Post by ExFmem »

Porcupine - Afrikaans: Ystervark; Tswana: Noko; Nama/Damara: !Noab

Are you smarter than a sponge (an animal with NO brain cells)? -O-

Test Your Knowledge: Porcupine Quiz

http://easyscienceforkids.com/fun-porcu ... -for-kids/

ExFmem

Re: Porcupine - Mammal of the Month: August 2014

Post by ExFmem »

The word porcupine means "quill pig" in Latin; however, porcupines are large rodents and not related to pigs at all.

The Cape porcupine or South African porcupine, (Hystrix africaeaustralis), is a species of Old World porcupine native to central and southern Africa.
They are the largest rodents in southern Africa and also the world's largest porcupines. Females are, on average, about one kilogram heavier than males and both sexes are larger than half a meter long.

Ktp - north of Urikaruus

Distribution and habitat
Cape porcupines are found across the whole of southern and central Africa, to southern Kenya, Uganda, and Congo at the northern edge of their range. They inhabit a wide range of habitats, from sea level to 2,000 metres (6,600 ft), although they are only marginally present in dense forests and the driest of deserts, and are not found in swampland. There are no currently recognized subspecies.

They prefer rocky hills and outcrops, as they must have shelter during the day. They often take shelter in caves or antbear holes. They also build dens which can be up to 20m long with a 2m deep living chamber.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Defense
Hystrix africaeaustralis have interesting defensive behaviors. They have quite acute hearing and will freeze when approached by predators, such as big cats, large predatory birds, or hyaenas. When cornered, these porcupines can be aggressive, running sideways or backwards to embed their sharp quills in an attacker. Contrary to myth, they can not throw their quills, but they may become dislodged when they shake their hollow rattling quills. The very sharp spines and quills come off when touched by a predator or are shaken off, but they grow new ones to replace them. It can take between 2 to 6 months for a porcupine to regrow a quill.

KTP - Dalkeith

Another defensive behavior is to hide in their holes facing in and erect their spines so that they can not be dislodged.

Lion versus Porcupine

Honey Badger versus Porcupine

Leopard versus Porcupine

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Unfortunately I have never seen one :-( But this way I can at least see those of the others ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Toko

Post by Toko »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ExFmem

nan

Post by nan »

a not easy one... but magnificent choice ^Q^
at last I (we) will be fortunate to see some O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

ExFmem - The last time I saw one was as a child. I would love to see one in the wild \O

Your pics are sturnning 0() 0()

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Thanks Amoli. I picked porcupine due to the fact I have had such an incredibly difficult time photographing one and wanted to see everyone else's pics. Looks like a lot of us have the same problem. I have seen them scurrying away on the road coming out of KielieKrankie, but only managed a pic with a few quills sticking up over the hillside. Also two vanishing into the hyena den north of Urikaruus that the hyenas had abandoned, but again, just a pic of quills sticking out. O/

Finally got this one single semi-acceptable shot last year north of Urikaruus, so that seems to be a good area. Good luck everybody!

Maybe some of the Kruger addicts on the Forum have some from there? O\/

Super Mongoose

Post by Super Mongoose »

Ouch, last looks eina! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The last porcupine I've seen in the wild was 25 years ago next to the fence at Punda.
Hope the mites post lots of sighting!

Imagine RhiNOs!
We have to stand together to STOP the madness!
Please support a Rhino project!
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great choice ExFmem...I think your pic is great!! \O \O

Return to “Mammals”