New Gates for Kruger National Park

Information & Discussion on Other Development Plans for Kruger
iNdlovu

Re: New Gates for Southern Kruger

Post by iNdlovu »

What about security on getting to these gates. As it is, tourists are extremely nervous on using the road from White_River to Numbi as well as the road from Hazeyview to Phabeni & Kruger gates.

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

-O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
BunnyHugger

Post by BunnyHugger »

More gates = more access for poachers. 0-

Yes, I know they come over the border from Moz illegally, but like they get their intel on the whereabouts of the Rhinos from somewhere.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Have ploughed through the rest of the pdf, and it makes for very interesting reading for us locals, and is a very professional document!

The exploitation of KNP as a tourism destination is mentioned more than 50 times, but also the protection of Kruger's borders from encroachment by settlements and illegal land invasions! \O

A very interesting idea is using the Nsikazi Railway line that runs all along the Eastern border of the Southern District as an additional avenue for tourists to enter the area of the two gates...presumably to then get off and stay at the outer hotels and enter the Park in OSV's?

Maybe not the worst idea ever...but that will take a long time, I think!

Short term is Luphisi Gate...there are existing private tourism establishments nearby, linked to Mthethumushwa and the general mountain scenery...so don't know how that will work out? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Here's the map, but it't not the best quality. :-?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Poplap

Post by Poplap »

BunnyHugger wrote:More gates = more access for poachers. 0-

Yes, I know they come over the border from Moz illegally, but like they get their intel on the whereabouts of the Rhinos from somewhere.

Many SA citizens currently in court or under suspicion, BH. From vets to farmers. O/ O/ O/ :evil: :evil: :evil:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

This gate will have to havea road RIGHT THROUGH THE WLHUTER TRAIL WILDERNESS AREA!!!! Why not make 3 more gates between Malalane and Croc Bridge and 2 more between Numbi and Phabeni and 6 more between Kruger Gate and Phalaborwa and 10 more between Phalaborwa and Punda Gate and DO a PROPER job of WRECKING Kruger..I hate all this half hearted attempts at trashing the Park :-( :-( :evil: :evil:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The interesting thing about many of these ventures is that the capital outlay may be mind-boggling compared to the possible benefits received, depending on tenders awarded etc.

For example, these two gates could require big bridges over the Nsikazi railway line, for a start. Then at the very least low-level bridges over the Nsikazi stream.

Many, many tens of millions of rands!

Alternatively the Gates get a level-crossing on a dirt road going over the railway line...?

All very interesting! :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

More than interesting I'd say shocking. The consequences of certain decisions are very often a surprise, very expensive ones in money and damage as they have not been foreseen by short sighted decision makers 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: New Gates for Kruger National Park

Post by Richprins »

Luphusi Gate is starting up again, a new conglomerate called Nkosi City mentioned it in today's paper....a ghastly story, will wait for soft copy! 0*\

Return to “Proposed Developments, KNP”