Lion

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Lion

Post by Richprins »

This is a mess, and very interesting! ^Q^

As I see it, the mating pair were busy, the wind totally messed up the zebra, and the lioness went for supper. Typically, the male was more interested in mating but made a token effort there at the end of the kill... :O^ They have to eat eventually! lol

Then the sounds alerted the rest of the pride, so the dominant male and the dominant females acted instinctively to restore order so to speak? The main male won't tolerate other males unless in a coalition, at mating.

I'm not so sure that this was the actual moment the youngsters were chased away? :no:

It is the same pride, otherwise they would all have gone for the couple, no questions asked.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Even the females attacked the male youngsters -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Amazing footage! \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, it was in Rapport Sunday Paper this weekend! \O

Wonder where exactly it is... :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

wow ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
“This will become a pride to be reckoned with in the Lower Sabie area of Kruger National Park,” says Bekker
:-?

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I thought I'd seen these pics long ago, but must have been another pride. -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

So did I, but it is probably as you say -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

phpBB [video]

Get roaring this #WildlifeWednesday with our favourite big cat - the African Lion. Footage courtesy of Siyaya - Come wild with us.

Hailed as the King of the Jungle, the roaring lion is one of SA’s favourite big cats. Although they are only found in national parks, game reserves and zoos, a few have known to escape and roam near cities.

South Africa has a big canned lion hunting industry, which many wildlife groups are trying to ban. As babies they are used for petting by tourists, but many grow up destined for the end of a rifle.

The lion is listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List, and the biggest populations can only be found in Africa, with the exception of a park in India that has some of the only remaining Asian lions in the world.

Lionesses tend to do the hunting while the male protects the pride. He has first dibs on the meal though after a hunt.

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

phpBB [video]

A lioness, separated from one of her six cubs has proven that motherly love runs deep.

In this footage shared by Latest Sightings designer, Chris Tote, describes the Kruger National Park scene in which a herd of about 20 elephants suddenly started trumpeting and charging after realising the lions were close at hand.

Tote says, “I had been watching two lionesses with sic small cubs lazing about in the Sabie Riverbed for about half an hour. In the distance, I could see two herds of elephants on either side of the river, and I thought if I wait long enough the one herd is more than likely going to walk right to where these lions are and from there, anything could happen.

"Sure enough, about an hour later this herd of around twenty elephants suddenly started trumpeting and charging as soon as they realized that they were amongst lions.

Tote says the two lionesses shot up the river bank and onto the road and all they could do was anxiously watch in the hopes that their cubs would be alright.

After what seemed like an age, the elephants finally moved through the area and the lionesses were able to head back down in search for the six cubs.

"They were scattered everywhere and it took close to half an hour before they finally emerged at the roadside.

At this point Totes says there were a lot of cars around, which made crossing the road was a scary prospect for the cubs.

"One by one they plucked up the courage and made it across and into the surrounding bushveld. All but one that is."

See the mother lioness as she rescues the little fellow...

"The tiny cub cried out for its mom with all its might but there were so many cars around with engines running that there is no way she would have heard it.

"Tote says at some point one of the lionesses must have realized there was one cub missing. He says she suddenly appeared in the road and ran quickly down to the river bed to find the missing cub.

"About five minutes later she appeared carrying the little cub in her mouth and off they went to reunite with the rest of the pride and cubs," he says.

Return to “Mammals”