Things to do close to O R Tambo

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
rayb

Things to do close to O R Tambo

Post by rayb »

November 8th will be a sad day as we leave Pretoriuskop after 21 days in the Kruger. We have a 7.30pm flight, so won't risk hanging around and will make an early start back. Chances are, we will arrive back early, so can anyone recommend things to do to kill a couple of hours? A nice shopping mall maybe.

BravoEen

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Post by BravoEen »

rayb wrote:November 8th will be a sad day as we leave Pretoriuskop after 21 days in the Kruger. We have a 7.30pm flight, so won't risk hanging around and will make an early start back. Chances are, we will arrive back early, so can anyone recommend things to do to kill a couple of hours? A nice shopping mall maybe.
Hi Rayb, There is a emperors palace quite close to OR Thambo, has restaurants, arcade, gambling facilities, movies, etc...

about 15 to 20 minutes from OR Thambo there is the East Rand mall, which has quite the array of shops and restaurants.

If your after African "novelties" the flea market is opposite of the East Rand Mall.

If I were you, check on google maps for more information. there are many places within a 10km radius from OR Thambo.

"Permanence, perseverance, persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the week." - Thomas Carlyle.

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success." - Bruce Feirstein.

I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me. - A guy who's name I can't remember
rayb

Post by rayb »

Thanks BravoEen. We went to the East Rand Mall last time but that was 9 years ago. The Flea market sounds good.

BravoEen

Post by BravoEen »

rayb wrote:Thanks BravoEen. We went to the East Rand Mall last time but that was 9 years ago. The Flea market sounds good.
Cheers!

There is also a nice pub inside the airport, which serves 3 types of locally made craft beer, with a overlook of the airplanes.

"Permanence, perseverance, persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the week." - Thomas Carlyle.

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success." - Bruce Feirstein.

I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me. - A guy who's name I can't remember
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Be careful O-/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
rayb

Post by rayb »

Lisbeth wrote:Be careful O-/
Of anything in particular Lisbeth? Leaving a car full of our cases etc. in a mall carpark is a bit worrying.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

That too! Last time I happened to be in Joburg I was highjacked, when my parents were there years ago, all their money were stolen, so it is definitely not my kind of town. Even reading the local paper is scary :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Just don't tell the car guards you have valuables in the car, whatever you do! ;-)

And also don't obviously look like tourists, like wearing sandals and socks! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
rayb

Post by rayb »

Richprins wrote:Just don't tell the car guards you have valuables in the car, whatever you do! ;-)

And also don't obviously look like tourists, like wearing sandals and socks! =O:
Great advice Rich. The bar at JNB is looking more and more attractive. :)

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ag, it's not that bad...our minister of Sport and Police is threatening hellfire upon OR Tambo crooks! lol X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”