Sanparks' Zonation Plan for Kruger NP- Mon Feb 20, 2012

Information & Discussion on Re-zoning of Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Sanparks' Zonation Plan for Kruger NP- Mon Feb 20, 2012

Post by Lisbeth »

From Sanparks Forum Re: Safari lodges and future plans Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm
gmlsmit wrote:Here below is an excerpt from what Dr. Hendricks is employed by SANParks, about the draft Zonation Plan, and which is self explanatory:

“SANParks Management and Scientists team revised the zonation system for the Kruger National Park.

In brief, a very long and detailed report of almost 30pages were produced. On request of the CE I had to convert the detail report into a succinct version of no more than five pages.

The detail report would be used for SANParks internal use whilst the summary document is use for ministerial approval.

The premise for its revision is based on the fact that the zoning plan for Kruger NP as it stands is devoid of the variables that affect it today and its for this reason why SANParks needed to re-think the entire zoning system, completely breaking from the past and embracing the realities of 21st century and the socio-economic pressures of a post-apartheid South Africa.

Regarding the Malelane hotel, the hotel development would fall within the Peripheral Development Zone (see attached high resolution map).

During the process of revising the Zonation Plan it was realized that more view shed and noise shed protection should be given to the wilderness zones in order to preserve the ‘wilderness’ experience. In order to give better protection to the wilderness zones an internal buffer was created i.e. the Peripheral Development Zone (PDZ) of 2km along the Park boundary in which limited development can take place.

This zone should facilitate any future tourism development activities away from sensitive wilderness areas and associated buffers. Along with this, the wilderness zones were pushed further back away from the boundary, particularly in the south-west of the park, where the wilderness qualities are compromised by external peripheral human activities.

‘The PDZ offers opportunities for development that does not impact the adjacent zones, these include Park Access Gates with a development limit of 250 m into the core and activities and accommodation facilities not exceeding 250 beds’.

A viewshed analysis showed that external human activities are visible for 2km into the core of the park and therefore informed the 2km internal buffer zone (the PDZ) in which limited development can take place i.e. the Malelane Hotel. See the attached map illustrating the location of the proposed hotel development within the PDZ.

The process from here onwards is for the CE to establish how best to engage the Minister towards the approval. An official submission to the DG DEA has been prepared.

The above goes back to September 2011 - again NO PUBLIC PARTICIPATION whatsoever.

Unfortunately I cannot post the PDZ plan referred to above on forum.

However if anyone would like to see it please PM me with you email address and I will gladly forward it.

What this boils down to is that SANParks will be permitted to build hotels/lodges whatever accommodating <250 guests within the 2 km wide PDZ.

This will then open the door for the Malelane Safari Resort as well as the hotel/lodges/what you may prefer calling them at Orpen, Phalaborwa, Shangoni and possibly Punda Maria or Pafuri - SANParks are

I may also just mention that on 8 February 2012 a Government Gazette was published in which planned buffer zones 2 km wide (in which development will be restricted), on the outside all National Parks will see the light.

According to my interpretation of what I read - the PDZ and the buffer zones are contradictory.

The Zonation Plan for the KNP drawn up in 2006 is still current. The MSR site on this plan is a Wilderness Area, zoned as Primitive with a High Biodiversity Sensitivity value.

No one can as yet been able to explain to me what has changed since, except for the idea of SANParks who saw an opportunity of building a hotel after the Malelane Sun Hotel had burnt down in 2009.

No one can as at this moment provide me with ANY documentary evidence of the Need and Desirability study done by anyone which indicates that a hotel/hotels are required or needed. What is available is that >85% of the respondents to surveys done on behalf of SANParks by the School for Tourism and leisure of the University of North West have indicated that the KNP should remain as is.

In conclusion I am very regularly in contact with the authorities handling this process and it now appears that the EIA process will not be completed before end March 2012.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Sanparks' Zonation Plan - Mon Feb 20, 2012

Post by Lisbeth »

lowveldboy wrote:Thanks for moving it while I was typing Lis, making me feel like I have lost my mind :lol: :lol:

Plan A - bust

Now for plan B! I have my own opinion on this. They will make it happen, and will not give up. The kickbacks and bribes have already been paid to the brass. They thus need to make this happen out of fear of being uncovered. The effort and hassle that went into this would IMO have been too much for them, but now they have to make it happen!!! My opinion!
Sprocky wrote:This part of the statement earned me a serious rap on the knuckles on the SP forum about a year ago...

