Hunting

Information and Discussions on Hunting
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Hunting

Post by Richprins »

I've actually been to that reserve, and it is fine. No different from any of the others over the decades of being linked to Kruger. \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A couple of bad apples should not be allowed to ruin all the good ones \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Dear Wildies,

I just signed the campaign: TELL TANZANIA TO RE-BAN TROPHY HUNTING

It would mean the world to me if you could also add your name to this important issue. Every name that is added builds momentum around the campaign and makes it more likely for us to get the change we want to see.

Will you join me by taking action on this campaign?

https://www.vuma.earth/petitions/tell-t ... ucket=ETan

After you've signed the petition please also take a moment to share it with others. It's super easy – all you need to do is forward this email.

Thank you!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Done.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

okie

Re: Hunting brings much to SA economy

Post by okie »

Digging up some " old " history from this forum , below something from then Minister Molewa about impact/contribution by hunting industry to the country's economy ---- R1.1 bn ---

Flutterby wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 am 30-10-2012 SAPA

Johannesburg - The hunting industry has contributed millions to the country's economy in past years, Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs Edna Molewa said on Monday.

In the 2010, hunting season, for which comprehensive information was available, total revenue of approximately R1.1bn was generated by the local and trophy hunting industries collectively.

"This amount only reflects the revenue generated through accommodation and species fees. The true revenue is therefore substantially higher, as this amount does not even include revenue generated through the associated industries as a result of the multiplier effect," she said.

Molewa was speaking at the launch of the first Hunting Indaba in Sun City.

....... etc etc etc .......

Molewa pledged that her department would have a good working relationship and would co-operate with the hunting sector.

"I am committed to strengthening and improving the relationship between my department and this sector," she said.
Now , 6 years later , I read further on the matter , and according to Statistics , income generated by the hunting industry in 2017 , amounted to around R4.674 bn , which of course is fantastic growth for any industry ;-) .
And this industry employed a lot of people ---total 7634 ....

On the other hand , however , South Africa Agriculture ( of which hunting is a part of ) , had a total income of R302 bn , and employed a total of 748113 people .
In other words , hunting employed about 1 % of people in agricultural sector , and generated about 1.5 % in value .

In addition , Tourism industry at that time , employed more than 716000 people , and generated R127 bn on income .
Again , hunting therefore consists but a very very small fraction of the total :O^

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I daresay a lot of hunting takes place on marginal or non-agricultural land, though. Huge areas are effectively "conserved" and protected that could otherwise be subject to informal settlement and destruction? Job-losses are escalating in the agricultural sector due to drought and political problems, while the hunting sector is much less-affected.

One should also take extra note of the "multiplier effect" of foreigner hunters whose dollars and Euros are incredibly important as hard currency in an ailing economy. People don't travel to SA to watch mielies grow?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

The figures speak for themselves . One percent of anything is still one percent -- there is no multiplier effect .......
Obviously nobody wants to look at how mielies grow ( that's not an argument my friend ) , and of course , no tourist comes to South Africa to look at a dead impala either 0*\

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:25 amOne should also take extra note of the "multiplier effect" of foreigner hunters whose dollars and Euros are incredibly important as hard currency in an ailing economy. People don't travel to SA to watch mielies grow?
Absolutely \O

okie

Post by okie »

The figures in the statistical report INCLUDES the full impact of all income generated by hunting , including travel , accommodation , taxidermy , employment , alcohol consumption ............ ;-)

Enough is enough

Return to “Hunting”