Jumping Spider IDs and Comments

Discussions and information on all Southern African Invertebrates

Moderator: Klipspringer

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Question Born Out of Frustration

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
okie

Post by okie »

Can understand your frustration ExFmem . Spiders are such interesting creatures , but relatively few books around that one can refer to . :-(

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

ExFmem wrote: For example, I have a number of Jumping Spiders from Kruger which I can't identify by ANY books, on-line identification guides, etc etc ad nauseum. The only entry for them in AW's spider book is at the Family level, so do I add all mine as Salticidae species? Is that really helpful?
keep your spiders, jumping or not, for you 0'

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Didn't we get a new species recognised from here? \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
wynand

Post by wynand »

I am also struggling with Spider ID's. The popular field guides at our disposal (Filmer's and GoggoGuide) aren't intended to facilitate much genus or species identification except for the most common ones that happen to have their photographs featured. If you place your spider in its correct family you're doing well in my book.

I'm living in hope that a new spider guide by AD-S will relieve some of my misery: http://www.lapa.co.za/product-view/942/ ... urer_id/35

Good price at Loot: http://www.loot.co.za/product/ansie-dip ... errer=iosa

My copy is on its way.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 am As I struggle to identify my insects, and I see there are more questions than answers, I ask myself WHY are we even attempting to create a database when the "experts" don't even have the answers? 0: 0:

For example, I have a number of Jumping Spiders from Kruger which I can't identify by ANY books, on-line identification guides, etc etc ad nauseum. The only entry for them in AW's spider book is at the Family level, so do I add all mine as Salticidae species? Is that really helpful?

0/* ExFmem

you have been moaning here some years ago =O:
Meanwhile we have lots more information available, so we could give it another go if you have photos with a dorsal view.

Now we have this wonderful database for reference https://www.jumpingspiders.co.za/gallery.html

Amazing, how the internet has expanded popular knowledge. I can speak only for myself, but I am now able to ID a lot of small things because I learnt from the internet.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Comments on "Invertebrates" topics

Post by Lisbeth »

If all of us have not become more knowledgable we cannot blame the Internet \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

0/* Klippies 0/0
Yes, I have been SO frustrated trying to ID jumping spiders for EONS. They are so incredibly adorable (for spiders O-/ ), so I take pics of them every time I get a chance. I think they could be the next have-to-have toy as a stuffed animal if they were made soft and fluffy with those huge innocent eyes. :yes: :yes:

It's rather strange (do you have psychic powers, or are you living in my basement O-/ :shock: ) that you posted this now, as I have been going through my backlog of them and wondering whether or not to post them since a generic Family designation seems unhelpful. I have a probable ID of Natta horizontalis on two, but need to read a bit more, as the number of orange spots differs so much .... <zz> <zz> <zz> more on that tomorrow. Lucky you.

I have about 7 different ones from 2016 Kruger, so will see what I can ID, then post the rest in the ID topic. 0/0 (and that's just ONE trip's worth - been photographing them since the animal remnants of the ARK disembarked.)

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 am 0/* Klippies 0/0
Yes, I have been SO frustrated trying to ID jumping spiders for EONS. They are so incredibly adorable (for spiders O-/ ), so I take pics of them every time I get a chance. I think they could be the next have-to-have toy as a stuffed animal if they were made soft and fluffy with those huge innocent eyes. :yes: :yes:

It's rather strange (do you have psychic powers, or are you living in my basement O-/ :shock: ) that you posted this now, as I have been going through my backlog of them and wondering whether or not to post them since a generic Family designation seems unhelpful. I have a probable ID of Natta horizontalis on two, but need to read a bit more, as the number of orange spots differs so much .... <zz> <zz> <zz> more on that tomorrow. Lucky you.

I have about 7 different ones from 2016 Kruger, so will see what I can ID, then post the rest in the ID topic. 0/0 (and that's just ONE trip's worth - been photographing them since the animal remnants of the ARK disembarked.)
We can do an extra topic for jumping spiders and discuss them there, if we manage to ID to genus or species level, we can add to the spider book?
They are so funny pretty creatures and certainly deserve their gallery here, with or without name.
Actually, we can use this topic and you can re-name it, if you like.

Genus Natta includes only two species. I trust you will pick the correct one!

Just feel free to post them all here, maybe we can find something now.

I have seen an undiscribed Phintella in the AW spider book for a start lol

ExFmem

Re: Jumping Spider IDs and Comments

Post by ExFmem »

APRIL 2020 UPDATE: I have changed the topic title so we may use this thread for jumping spider identifications and comments on same. Thanks.

Return to “Invertebrates”