This will then open the door for the Malelane Safari Resort as well as the hotel/lodges/what you may prefer calling them at Orpen, Phalaborwa, Shangoni and possibly Punda Maria or Pafuri.

Now suddenly they allow it on their forum. O/ SANParks have denied a few times that there are any plans for more than just the two at Skukuza and Malelane.

I think we are only scratching the tiniest surface layer of the proverbial ice-berg! O/

What more have these denialists got up their sleeve for nature loving Joe Soap and his family and friends??? :evil:
Richprins wrote:The PDZ plan, should not be confused with with the 3km buffer zone protecting "views" outside the Park and the rezoning of the Malelane Hotel area as "high - use" to enable development, or with the conservation buffer zones incorporating areas outside Kruger such as the Southern Moz strip, and the older areas on the Western boundary.

The "3 km boundary buffer" outside is rather a cynical attempt at preventing all future tourism development within sight of the Park south of the Crocodile River, and to a lesser extent North of the Sabie River, by government mandate. Just to try and ensure more tourism dollars for Kruger.

It is ridiculous in the extreme, and obviously contrived and unconstitutional, in my opinion.

It is entirely irrelevant regarding the other 90% of the Park's borders, and in fact would negate some new concessions trying to open on the Mozambique border South of Massingir, which Sanparks have no problem with, as per that "buffer zone" agreement! O/
Sprocky wrote:RP, why do they lie to us? O/

The area zoned for Orpen is outside of KNP, the area for Phalaborwa is inside KNP fences. When I raised this some time back I was told to stop speculating and bring proof. Now if I can't get my hands on proof due to them denying the fact, even when the stories are in some public eyes, what are we to do and why do they deny it instead of coming forward with their plans???

I say again,....this is similar to the "Arms Deal", the truth will come out and somebody will be accountable! \O
Richprins wrote:Well, I think they lied about future developments originally because these had either been promised to Rezidor, or more likely because they had not yet secured a "business partner" for those, and were cautious...in fact they probably haven't yet secured a partner.

Remember, it's all about money, and even the dimmest prospective "investor" needs assurances, as per this crap! :roll:

SP management is just reacting and modifying their plan.
Bushcraft wrote:Just posted the below that side - lets see how long it takes before they shut me up again

I’m not sure if I’m misinterpreting all of this, but I get the impression that this has been purposefully “reassessed” to open the door for future development in other areas.

This possibility and the areas were mentioned by a few mites 18 months ago, which was denied by SANParks and mites were accused of speculation and got in trouble for it. I.e. plans for opening the doors for hotels in other areas. Well, based on this they weren't speculating!!

The 2km buffer zone outside of the park? Does this ensure that only SANParks can develop in that area thereby ensuring all the profit?

Isn’t this ensuring developers, the guys with the bucks, etc, the reassurance that they will have limited competition, thereby giving investors, who are only in it for the money, peace of mind?

I have seen many rapped on the knuckles, accused of trolling, etc for mentioning what is now a reality and since this isn't visible to guests, many won’t even know of the assessments
Richprins wrote:I edited my attempt at explanation a bit...it is pretty tricky! :lol:

Will try to show it better once we have the graphic up! \O
Mel wrote:There you go, RP:

Richprins wrote:Thank you, Mel!

Now pay attention, class!

For many years the Hotel area was in the brown "low-intensity use" zone, which actually covered the whole area in the picture, virtually.

Then when naughty kids started complaining that the hotel did not fit into the parameters of a "low-intensity" zone, the good uncles at Sanparks quickly redrew the land-use map so that the hotel area magically fell into a "high-intensity" area! Abracadabra!

Then the big bad Government department told the good uncles at Sanparks "No! This does not seem right! Try again!'

So the good uncles at Sanparks got a new uncle, bought him a box of crayons, and he came up with a new painting! Abracadabra!

The Tar road now suddenly causes a large area of high-intensity use, in red, two km or so wide! :shock:

Chief uncle also sponsored the PDZ idea, which means that everywhere within 2km of the boundary fence now suddenly qualifies as an "Ultra High Density Development and that is the end of it You Rascist Purist Conservatives use zone".

The new uncle with the crayons is a bulls supporter so made it pink.

