Sundowner or night guided game drive

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
gregoldfield

Sundowner or night guided game drive

Post by gregoldfield »

Hi Everyone

I´m visiting Addo staying in the main rest camp in July of this year and on top of the self drive wildlife spotting. I´m looking at the guided game drives which would people recommend the sundowner or night game drive ? (or both or neither) I would be greatful for any info and recommendations you can give

many thanks

Greg Oldfield

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Sundowner or night guided game drive

Post by Mel »

Hi Greg and welcome to the forums \O

My Initial thought when I read your post was "I wouldn't be keen on either"... But that's only down to the fact that June and July are the coldest months in Addo when temperatures can be well below 10°C at night and being driven around in an open vehicle under those conditions wouldn't be my cup of tea. :o0ps:

As for the quality of either sunset or night drive - it all depends on the guide you get and being at the right place at the right time, I guess. -O-
Looking back at the temps, I'd probably opt for the sunset drive since the critters might lay low in colder conditions which you'll definitely have later in the evening.
Also, you can try out how things go on the sunset drive and still book a nightdrive for the next day or the day after if you were happy the first time around. I can't imagine that they'll be sold out up front. :-?

Maybe PJL has some more intelligence to share since he's the local down there. \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hello, Greg, and congrats on your first post! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum 0/*

As Mel says, Addo is kind of my local park, but I haven't been on a guided drive for a number of years. I think given the potential for cooler temperatures, the sunset one might be the better option if I had to choose between the two \O

If you enter the park at opening time (I think it'll be 6:30am at that time of year), then it'll be dark so you could have something of a night drive as well :-0

Feel free to PM with any questions you've got about the park/accommodation/good game viewing areas etc and I'll happily help where I can X#X

gregoldfield

Post by gregoldfield »

Thanks for the advise , will probably book the sundowner for first day see how it goes from there.

:ty:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

In any case: Enjoy Addo! O/\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”