Additional Units at Kiliekrankie & Urikaruus

Information and Discussion on Development Plans for Kgalagadi
Mel
Global Moderator

Urikaruus

Post by Mel »

Okay... I never thought I'd do it... but we booked the new unit at Urikaruus. I'd kill for staying there so I'll be hypocrat enough to be opposed to that development beforehand but using it when it has been established :o0ps: :twisted:

I'll add pix once I'll get there when sifting through my photos, but upfront I'd like to mention that the new unit has lots of downsides, but also a few advantages:

on the plus side:
- privacy from the other units
- great birding because of the many trees around it
- good view to your left
- gated parking: lions and hyenas don't bite your tires anymore
- mosquito mesh frames that allow you to open and close windows easily
- enough space for suitcases and all other travel gadgets
- for shade you can sit in the "garage" and still see the riverbed (and the waterhole through a wooden fence like at Nossob hide)

on the down side:
- only one level: with two people it's dfficult for one to have a nap while the other is still moving around
- evening photography: totally against the sun when trying to capture animals at the waterhole
- general visibility worse than in the other units
- steep staircase to get into the unit
- kitchen units, aka cupboards already not closing properly anymore (after only FOUR months of being on the market 0- )
- no shade after about 4 pm... and we were not even in the real summer yet!
- entrance door faces the afternoon sun and has no blacking out the sun which means it heats up the unit big time (again: it wasn't even summer yet and actually, it was exceptionally cool for this time of the year, but the cabin was rather hot in the afternoon anyways 0*\ )
- no visibility to the camp assistant's unit in case of emergency
- shower built in so lopsided that water doesn't drain appropriately :O^
- braai again built in the middle of the balcony which uses up space at night when the fire is going

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Re: Additional Units at Kiliekrankie & Urikaruus

Post by nan »

oups... and what about the bed.... a big one... very big one, or we can separate into two :-?

or is like the new one at KTC O-/
it's for my friend and me in oct/nov. 2017 ;-)

and electricity maybe (it seems the fridge is an electric one)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Additional Units at Kiliekrankie & Urikaruus

Post by Mel »

It's a honeymoon suite, nan, so it's the same set-up as in KTC: you can't seperate the bed (but I'll have to admit that the matress makes for comfy sleeping!)

This unit is fitted with an electrical fridge and a gas stove that works on electric spark too. But the other units are still on gas for now. Although, it seems more likely that they'll be replaced by "proper" fridges than the cabins at Grootkolk O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Proposed Developments, KTP”