Mammals: Interesting or Unusual Behaviour

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Interesting or Unusual Behaviour

Post by Richprins »

(Actually at De Laporte)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

That leopard is becoming known for catching impala in the drinking trough. :yes:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

VIDEO

https://twitter.com/i/status/1050671365374664704

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
Oct 12

"We were shocked to find that this huge croc had just caught a leopard!
So sad, but I guess that this is nature. It eventually dragged the leopard towards the river and we lost sight of it."
Seen a recently at Lower Sabie
Tinged by Kevin Isakow

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

Could be a leopard with TB or even an old leopard by the looks of it.

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
harrys

Post by harrys »

Nooooo, poor Leopard @#$ @#$

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

From what we know, it might already have been dead and the croc will never be able to pull it to pieces and swallow it....I think :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

A big croc like that will easily pull it apart eventually, Lis. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very good activity and camerawork this! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

phpBB [video]

A leopard was forced to drag his impala (that can weight up to 75 kilograms) further up a tree when a lion clawed his way up.

Graeme Mitchley was near Lower Sabie in the Kruger National Park when he came across this action-packed sighting.

From across the river Mitchley watched a leopard stalk an impala herd. “I realised that they (the impala herd) had grabbed his attention. All of a sudden, there was dust everywhere and the impala scattered. There was a lot of alarm calling when I noticed the leopard hauling a bushbuck carcass into a nearby tree,” he said.
As the leopard was sitting down for his meal, Mitchley spotted two male lions that had seen the leopard haul the carcass into the tree, and they dashed in that direction.

One of the lions decided he wanted the leopard’s kill and climbed the tree. “It was amazing to witness. He swung his left paw towards the leopard and kill, the leopard just managed to evade his clutches and went higher up. The branches were not that thick higher up, I was amazed at the leopard’s agility,” Mitchley said.

In the video the leopard can be seen taking the kill with him, as the lion encroaches in his space. After much effort the lion soon realises he will not be able to reach the object of his desires and climbs down defeated.

“The lion eventually got back on to the ground and both lions made their way down to the river. After realising all was clear the leopard moved further down the tree to continue his meal,” he said.

“My heart was pumping and the adrenaline was flowing. Just to see a leopard or a lion is an amazing experience, but to witness the interaction between the two was mind-blowing.

“It is hard to predict what is going to happen in nature. All I can say is, be patient and see what unfolds. I patiently watched a leopard for half an hour stalking his prey. I didn’t know how the scene was going to play out. Other cars got bored and drove away. Little did anyone know there were also two lions hiding in the reeds,” Mitchley said.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Good camerwork indeed...that was far away! :shock: The lion is not as graceful as the leopard in a tree! lol lol

Alf

Post by Alf »

That's indeed far away... Makes you wonder how this person saw the leopard in the first place.

Must give the lion 8/10 for trying ^Q^ ^Q^

And 10/10 for the leopard to react so quickly ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................

Return to “Mammals”