10.03. - 24.03.2015 From Berg to bush
19.11. - 01.12.2015 KTP
ExFmem

814. Southern Masked-Weaver - 40 Points

Post by ExFmem »

814. Southern Masked Weaver Ploceus velatus

Common resident.
Identification
Breeding males are easily recognizable with black beaks and masks that extend across the forehead, a bright yellow crown and underparts, and red eyes. Non-breeding males resemble the females but retain the red eye.

Kielie Krankie November

Image by Mel
Kieliekrankie, October 2013

Image by Tina
Gharagab October 2013

Image by nan
Male, 17.2.2011, Grootkolk

Image by Michele Nel
Twee Rivieren - July 2016

The female has a pinkish-brown bill, brown or red-brown eye and is dull greenish-yellow, streaked darker on the upper back. The throat is yellowish, fading to off-white on the belly. Breeding females have slightly more yellow underparts and redder eyes.

The juvenile of this species is like the female but is duller and greyer on the underparts.
Last edited by ExFmem on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExFmem

348. Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon) - 60 Points

Post by ExFmem »

348. Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon) Columba livia

Identification
The typical rock dove has a dark bluish-gray head, neck, and chest with glossy yellowish, greenish, and reddish-purple iridescence along its neck and wing feathers. Females tend to show less iridescence than the males. The bill is dark grayish-pink. Two dark bands across the wings are seen in most pigeons, and one bluish-gray band across the tail.

Urikaruus October

Rock doves and feral pigeons can be divided into a large number of different phenotypes, or groups based on outward characteristics. Highly variable in color with many color combinations occur such as pure white, white with dark head, dark grey w/ white head, etc.

There are few visible differences between males and females.

The species is generally monogamous, with two squeakers (young) per brood. Both parents care for the young for a time.

Mel
Global Moderator

284. Ruff - 60 Points

Post by Mel »

284. Ruff Philomachus pugnax

Identification
29-32 cm, males larger than females. Legs orange, yellow, green or flesh-coloured. Short straight bill, which is pink to orange when breeding, brown, red or yellow otherwise. (pink to orange-red in breading season). Small head on long neck. Legs can be green, yellow, orange or flesh-coloured. Breeding male has ear tufts, crest and erectile ruff - black, brown, white; barred or streaked. Belly and sides of rump are white. Black breast. Pale narrow wing bar. Female and non breeding male: brown, streaked darker above with a buffy breast. Juvenile resembles non-breeding adult but is buffier.

Image by Mel
Lijersdraai, October 2013

Image by Michelle Nel
Dalkeith, 31/12/2015

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

847. Black-faced Waxbill - 60 Points

Post by Mel »

847. Black-faced Waxbill (Black-cheeked Waxbill) Estrilda erythronotos

Identification
13 cm, Black face and red rump, flanks and upper belly, greyish brown body and head, distinctive black face patch, black bill, legs and feet; and crimson eyes. Female slightly duller, young ones like female.

Image by Mel
Grootkolk, October 2011

Image by nan

Image by ExFmem
Nov. 2013 Grootkolk

Image by Tina
South of Houmoed 06.10.2014

Image© Michele Nel
Twee Rivieren - 22/07/2016
Black-faced Waxbill (2).JPG
by Lisbeth - Grootkolk, Nov. 2017

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

870. Black-throated Canary - 60 Points

Post by Mel »

870. Black-throated Canary Serinus atrogularis

Identification
15-16 cm. White crown with black lateral crown stripes and white supercilium, black-bordered white ear coverts. Chestnut mantle and a rich yellow breast washed with orange. Whitish lower belly, grey rump. Sexes very similar, but females have buff tone to head, browner head stripes, and the back may have dark streaks. Juveniles are duller and paler than the females.

Image by Mel
Samevloeiing, April 2011

Image by ExFmem
Oct. 2007 Cubitije Quap

Image by Michele Nel
14th Borehole - Dec 2014

Mel
Global Moderator

258. Blacksmith Lapwing - 100 Points

Post by Mel »

258. Blacksmith Lapwing Vanellus armatus

Identification
30 cm, white cap, black neck and body, grey wings, tail black and white, white belly, nape patch, underwings and rump, rest of plumage black, red eye. Females are usually and heavier but the sexes are generally alike.

Grootkolk, October 2011

Image by Michele Nel
Just outside Twee Rivieren Dec 2015

Image by nan
24.1.2016 Samevloeiing

Image by ExFmem
Montrose

ExFmem

529. Rock Martin - 60 Points

Post by ExFmem »

529. Rock Martin Hirundo fuligula

Identification
A stocky Martin, told in flight by broad wings and white 'windows' in the fanned tail. The only Martin with all brown plumage. It is 12–15 cm long, with mainly brown plumage, paler-toned on the upper breast and underwing coverts, pinkish-cinnamon throats, and with a short square tail that has small white patches near the tips of all but the central and outermost pairs of feathers. The eyes are brown, the small bill is mainly black, and the legs are brownish-pink. The sexes are alike in both size and plumage coloration.

Urikaruus October

Image by Michele Nel
Twee Rivieren - Oct 2013

Image by nan
15.2.1016 Twee Rivieren

Mel
Global Moderator

465. Acacia Pied Barbet - 40 Points

Post by Mel »

465. Acacia Pied Barbet (Pied Barbet) Tricholaema leucomelas

Identification
17-18 cm. Boldly marked head with red forehead, black crown, central nape, eyestripes and throat. Yellow and white eyebrow. Upperparts largely black with yellow markings, wings black with white and yellow. Underparts white to yellowish white and pale grey. The bill is black, the eyes dark brown, and the legs and feet blackish. No similar bird within range.

Image :o0ps:
Grootkolk, March 2013

27.2.2016 - Twee Rivieren
Image by nan

Image by Michele Nel
Acacia Pied Barbet - Gharaghab - Jan 2016

Image by ExFmem
KTC

Tina

653. Yellow-bellied Eremomela - 40 Points

Post by Tina »

653. Yellow-bellied Eremomela Eremomela icteropygialis

Identification
a pale, grey-backed eremomela with a yellow-washed belly and red-brown eyes

Image by Tina
Lower Dune Road October 2013

Image by Mel
13th Borehole, 04/11/2014

Image by Michelle Nel
Rooiputs, 28/12/2015