Addo Outings 2018

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Addo Outings 2018

Post by PJL »

I think it's time I updated this thread somewhat!! :o0ps: :o0ps:

Some highlights from our time staying at Nyathi back in late March...

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow PJL, some stunning pics! \O I especially like the ostrich chick! ^Q^

PJL

Post by PJL »

An afternoon trip into the park in early April when Josie and her clan had made a kill on Mbotyi loop

Followed by the evening excitement of the lions facing off with a buffalo herd

PJL

Post by PJL »

Yet more lions the very next day in early April... another hartebeest kill - this time at Peasland waterhole

During the heat of the day we left the lions to snooze and enjoyed the antics of the Hapoor pool party O:V

Followed by some more close encounters with the lions in the evening X#X

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Great sightings and pics ^Q^ ^Q^ :-0

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks Flutts & Lis \O

The past 4 months have been extremely busy due to home renovation work which I was managing myself 0*\ 0*\

So we didn't manage many visits to Addo at all during that time. However one weekend in late August we simply had to get away from all the house mayhem so we popped up for lunch at the main camp and then took a leisurely drive through the park during the afternoon. On Nzipondo loop we had a nice bokmakierie up close

Further along the loop at the Domkrag dam lookout point (where you can get out your vehicle) there was an elephant drinking just below the viewing area O:V

A herd of zebra then also came to drink.... there's always one who doesn't follow correct drinking procedures 0*\ lol

Gorah loop was all rather quiet, but on the way back down from Carols Rest we found a meerkat clan O/\ O/\

Heading south it was one of those quiet afternoons in the park. South of Marion Baree we came across a jackal buzzard devouring something

We scouted around the southern loops in search of cats, but there wasn't any sign of them this time. There were a few buffalo on Vukani loop and then a nicely lit kudu in the evening sun on Mbotyi \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When I follow your outings to Addo, I get a terrible itch and want to go back right away O/\ O/\

Marvellous bird pics ^Q^ ^Q^ and I love the meerkats. the zebras are not bad either ;-) \O

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks Lis \O

Last weekend we also managed to sneak a visit in to Addo. This time an early start and we were in the park at 7am :-)

We had heard that Melvin & Gibson had been seen on Harveys loop the day before so we took Vukani first in case they had wandered that way at all. There wasn't any sign of lions, but we did find a very cute young mongoose with its mom at their den O\/ O\/

Harveys loop was unfortunately quiet until we reached the crossroads where there was a good size herd of buffalo including some big bulls

Lions have been seen quite regularly between Arizona and the Paterson side gate, so we took a trip right down to the gate, but again the cats weren't to be found. At the gate the guard came out to check if we needed to exit, but as he did so a hyena popped out of nowhere! I'm not sure who had the biggest fright... us, the guard or the hyena lol lol

Heading north into Wayne's Valley there were a couple of black-backed jackal right out in the open X#X

Further up the main road as we started getting closer to Marion Baree there were a few cars.... and this was the reason O/\ O/\ O/\

Josie, Dawn & Duffy were lying right out in the open next to the road. As we pulled into a nice spot it was clear that the girls had hunting intentions!

Initially we couldn't see what had captured their attention, but just round some bushes in front of us there were some warthog grazing. This could get interesting...

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Yes indeed :yes: O/\

Such a cute mongoose ^Q^ \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

That mongoose pup (?) is so cute! :-0

I love the lions in the flowers! :yes: ^Q^

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”