But, brilliantly, there are little islands of "primitive", ie. paradise for animals, land use, in pretty green, so the animals may not complain and know perfectly well they can relax in these areas! Abracadabra!
Richprins wrote:Meanwhile, other rich uncles complained that they didn't want anyone outside the Park to make any money from tourists, or spoil their view of the sugar cane fields, so Chief uncle suggested a 3km-wide "buffer zone" OUTSIDE the Park, prohibiting development! Abracadabra!

Uncle crayon got straight to work, and made the striped zebra area! \O

And some weird new proposed roads including a lookout over a golf course. Unfortunately uncle crayon has no idea of how the tar roads actually run in that area, and got a bit excited regarding slipways and intersections all over the place!

Now Chief uncle will show the painting to the mean old Government department again!

Abracadabra!
Mel wrote:If I use the word 'attention' only once in class, everybody will be fast asleep after half a minute or so. :roll:

I have to admit, I got very much confused with the terms of low and high densitiy and actually
thought it was the other way around regarding developments. So thanks for that lecture, teach. \O

As for the width of the high densitiy zones - I don't want to envision what it could mean...
And the pink zone is now all around the park borders? :shock:
iNdlovu wrote:So 'poof', up in smoke goes the trust land and the idea of putting up an hotel there instead of in the park. Chief Uncle has to be the most devious uncle I've ever heard of. Why bother building the bridge over the crocodile if he was going to effectively shut the trust down anyway. And to think of all the pomp and ceremony at it's opening (reported here on this forum a while back)
No wonder the local communities hate Sanparks, they sell them a lemon every time. Way to go Chief Uncle and you say you want to help the locals....bulltweed. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Lisbeth wrote:Teach, your explanation is limpid and now I understand very well what on earth happened to the original zone map :roll:

Outrageous O/ O/ :evil:
Mel wrote:One thing I don't understand at all is how on earth is Uncle Crayon
able to do a rezoning just by himself? I mean, the park is national
heritage and surely EVERY change that could lead to further changes
should be sanctioned by other institutions, government, public, ... ???
Richprins wrote:Ja, Mel, if so desired the pink zone could run around the entire Park. It was specifically designed to get around the zoning issue for this and future developments, though!

Shangoni is in a totally primitive zone, and Orpen and Phalaborwa "low-density.

iNdy, I think there is already a lodge at Mdjedjane, but that may be outside the 3km buffer zone anyway. Remember, the Department still has to have the final say! :twisted:

The "uncles" developing the Sabie River strip on the Mozambique side will not be impressed by the 3km outer buffer zone prohibiting development, but presumably that will not apply to Moz, as the logic pertaining to the creation of said zone will magically fall away as it is another country.
Lisbeth wrote:Mel, only lately I have started to really understand that with our european background we will never be able to understand how the establisment in RSA work or rather does not work :shock:

Uncle Crayon has the blessings of the good uncles, who have the blessings of the chief uncle, who has the blessings of the "bad" government or at least part of it.......
Mel wrote:I wouldn't say there isn't corruption in Europe,
but I think the scope of this is just too much for my little brain. :?

But thanks for your respective explanations, Lis and RP.
Bushcraft wrote:
Lisbeth wrote:Mel, only lately I have started to really understand that with our european background we will never be able to understand how the establisment in RSA work or rather does not work :shock:

Uncle Crayon has the blessings of the good uncles, who have the blessings of the chief uncle, who has the blessings of the "bad" government or at least part of it.......
Lis, I think that you are close to the way things operate \O
Lisbeth wrote:Too bad! O/ O/ :evil:
Richprins wrote:The "Mean government department" are seeing none of the hotel money yet, if one wants to complicate things more, and be cynical! :lol:
iNdlovu wrote:No, but the uncles will, if they haven't already O/
Richprins wrote:Another interesting point is that the "disturbance/development factor" regarding roads impacting on Kruger used to be 2km either side of all roads, which was "downsized" by Sanparks lately, to come up with the 0.00001% type of argument promoting an excuse for further development.

Now it seems the roads suddenly present a large development area, showing existing utilisation? :shock:

And for some reason the tar roads have a far bigger impact?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Confirmed recently that the hotel scoping report and EIA are still on hold pending ministerial approval of the Zonation Plan.

SanParks submitted this to the Minister a while ago. An ex-member also wrote to the Minister two weeks ago requesting clarity on the issue, but there is total silence! O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Why am I not surprised?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Yap, let's just call it "method in the madness."

Heh,.. H.e

Return to “Proposed Re-zoning, KNP”