Let me be the first - SLNP*

Kesheshe

Re: Let me be the first - SLNP

Post by Kesheshe »

Hi

The road from Chipata to Mfuwe is current being tarred (do not know if they are finished) but this was the worst part of the drive so should make access easier and quicker. This will make it possible to drive from Lusaka in 1 day but it will be a long drive.

During this trip we did not visit NLNP but it is on my list.

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

It is 555km from the edge of Lusaka to Chipata, and then I am not sure how long, because that entirely depends on the state of the roadworks north of Chipata.

Set off early from Lusaka. Ideally stay at Pioneer Camp on the Eastern edge, so you don't have to negotiate the awful traffic. Take it easy for the first 100km or so, because it is a winding and dangerous bit of road if you go too fast. Obey all instructions at the Kafue Bridge.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Very pretty Sausage tree flower O:V O:V O:V

Interesting find, the Spoonbill catching a frog :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

enjoying the roadworks!

Toko

Post by Toko »

nan, I wonder if it is a Western Banded Snake Eagle -O-

Perhaps you post it here for ID, Kesheshe O**

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

maps of the park areas:

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Photos of the town

Mel you will be happy to know we did not camp as we needed a bit of a break as we where on a 6 week trip. some photo's of camp. We should have camped as the camp site looked great and right on the river with a nice swimming pool and bar area.

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Since there are no fences between the park and the town the residents are using chilly bushes to stop the elephants raiding their vegetable gardens.

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

The seasonal floodplains create an environment that supports a huge diversity of wildlife including over 100 species of mammals and over 470 species of birds as well as many reptiles, insects, amphibians and plants. A totally different experience from parks elsewhere in Africa, Luangwa offers a real immersion to the bush life in an attractive habitat of sausage trees and ox-bow lagoons.

The park is reputed to have the highest concentration of leopard in Africa. Pods of up to 300 hippos are possible to view in the dry season as the river shrinks and they are confined to areas of deep pools. The park’s elephant population is very healthy and it is the best place in Africa to see Puku. Large herds of buffalo move between the river and their grazing grounds and are often followed by lion. Zebra, waterbuck, impala, baboons and warthogs share the open plains with kudu and giraffe

The area now known as South Luangwa National Park was originally established to protect the thornicroft’s giraffe, a subspecies that can only be found in the Luangwa Valley.

The Luangwa River is the most intact major river system in Africa and is the life-blood of this 9059 km2 Park. The Park hosts a wide variety of wildlife, birds and vegetation. The now famous ‘walking safari’ originated in this Park and is still one of the finest ways to experience Africa’s pristine wilderness first-hand. The changing seasons add to the Park’s richness, ranging from; dry, bare bushveld in the winter, to a lush, green wonderland in the summer months. There are 60 different animal species and over 400 different bird species in South Luangwa National Park. The only notable exception is the rhino, sadly poached to extinction.

One of my favourite photos of the park.

Return to “Travel Tales of Zambia Parks”