Just south of Bangu

Peter Betts

Re: Flavour of the Month March 2012: Bangu Windmill

Post by Peter Betts »

About 500 m north of Bangu

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

One morning I left Balule for Bangu at gate opening time and at the waterhole I heard the distant noise of a large Buffalo herd..Maybe they were coming to drink so I passed the waterhole to the left of me and turned around 200 metres further on and crawled up to nearly level with the Resevoir and switched off and put the bean bag on my window ..I was facing back to Balule. It was lovely just being there on my own watching a group of roosting Ground Hornbills waking up in the fever trees front left and sailing to the ground while the Buff were bellowing in the distance. 5 mins later a huge Male lion crossed over the road left to right well past the windmill about 200 metres from me going away from the buff. Too late she cried as I would have just got a bum shot of the disappearing cat by the time I started my car and got there. Lo and behold a 2nd lion even bigger crossed the road at the same place about a minute later..Must be a pair of Nomads.. Then a minute later a 3rd male lion crossed..I was furious as they would have approached along a dry sort of open water course and the low angle approach shots of each male coming in at intervals would have been awesome with the morning sun behind me. I started my car anyway as the Buff also seemed to be drifting in the direction of Balule and as I was idling along towards the spot of the triple male lion crossing a FOURTH male lion crossed and this is the ONLY shot I got!!..Not my day!!

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

We were there last weekend...lovely spot! :-0

Still couldn't work out what was going on re water...the troughs were dry, but the windmill turning, seemingly disconnected, with some water in the reservoir... 0:
q1.jpg

The elephant could drink, just, from the reservoir, the giraffe could only look in wistfully.

q2.jpg

It was a mother of an elephant! :yes:

q.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

All the shade is gone, unfortunately... :no:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Huge tusks!! :shock:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”