Developments at Nossob

Information and Discussion on Development Plans for Kgalagadi
Polentswa

Re: Developments at Nossob

Post by Polentswa »

Lisbeth wrote:It was another century and other times. Impossible not to be nostalgic!
I know this area WELL. It CANT take this extra pressure on DELICATE & SCARCE resources and must be Fought against with every ounce of energy ..This Govt is Ruining S Africa Fast ..Its got nothing to do with Nostalgia ..Just pure unadulterated fact ..Like there is snow in Switzerland in Winter period

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We stopped over at Nossob several times while going from Uri to GK forwards and backwards again.

There is no visible building activity going on at the moment whatsoever. The riverbed on both sides of the hide where luxury accommodation is to be built still looks the very same as before and within the camp there wasn't any sign of building or the commencing of it.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Welcome back, Mel 0/0 O0

Maybe they have changed their mind lol I doubt it though :no:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

it will be for me... a bit later =O:

:ty: Mel

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Already more than two months ago, not sure, how I missed this :o0ps:

New Nossob development in Kgalagadi on hold
April 20, 2015, 12:30 PM

Visitors can look forward to new chalets and new fully serviced campsites in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. But for now plans to build ten new river-facing chalets and 10 fully serviced campsites at Nossob have been out on hold.

According to SANParks’ Ben van Eeden, Tourism Manager at Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, concerned members of the public appealed against SANParks’ decision to create more accommodation. The new luxury units were due to open in 2016 – ten chalets to the north of the hide. The existing road will be redirected through the camp and behind the new chalets, just as at Mata Mata.

“No contractors are currently on site. The process has been put on hold and will be investigated by the minister of environmental affairs. We will have to wait until the correct procedures have been followed.”

Van Eeden says members of the public have every right to appeal such a decision. “They are worried that SANParks want to develop the Kgalagadi as a whole, but the idea is merely to create more accommodation and better the current ablution facilities. It is all about supply and demand. The environment will not in any way be negatively affected. The planned development forms part of an already existing footprint.”

The new camping site ablution facility at Mata Mata has already been placed in operation.

There is currently construction work underway at Mata Mata Rest Camp due to the building of two additional riverfront chalets that will soon be completed. At Grootkolk Wilderness Camp the waterhole has been moved from under the tree to a spot closer to the units and more central. All four units can now see the waterhole.

Van Eeden added that SANParks will have to wait until the minister has reached a conclusion regarding construction plans at Nossob. “Then we will be able to give the public more information.”

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I wonder why the I&AP weren't informed about this -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I have stopped wondering 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I regularly googled regarding this development, but I stumble over this piece of information only today, and only by chance.
There is another shred of information on the SPF, but more like gossiping than anything else: A visitor reports having enquired
about when the building would start and got the reply that there was something wrong with the paperwork, that's why it
hadn't started yet. Funny answer, IMO, and once again goes to show how reliable information from staff really is.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

They have got so accustomed having to hide things, that even when they can tell the truth, they try to steer clear of the argument O**

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

BluTuna wrote:As for the building.
While we were at Nossob, they started on the alterations. The south gate has already been moved about 30 metres south and they started to put in a new fence. This goes north from the back of the hide on the river side of the road. We were told that once the new fence was complete, they would be taking down the old fence. The plan is to build 12 luxury chalets overlooking the river to the north of the hide; a bit like they have done at Mata Mata I guess.
The north gate is now moved as well and when you drive out you'll have the reception, shop and laundry on your right and side, the chalets with the numbers 9 A to 9 C on your left. Then it's pretty straight to the fence and you'll eventually be joined again with the original road. It's quite a way though from entry to exit, methinks.

Everything else is just as it was apart from the fact that the is a small fenced in area on the left hand side, just after chalets 9 A to 9 C. There was one caravan parked, so it might be the area for the workers. And there was a tiny bit of building material stored but this might only be temporary.

The good news on moving the gates is, that they work better again now since they had to have a make over to get them fitted. :twisted:

The sandy stretches on the way to Nossob have not improved though and I'm sure it's to do with the increased building truck traffic. In fact, we got stuck behind a stuck one (as in we could carry on because the truck made a road block).

Return to “Proposed Developments, KTP”