The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
RogerFraser
Site Admin

The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by RogerFraser »

https://www.iol.co.za/news/opinion/the- ... a-15614279

Statistics South Africa on Monday released ‘’Tourism and Migration’’ and the results presented a story of doom and gloom. The results reflect a decrease in tourism arrivals to South Africa. The comparison reflects that in March 2018, there were 3 560 382 arrivals compared to 3 841 519 in April 2017.

The figures reflect an almost 7% decline in foreign arrivals. Tourism has been a perennial creator of good news, as it has shown growth rates greater than the GDP of the economy. The disappointing results have been met with the habit of lies by our politicians. 'Day Zero' has been blamed as the primary cause for the decline of tourism numbers in South Africa.

This is an untruth as the water crisis in the Western Cape has emerged as a reliable excuse, unfortunately lies have short legs. The truth is that decline in tourism can be attributed to an inability of the Department of Home Affairs and Department of Tourism to finalise the visa regulations. In addition, the paucity of aviation capacity to South Africa, limits the number of tourist arrivals.

Our neighbouring countries such as Zimbabwe have declared open skies, and they benefit with more tourism arrivals.

South Africa has chosen not to declare open skies and have an unfavourable visa system, and these two own goals are the cause of the decline in tourism numbers.

The visa issue could have been resolved 2 years ago, but there is no political will to resolve the visa issue. Instead the habit of untruths, is not affording the National Department of Tourism the ability to engage on the elephant in the room, the visa issue.

The objectives contained in the National Tourism Sector Strategy (NTSS) that South Africa must be within the top 20 tourism destinations by the year 2020 were not achieved because of the visa issue.

After the Tourism Indaba 2017, the language was that South Africa must attract 5 million tourists within the next 5 years, will not be achieved.

The visa issues and air access remain the major challenges that have contributed to a decline in tourism arrivals to South Africa, and no amount of convenient amnesia will deflect from this reality.

The publicity around Day Zero cannot be a convenient excuse to deflect attention from the failure to resolve the visa issue by Home Affairs and Tourism. The decrease of tourism arrivals, means less jobs. One permanent job is created for every 12 tourists that arrive in South Africa.

* Unathi Sonwabile Henama is lecturer at the Tshwane University of Technology in the Department of Tourism Management

** The views expressed here are not necessarily those of Independent Media.

Flutterby

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by Flutterby »

What a mess!! :evil:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I wonder if crime is not also a factor? O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:38 am I wonder if crime is not also a factor? O**
My first thought when I started reading and was wondering why it was not mentioned O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

:yes: Typical .gov sweep the true causes under the carpet .How many warning travel advisories have been issued to travelers by other governments about crime in SA .How many tourists have left the country after being attacked .Was there not a whole bus of tourist the other day that left KNP O** Me thinks the horse has bolted and next year the figures will be way lower O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I am afraid so :yes:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

And what about crime infested private companies in the tourism industry ?

I not one of our own contributors currently falsely extorted for payment of damages to a hire car ?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

100ponder wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:40 am
I not one of our own contributors currently falsely extorted for payment of damages to a hire car ?
:-? 100p?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

If one looks on the TripAdvisor forum, the main questions that keep getting asked are:

Water situation in Cape Town
Safety/crime
Additional requirements for travelling with a child

So clearly these are the issues that are making tourists think twice about coming to SA on holiday

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

100ponder wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:40 am I not one of our own contributors currently falsely extorted for payment of damages to a hire car ?
This also features regularly on TA forum. People regularly complain about exorbitant charges for tiny scratches.
But more as a complaint after a trip.
Seems to happen with the smaller, one man car hire companies, rather than the bigger international companies.
On a personal note I have used Europcar and Avis regularly and have never had any issues with this.

Another big complaint is people that fill up their hire car on the way to the airport. But then the car hire company takes the car to the petrol station around the corner, squeezes in another litre or two and then also charges an admin fee.
People see this additional charge on their credit card and feel aggrieved. However it is in the small print of their contract. So they have no room to complain
I know that they will take the car to be filled up again, so hand it back with whatever is left in the tank. And whatever I get charged, is for the fuel to refill the tank again
Last edited by Dzombo on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”