Car rental advice for foreign visitors

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Car rental advice for foreign visitors

Post by Lisbeth »

Okie, I am sure that Nan knows it all, she has been going alone to KTP for many years now. Maybe the rental companies did not have the SUVs on the list before -O-

We went to KTP with a Nissan X-Trail and it was more than enough even if not being a 4x4, but I have seen videos of Nan's last trip with roads washed away by the rain and I am sure that she was happy to have a 4x4 then :yes: The sand is not an easy obstacle 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

sure I was \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
okie

Post by okie »

What kind/make of SUV's do they offer nan . Remember , normally SUV also means it is a station wagon type vehicle , so therefore a Range Rover , or Pajero can also be considered as an SUV , and they top-of-the-range 4 x 4 's .
In South Africa , generally if you just say 4 x 4 , then most people think of " bakkies ( trucks ) , which could also be double cab bakkies ( therefore a cross between a station wagon and a bakkie .) ;-)

Enough is enough
okie

Post by okie »

Then of course , a high clearance bakkie with diff-lock does a very good job in poor conditions too lol Then you do not need 4x4 either O**
especially if you have All Terrain tyres fitted , instead of normal Road Tyres . Most SUV's for hire are usually fitted with normal road tyres , and they can get you stuck in wet muddy conditions , even if it is also a 4x4 .

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is different in Europe, Okie. We do not see many double cab bakkies around here ;-)

I do not know where Nan rent her cars, but I do it through a German based broker, who offers "All Inclusive" at reasonable prices included damages at the under wagon, tires and windows, extra driver etc. and they usually use "European" expressions ;-) Asking will do the trick O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Now you are making it difficult, Okie 0*\

For my next trip I have rented the cheapest 4 door thingie that they have lol

nan

Post by nan »

so must ask the renter
need high clearence with one that make "good job" in the sand/bad conditions, like you said \O

and lot of place for a fridge, cameras always ready to handle
lot of water etc... lol

and like Liz said, there is not this sort of cars here ;-)

I have asked your Liz :yes:
and the travel agence is searching :yes:
but both speak about SUV

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When we talk about SUV here, it is a 4x4, but it is better to aks: "Is your SUV a 4x4?" ;-) Mostly people do not drive around in a desert, especially one where it is raining from time to time =O:

My armchair is calling, Good night 0/*

okie

Post by okie »

yes indeed , you must ask . In South Africa , most SUV's are driven by housewives , and they never go off-road :O^
And most car rental companies think that their customers will never go off-road either . We experienced that when we went to Alaska , we were given a Jeep 4 x 4 , automatic , and it had ordinary road tyres on it . The first really rough gravel road we hit , tore one of the tyres tp shreds , and we were without a spare for the next 350 miles in lonesome country - somewhat scary O-/
If you want to hire a 4x4 , you should contact Britz 4 x 4 rentals ( website : http://www.britz.co.za/)) . They supply you with everything , very professional and good reasonable pricing \O

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

good night Liz 0/*

thank you okie will ask at your link... tomorrow 0/0

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”