of an initiative to reintroduce rhino to the African country, the department said.

Welcoming the rhino to the Zakouma National Park, South Africa's ambassador to Chad, Titus Matlakeng, said he was delighted that South Africa's conservation success, particularly in saving the black rhino from extinction, enabled "this contribution that marked the historic return of this iconic species to the Republic of Chad".

"My fervent hope is that this reintroduction will contribute to the strengthening of conservation and tourism sectors that are critical in advancing economic growth, social cohesion, and rural development in both countries," he said.

Chad had earlier signed an agreement with African Parks Network (APN) which allows APN to manage the country’s national parks.

Rhino have previously been translocated from South Africa to Namibia, Botswana, Rwanda and Tanzania.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I wonder from where Sanparks has taken the rhinos -O-

There are not that many around so they must be hand picked.

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”