Flavour of the Month - July & August 2018 - H3 Afsaal Tar Road & Kwaggaspan (Malelane - Skukuza)

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - July & August 2018 - H3 Afsaal Tar Road & Kwaggaspan (Malelane - Skukuza)

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
19h19 hours ago

14:30
Young leopard stationary
H3, 15km N of Malelane
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Barco & Riehan

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - July & August 2018 - H3 Afsaal Tar Road & Kwaggaspan (Malelane - Skukuza)

Post by Richprins »

From a 2014 Pumbaa report:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3940
Pumbaa wrote: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 pm
We meanwhile left already the S110 and were travelling along the H3 as normally although tar roads are definitely not our favourites same is always very productive. First we had to stop for a large group of zebras which had to cross the road right in front of us

and then we already got stuck in our first traffic jam – and what could it be other than wild dogs blocking the road –

a pity was that same were extreme relaxed and lay down on the road which would have made to photograph them much easier but when we approached same stood up and the obligatory

running around of same started

and consequently a queue of cars followed the wild dogs coat-tails.

Gladly whilst following them with the camera on the knees we finally managed some close ups in between.

We were again surprised and extreme happy that we obviously had chosen the right road to drive and to cross their path again

and it was as if we had a déjà vu as also last year we spotted a pack of them during our very first full day in nearly the same area.

After spending nearly half an hour with the painted dogs they somehow disappeared between the thick bushes and although lots of cars waited for their return we decided to carry on as we got our shots. We paid a visit at Renosterpan and although same was deserted we could manage to get a shot of a steenbok on our way back

and we even got to see the her offspring although the grass was once again extreme high but gladly for us same stood motionless for a couple of seconds and exactly there was a gap in the grass.

Nevertheless same was a cutie and thereafter both disappeared and you only could guess where they walked as the only thing you saw was the moving grass.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Pumbaa wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:46 pm In the distance we saw a back of a rhino and the European bee eaters suffered already under the prevailing heat in the sun.

A pity was that the family of ground hornbills which we could spot next was extreme far away for some shots so we had to be satisfied in only watching them. On the bridge crossing the Biyamiti we were caught in the next traffic jam for that day and it took quite a while until we definitely saw something.

Someone was talking about a palm tree in the riverbed and so we simply looked under the one and only palm tree in same and found a sleeping beauty with a full belly.

In the beginning not much happened the sleeping young male did simply what lion do best and was only looking from time to time up into several directions, however,

although we looked also into all the directions as the lion did we could not trace any other member of the pride although I was confident that same where definitely not that far. Was it because of the upcoming traffic on the bridge or simply because it was about time the lion finally stood up and walked slowly into the thick area of the edge of the riverbed

and it was as if nothing was lying only recently under the palm tree besides his foot prints of course.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
23h23 hours ago

09:27
The hyena is so full but is refusing to leave the kill behind
H3, 1.9km S of Afsaal
Tinged by Poppie

Kruger Sightings
23h23 hours ago

09:18
Hyenas, a jackal and lots of vultures on a impala kill
H3, 1.9km S of Afsaal
Tinged by Poppie

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Funny pic of the vulture ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
22h22 hours ago

10:30
Leopard sleeping a rock tunnel
H3, 17.8km S of S113
Near Afsaal
Tinged by Poppie

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
14m14 minutes ago

06:45
1 male leopard scent marking
H3, Kwaggas pan
Near Skukuza
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Barrys Bush Life

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a 2014 Heksie story:

Heksie wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 pm I was informed about lions at the S112 entrance so I turned to the H3, and oh how glad I was that I did it instead of turning back and taking the dirt to the S112. I got there and there was only one uno as well as a bakkie that stopped on the right side of the uno so I took my 4x4 and went a bit offroad to the left of the uno, we were 3 cars on my side but the opposite side of the lions were a traffic jam which I don’t want to be part of. There were 2 sub-adults, 6 cubs and 3 female lions. This sighting lasted for 10 minutes maybe but it was the best cub sighting I’ve ever had in the Park.

Afterwards one female passed my car with a sub-adult male and it is one of those whoops moments as she basically brushed my car as she passed and my car was switched off, I just froze in my car as my windows couldn’t wind up… The people in the uno looked at me with wide eyes and I just shrugged and then turned around as I wanted other people to enjoy the sighting as well.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3799&start=70

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Live from Frewells this morning, near Afsaal! :-0
image1.jpeg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”