Addo Outings 2017

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo Outings 2017

Post by Mel »

I wouldn't call this quiet really... Lovely sightings - especially with the hyena pups and the cute little ellie O\/

Had a good laugh at the caption regarding some people having a hard time finding the hyenas =O: =O: =O:

Glad to hear Addo had some good rain. Even with the green visible, it still looks dry 0:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

As always incredible shots, PJL,

and for sure once again amazing sightings - Love the shots of the elands - Would love to get such a close up once in my life :-0

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
PJL

Post by PJL »

We managed to squeeze a morning trip to the park in last weekend, and despite my best intentions it wasn't an early start 0*\

I was really hoping to try and find Josie and her cubs, as S&H were still yet to see them. All 8 lions (Roy, Nomad, Dawn, Duffy, Josie + cubs) had been around Mbotyi during the week so we figured they must be somewhere either up Ngulube direction or perhaps towards Harveys tree -O-

The kids decided they wanted to go round Vukani, but it was fairly quiet until a load of jackal started crying. We did however see a lone ostrich egg... perhaps this is the decoy to keep eyes away from wherever the real nest is 0'

There wasn't much else going on, so we decided upon Ngulube for our next loop, but friends called me to say they had found Josie on the southern side of Harveys loop. Naturally we were very grateful for the info, but by the time we got there, Dawn, Duffy, Josie and the cubs had dropped into a low section of bush that was out of view 0*\

We couldn't really tell which way they would travel, so we tracked up and down until we finally hit some luck and managed to catch them as they walked up and along a fire break O/\ O/\

It was great to see them, and we checked on some maps to see where they might be heading. Harveys loop is really long and winding, however if you're a lion it's only about 3.5km walking from the southern side to the northern side of the loop, so we scoured the northern fire breaks to see if they would appear but without luck. 0:

The northern side of Harveys had lots of kudu, including this handsome chap O:V

Wayne's Valley had a lone buffalo bull complete with an oxpecker maintenance crew member ^Q^ ^Q^

On the hillsides up from Wayne's Valley a couple of secretary birds were strutting their stuff

After a break at Jacks we ventured up to the hyena den at Rooidam. It's good to see that the park have placed rocks at the side of the road to stop people driving too close to the den, as there had been some tire tracks pretty much over where they live O/ O/

We were fortunate to see them out and about again as they enjoyed some winter sunshine O:V

With time running out we had to head south and out the park, stopping for a couple of nice sightings along the way.... a bushpig couple making their way down the hillside, and a bushbuck ewe in a clearing O:V

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Great that you managed to see the lions.........just ;-) \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Another amazing adventure across Addo lol

Wonder how long that ostrich egg really fulfilled its possible duty before it was discovered by e.g. the hyenas and slurped empty O**

Well, you had the magnets on board, so I'm really not surprised that you managed to find lion AND hyena. lol

But the bushpig... :-0 :-0 :-0 Awesome! \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Some great sightings! \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Jeez, you work hard, Peej! :shock: \O ^Q^

I suspect a spot of hamsterism, but what can one do? =O:

Jolly interesting sightings, and I am very curious about the mystery egg! :-? 0=

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

As always brilliant pictures, PJL O/\ O/\ O/\

Love the Kudu and the hyaena and great to see bushpig and the lions ^Q^ :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
PJL

Post by PJL »

As always, thanks to you all for your comments on this thread X#X X#X

We recently took a diversion through Addo on our way up to Mountain Zebra - you can read all about it here: https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7867

And this of course was the reason for the diversion... Josie, Dawn, Duffy & the cubs on a buffalo kill on Vukani loop O/\ O\/ O/\ O\/

The cubs sure are growing up fast now! ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wow, great scoop! The cubs still have a bit of the cute look left, but not for long now :-( lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”