African Wild Dog

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Lisbeth »

-O-

Baboon chasing wild dog, not the other way around lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

-O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Become part of the pack with Vodacom Red

As part of the Vodacom Super Rugby Red Rewards campaign, seven loyal Vodacom Red clients and their partners will get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to track, collar and vaccinate African wild dogs in the Kruger National Park from 20-22 June.
May 22, 2018

With the help of SANParks, State Vets and the Endangered Wildlife Trust, the Vodacom Red clients will experience first-hand the valuable research efforts that come from being able to actively track Southern Africa’s most endangered carnivore, whose numbers have significantly reduced due to illegal poaching and other threats to their survival.

But a job this big needs a team who know how to work together as a family and when it comes to leading his pack out onto the field, Vodacom Bulls coach John Mitchell is one of the best in the business.

It’s no surprise then that Mitchell and three of his Vodacom Bulls players have answered the call and will join the fight in tackling the threat to wild dog populations head on.

The lucky Vodacom Red clients will spend their days together with the Vodacom Bulls in the Kruger National Park learning and observing as the Endangered Wildlife Trust carry out their work, while spending their evenings in the company of Mitchell and the players, who no doubt will have plenty of stories about their Vodacom Super Rugby season so far.

With their season-long #BullsFamily50K campaign bringing fans closer to their team, the Vodacom Bulls are the perfect partners for this unique Vodacom Red Rewards experience, which will allow conservationists to monitor the movement of these packs, through innovative technologies such as satellite tracking as well as Internet of Things (IOT) technology.

The trip is the fourth on a list of once-in-a-lifetime, money-can’t-buy experiences being offered by Vodacom during the 2018 Vodacom Super Rugby season to its Vodacom Red clients.

For a chance to be part of the pack, Vodacom Red clients should register their entries on Vodacom Red Rewards by 4 June.

https://lowvelder.co.za/433329/part-pack-vodacom-red/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

By flying cheetah 2012:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 6&start=20

flying cheetah wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Some people hope to see a kill one day in Kruger others prefer to watch more peaceful scenes. When I left Skukuzas one morning and drove the H11 I had the luck to watch a pack of wild dogs in action. Two dogs brought down an Impala ram and before I realized what was happening more dogs came from all directions. During the sighting I tried to count them and there were 20 or 21. I was very surprised that it took the dog 80 minutes before the Impala was totally eaten, I thought it would happen mich quicker. I also was very surprised that the other people who arrived 20 minutes after the kill only stayed for a few pics and then drove on. It took half an hour before the first OSV's arrived and then I was stuck beside the kill and couldn't move on. I didn't really mind O:V
But that's only the first part of the story, the rest follows tomorrow O** And here is the first series of pics, I think you can understand how thrilled I was by the action O/\ O/\ O/\

flying cheetah wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:35 pm
When the traffic jam got chaotic the dogs were still very relaxed and started to play around the kill. After a while I heard the driver of an OSV talking about leopard and I thought I got a message about a leopard sighting nearby. Then I realized that the leopard was just behind my car :shock: He wanted to cross the road towards the kill but then returned into the bush. 5 minutes later he crossed 20-30 meters up the road but the dogs immedeately chased him up a tree. Unfortunetely I seemed to be the only one who didn't see him now and I couldn't move one bit forward or backwards.
At the end the traffic control car arrived to clear the traffic jam as by now nobody had a change to drive on :-? Altogether I stayed 1 1/2 hours with the dogs and it was one of my most thrilling sightings ever O/\ O\/ O/\

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The biggest pack this decade at Orpen, Heksie 2013:

30-odd animals! :shock:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 15#p141115

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ja, it is a huge pack! :yes:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A few days ago somebody (Roger I think) posted a video with a mad elephant and it looked as if there were a lot of dogs around. I don't remember where it was taken -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The African Wild Dog is an iconic species that is one of South Africa’s most Endangered large carnivores.

An estimated 520 remain in South Africa. Sometimes referred to as Painted Dogs due to their striking coat pattern, African Wild Dogs are unique predators, intelligent and efficient, yet often misunderstood. They need a large and ecologically diverse landscape to roam and hunt, yet we are in danger of forever losing this carnivore as a result of habitat loss, snaring and disease.

phpBB [video]

Return to “Mammals”