Identified Tuskers of Kruger National Park

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
aat

BOYALA

Post by aat »

BOYALA

Characteristics
Left tusks is long and curved. Right tusk has been broken.
Left ear: Little hole and small notch. Right ear: two holes and large notch.

Range
Shingwedzi - Babalala

Tuskers of Africa - Boyala

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

DUNGILE

Post by aat »

DUNGILE

Characteristics
Both tusks curved inwards. Big notch in right ear, two small notches in the left ear.

Range
Babalala - Shingwedzi

Babalala, December 2012

Picture2.png
Picture2.png (750.87 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
Flutterby

Dungile Tusker Kruger National Park

Post by Flutterby »

Dungile, seen en route to Shingwedzi, October 2011.

aat

HLAMVU

Post by aat »

HLAMVU

Characteristics
Both tusks are curved inwards.
V-shaped notch in left ear at the lower part of the earlobe. Notches at the right ear center and top.

Range
Mopani – South of Shingwedzi

Near the Hlamvu River along the S50, February 2009.

Picture3.png
Picture3.png (826.6 KiB) Viewed 565 times

aat

KALEKA

Post by aat »

KALEKA

Characteristics
Clean ears. Right tusk more straight, left tusk shorter then right.

Range
Mopani - Letaba

Tuskers of Africa - Kaleka

nan

Kaleka Tusker Kruger National Park

Post by nan »

around Mopani - 18.10.2009 - 8h48

Last edited by nan on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
aat

Post by aat »

Kaleka, 29 November 2012

From my trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

We go to the homeland for several tuskers…. Mopani (Mooiplaas waterhole)
Some tuskers do travel a lot , some tuskers do have a kind of area they almost never leave… an interesting fact to keep in mind.
One of the tuskers who does not travel a lot is KALEKA.
I met a few times before and again I found him in “his” area , near Mooiplaas waterhole.

100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

Kaleka, May 2013

During our May 2013 KNP Elephant Safari we were really privileged to see Kaleka late in the afternoon just before gate closing time within 2 km of where we were camped in Tsendze.

We were heading for camp quite relaxed after yet another marvelous day talking about seeing several large tuskers since we left the Shingwedzi river behind us. As we rounded the bend before the turn-off to the Mooiplaas Picknick Spot I noticed two elephants in the distance and pointing them out to the others Lettie, the dedicated tusker hunter that she is, immediately called out that it is yet another big tusker and a monster at that !

We were quite far from the tusker and I kept steady at 50 km/h to close the distance as quick as possible since the elephants were now scampering across the road. Lettie grabbed the camera with the shorter lens and started shooting through the windscreen while I switched the engine off and coasted in on the elephants which were now over the road and moving into the dense mopani forest.

We have familiarized ourselves from Aat's TUSKERSOFAFRICA as to which tuskers we could expect here and was certain that it was Kaleka whose back was now showing in the mopani but, how to get a better view ? Certainly we could not go to camp with only a few second's view of this magnificent tusker !

Looking and listening to their movements it was clear they were moving towards the Tsendze river and that they will have to cross the dust road which turned off some 50 m behind us. I reversed back to the turn-off and then proceeding quietly [ that's why I insist on a petrol engined vehicle ] down the dust road and soon Lettie could hear the elepants moving through the mopani to our left - they have not yet crossed the dust road !

The engine was switched off again and now the waiting game commenced. After quite a while Kaleka's askari was first to show himself and then a short while later Kaleka became partly visible behind some mopani shrubbery.

A few minutes later and Kaleka boldly crossed the dust road right in front of us :-

He quickly walked into the mopani forrest to our right and with the sun now well behind the horison. I quietly moved the vehicle backwards down the "River Loop" road giving Lettie, who was on the LH side the best possible view for photos.

Unfortunately Kaleka remained well into the mopani but Lettie managed this close-up photo of his tusks :-

Just look at Kaleka's left tusk - although curved forward it actually is not much shorter than the right tusk and beautifully thick - certainly a tusk of note in it's own right.

But that right tusk - whaaaw !

A minute or so later and we were relaxing with a sundowner in our campsite, still flabbergasted with the knowledge of seeing several exceptional tuskers since leaving the Shingwedzi River - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD ! !

aat

Post by aat »

Kaleka, 29 April 2014

Meeting Kaleka

April 29th , got up very early since in Mopani you have to leave very very early to see Tuskers. Hahahaha...you think , you got up early to see Lions. Wronggggggggggg ;-) ;-) Gate open just before 6 am... all cars (3) started engines and go.... 2 left towards Shingwedzi for the lions I guess... me right towards Mooiplaas waterhole. Shock...mis calculation ? No tusker(s), no cats... so taking the S49 ..why not..

3 Km driving (6.01 am) and yessssssssss..... 6th sense was right O** O**

Behind the bush I saw my good friend KALEKA .... (nan , remember 2009 when you photographed him ? O0 - look at his tusks now -)

slowly.... thanks Kaleka... and yes I can see you are watching... X#X

If you just woke up , being alone in your car (Elly still sleeping, wondering why I had to go that early) and meeting one of your tuskers ... you say crazy things.... at least I do 0-

Kaleka offered me a last nice view

bye and hope to see you again 0/*

BluTuna

Kaleka - Tusker Kruger National Park

Post by BluTuna »

Kaleka 19 May 2014, Mooiplaas Waterhole

Kaleka, Marhumbini & Ngodzi

Kaleka & Ngodzi

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!

Return to “Mammals”